• Total voters

Richard Truman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra Preamum
Damn. When did this forum get so toxic. Just what some input here guys! Not trying to act like I have the most special car in the world!
Some of the people can be
Damn. When did this forum get so toxic. Just what some input here guys! Not trying to act like I have the most special car in the world!
SOME of the posts are Narcissistic in nature and totality unnessary .
Sponsored

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra A91 (Refraction)
i think no matter what anyone on here says it won't justify or gratify whatever choice YOU end up making.

the A91 edition is one of the most special of all of the limited editions because of the unique colour that was only available on the "A91" nobody can predict the future when it comes to value of a car but there's a few factors that normally contribute to cars that appreciate

- rarity (you have one of the rarest colours)

-exclusivity (they only made the "A91 EDITION" for 1 year)

- condition (you have low miles and have claimed to baby the car)

- lineage (ford gt for example it has a rich history with previous models so when the new one came out is already had big pull just by attaching the "gt" nameplate, The "supra" nameplate is well known and i don't see it fading into the distance)

given all of that its a personal choice you need to sort out on your own because you're the one owning it. the GT4 is a great car but it also has some known flaws like the gearing and the inherent nature of the motor being naturally aspirated. there is fixes to all of those problem but they are expensive and major. fixing the gearing requires a new gear set in the trans which is available but big money. if you get bored of the power your looking at 5 figures worth of mods to pick up maybe 50whp on the n/a setup or a deman stroker motor which is worth close to what a supra costs...

in terms of holding value a little more the 981 cayman gt4 is no longer the top of the food chain in terms of desirable caymans, it will hold its value because of it being a gt car but i don't see them going to a point of being worth more than msrp the 718 will likely be the end of the line for raw flat 6 caymans and those will likely be the ones that appreciate but 981 will just remain as a "cool" older porsche with age.

the supra on the other hand is one of the best "starting point" chassis's on sale today toyota/bmw gifted us with an amazing platform and it's up to the buyer to add more front camber , bigger tires and to turn up the power which turns the car into an entirely different animal. you basically bought the best modifiable car and haven't modded it... in my opinion you really have initialized its real potential yet.

end of the day if you aren't looking to touch the car and you intend on driving the car on occasion i think the GT4 provides much more "experience" if it's going to be a toy. engine vibration, high revving power, manual trans, specialty engine are all loads of fun when the car is a weekend toy but most of those get old quickly if your using it daily or frequently.

the supra shines in the aspect that it can be completely mundane when you want it to be, click two buttons and it's the brutally capable sports car you need it be. i daily my supra and the ability to turn on cruise control sit back and get 35+ mpg on the way to work is great but if your using it as a toy it might be its biggest fault, it's too comfortable and might lack a bit of fizz that you want to feel on weekend drives.

i think you know the answer in your head is cayman but you won't get too much reassurance in here from "supra fans/owners"

i think some front control arms, sway bars, tires and a pure800 would make you forget the word cayman ever existed but if that's not your thing than you can switch the cayman and have your fun!
Super helpful info right here. Definitely going to take this into consideration. Thank you for writing a mini essay šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I considered trading my A91-MT with delivery miles for a 981 GT4.

My thoughts:

It's kinda a half assed GT product with the motor they chose to use.

Interior is cramped and the buckets while awesome, are not something I'd wanna use often.

Shifter is great.

It's not particularly fast, hell my E46 M3 felt faster (is faster, but it's heavily modified).

If I wanted a great platform to build on and keep it forever, it's a fantastic car.

But when GT4's cost slightly less than a 997 GT3, yea no.
Agree that the motor is not the most special in the world especially compared to GT3 but have to disagree on the rest of it. I think itā€™s a brilliant package.

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
In my opinion, the GT4 will be apart of the line up for the foreseeable future with Porsche. Things may change on manual vs auto, ICE vs electric but i'm sure the GT4 will be apart of the line up. With that being the case, the Supra may not have a future. Porsche will hold its value as it has been but also the GT4 is a more track focused car over the Grand Touring Supra.

Also, i wouldn't hesitate to let go of the Supra for a 911 GT3 so yeah. Haha.
Agree. Though an electric GT4 just ainā€™t it. Maybe theyā€™ll make a hybrid but still. GT3 is good option too but the market is too high rn.

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Whatā€™s your definition of ā€œmistakeā€ in this context? That should help clear up your answer.

And if neither are tracked, the Supra would likely be more fun day to day.
Best way Iā€™ll put it is seeing an A91 at a car show in however many years and thinking ā€œdamn I wish I kept that thing.ā€ I wonder if itā€™ll be a car everybody recognizes and will be happy to see (no BMW jokes either haha). More than anything, what matters most it how the car make YOU feel but I canā€™t help but wonder if Iā€™m letting go of a future classic in a great spec.

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As others have said, you should definitely drive the GT4 in advance if possible. The gearing is really tall, though the shifter is incredible. What is the spec of this particular car @Supraman91?

At one point, a few years ago, my dad had both a 981 GT4 and a 991 GT3. Both had the buckets, which I wouldnā€™t think of forgoing if given the chance.
IMG_0312.jpeg
Dream garage right there. Buckets all the way. This spec has them.

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
As others have said, you should definitely drive the GT4 in advance if possible. The gearing is really tall, though the shifter is incredible. What is the spec of this particular car @Supraman91?

At one point, a few years ago, my dad had both a 981 GT4 and a 991 GT3. Both had the buckets, which I wouldnā€™t think of forgoing if given the chance.
IMG_0312.jpeg
Uhhh, so...is yr dad hiring? Haha. Damn. Nice garage.

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
Agree that the motor is not the most special in the world especially compared to GT3 but have to disagree on the rest of it. I think itā€™s a brilliant package.
Compared to a 718 GT4, it's not that brilliant especially for the money. Like if you're north of $120k for a 981, just pay more for a 718.

That's where I was going with that.

And it's funny, I was going to trade my A91 for a Carmine Red GT4 with buckets in Texas lol.

Drove a local one with buckets and was like ehhhh.

Priced out a Deman conversion for the engine and gearbox and I'm into the thing for just shy of 160k.

So it's really up to you and what you wanna do. If you haven't done much to your Supra but feel like the GT4 is a better product to leave alone (it is, 150% is, Supra has many flaws) then send it.

Also, the 981 is better looking than the 718, center exit exhausts ftw.

tonymimi

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 yellow 3.0 AT premium
Go drive one and then you will find out. My guess is you will love it. The only thing that supra is better is that its mods friendly, but you dont mods it. And stock porsche is already so balance and perfect. The only mods I see people do for porsche is ppf, clear turn signal and window tint.

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Compared to a 718 GT4, it's not that brilliant especially for the money. Like if you're north of $120k for a 981, just pay more for a 718.

And it's funny, I was going to trade my A91 for a Carmine Red GT4 with buckets in Texas lol.

Priced out a Deman conversion for the engine and gearbox and I'm into the thing for just shy of 160k.

So it's really up to you and what you wanna do. If you haven't done much to your Supra but feel like the GT4 is a better product to leave alone (it is, 150% is, Supra has many flaws) then send it.

lol great minds think alike. I definitely need to drive one as well. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll mind the long gearing though like some so that should impact the decision.

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Go drive one and then you will find out. My guess is you will love it. The only thing that supra is better is that its mods friendly, but you dont mods it. And stock porsche is already so balance and perfect. The only mods I see people do for porsche is ppf, clear turn signal and window tint.
I agree with that especially because Iā€™m not big into modding besides small things here and there

OP
OP
Supraman91

Supraman91

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Gotcha. Good point about the price difference though I feel the 981 is a bit more raw and ā€œspecialā€ than the 718 so Iā€™d likely prefer going down that path.

bl4ck_wng

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Cadillac CT4V Blackwing
Big porsche guy here, so I may be a tad biased. Overall, the GT4 is a big step up, and even more engaging with a manual. IIRC, the brakes and suspension on the 981 GT4 were developed from the 991 GT3. Personally, I would pull trigger and not look back. Both are great cars and you will enjoy either very much. Best of luck brotha

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
You all must have significantly more money than I do. I donā€™t recall any discussion around the HUGE difference in price for a car that performs minimally better than the Supra. Donā€™t get me wrong, money no object Iā€™d choose the P car every time but money is an object and the P cars barely perform better than the Supra and require cheater (Cup 2) tires to do so.
Also, cars are never good investments. Saw an article a while back about the actual annualized returns when considering inflation on a group of cars that have appreciated the most over like the last 20 to 30 years or something like that. Bottom line was even the best ones returned very little and some not at all considering inflation.

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
You all must have significantly more money than I do. I donā€™t recall any discussion around the HUGE difference in price for a car that performs minimally better than the Supra. Donā€™t get me wrong, money no object Iā€™d choose the P car every time but money is an object and the P cars barely perform better than the Supra and require cheater (Cup 2) tires to do so.
Also, cars are never good investments. Saw an article a while back about the actual annualized returns when considering inflation on a group of cars that have appreciated the most over like the last 20 to 30 years or something like that. Bottom line was even the best ones returned very little and some not at all considering inflation.
100%
Sponsored