Time to weld? Do I have an exhaust issue?

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
I noticed a strange gurgling from the exhaust when idle. The video posted is right after the car warms up and everything quiets down on startup. You gurgling is pretty apparent.

I blocked off the tips and pressurized the system using a shop vac, there is definitely a steady stream of air coming out of each of the 5 clamp locations, even after tightening to 70ft-lb over the minimum 61ft-lb requirement but I am not sure if that is a problem.

I am hoping an exhaust expert hears this and can say either "yeah, bad leak better go get that welded" or "minimal leak don't worry about it" or "usual with clamp exhaust system as you will never be 100% sealed" ... or possibly "that is not an exhaust leak you are hearing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufl2F6pbTN0&feature=youtu.be
Sponsored

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
is that AWE exhaust?

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Which config? (curiosity)

Slightly off topic: any revving or drive-by videos with AWE and ActiveAutowerke DP?

OP
OP
Natek

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
This is the touring resonated, i need to get some good drive by videos. Be aware though that none of the videos i have seen on any of these actually properly represent how loud it sounds in person. People try with the decibel meters but it does not really give a real sense of it.

Ozzy8690

First Name
Ozzy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
14’ Turbo Ultramarine FRS, 2020 Downshift Blue Supra 3.0 premium
My non expert opinion says the gurgling may be a slip on exhaust thing. On my FRS (although being a boxer engine with an equal length manifold) I ran the tomei exhaust system that was a slip on style and I got a constant gurgle like that while idling. Even stock rn with just a catless downpipe I get a slight gurgle while idling. I wouldn’t worry about it IMO.

OP
OP
Natek

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
I pretty much solved the issue (greatly reduced it anyway). I ended up removing the clamps and wrapping the slip areas with fiberfix heat wrap, then reapplied the clamps and let it cure. There is a small amount of air escaping from a few places when i pressurize the exhaust and spray some soapy water but nothing like it was and the gargling is pretty much gone. Maybe when the system heats up some of the minor air escape will also reduce further as the system expands

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
I pretty much solved the issue (greatly reduced it anyway). I ended up removing the clamps and wrapping the slip areas with fiberfix heat wrap, then reapplied the clamps and let it cure. There is a small amount of air escaping from a few places when i pressurize the exhaust and spray some soapy water but nothing like it was and the gargling is pretty much gone. Maybe when the system heats up some of the minor air escape will also reduce further as the system expands
:thumbsup:
Sponsored