Do I really need an air filter?

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Yes, for fuck sake use an air filter. A turbo spins are 150k RPM, a pebble will destroy it.
if you have to have that extra 10hp or so then i guess no filter, or can go for an over size filter (aka 800hp flow rated filter if you are making 650hp) and that would help negate losses to some extent
Engine Masters already proved a high-flow filter sapped no power. The ONLY semi-acceptable situation to not use a filter, is when there is truly ZERO room for one on your one-off setup..and even then, we're gonna poke fun at you for not packaging your custom plumbing better.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Yes, for fuck sake use an air filter. A turbo spins are 150k RPM, a pebble will destroy it.
Hence the OP's mention of using a double mesh screen. With a fine mesh screen erosion will be an issue but FOD should be ok. Personally I wouldn't do it myself but if you're asking for opinions then you get both sides of the story.

Phil

Scan_20210220 (102).png

Not caused by a brake disk rock :lol:

Last edited:

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Here is a real life example for you guys. This is a bit exaggerated for street related usage but this is what happens when you run your vehicle in the dirt for 20 min with the wrong air filter. Was a brand new build before this.

20231110_143434.jpg

20231110_144059.jpg

Note - the skirts of the pistons were once fully coated. I dont have the turbos here to show you anymore but they were wasted. Again, this is after only 20 minutes!

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Here is a real life example for you guys. This is a bit exaggerated for street related usage but this is what happens when you run your vehicle in the dirt for 20 min with the wrong air filter. Was a brand new build before this.

20231110_143434.jpg

20231110_144059.jpg

Note - the skirts of the pistons were once fully coated. I dont have the turbos here to show you anymore but they were wasted. Again, this is after only 20 minutes!
Off road engine with disconnected filtering? Whats the details?

Phil

OP
OP
GoldenEye

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra

20231110_143434.jpg

20231110_144059.jpg

this might be a bit exaggerated, but this could happen if you fart in your car when it’s too hot outside!
1699670276211.jpeg

OP
OP
GoldenEye

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
For real tho here’s a small update. It’s now 4 layers of wire mesh, 1st coarse steel mesh, 2 layers of fine aluminum mesh then a last layer of coarse steel mesh. I’m definitely not worried about sucking anything in, but in the case of catastrophic failure, well I guess I’ll start my journey to an 8 sec car, lol…
IMG_3354.jpeg
IMG_3355.jpeg
IMG_3356.jpeg

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Off road engine with disconnected filtering? Whats the details?

Phil
Old air filter that was not up to Off road duties. It might kinda work when new and freshly oiled but when old, all the fine particles get by. Turns your oil into liquid sandpaper. This is why we manufacture Off road specific air filters and recommend to replace yearly if used a lot.

this might be a bit exaggerated, but this could happen if you fart in your car when it’s too hot outside!
1699670276211.jpeg
Exaggerated for a street car but still a real world outcome of what happens when things like dirt go through an engine.

For real tho here’s a small update. It’s now 4 layers of wire mesh, 1st coarse steel mesh, 2 layers of fine aluminum mesh then a last layer of coarse steel mesh. I’m definitely not worried about sucking anything in, but in the case of catastrophic failure, well I guess I’ll start my journey to an 8 sec car, lol…
IMG_3354.jpeg
IMG_3355.jpeg
IMG_3356.jpeg
So you made the equivalent of a boats flame arrestor.... notice the lack of reference to being a filter.... boats don't have to deal with dirt and dust.

720-11.jpg

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.

20231110_143434.jpg

20231110_144059.jpg

Bro, was this a jet airplane or a hairdryer? If not, anything you say is absolutely BS. 😎

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Let’s be honest here, @lucky phil is like an outdated 1950’s character where he thinks something ten-twenty years ago and a jet and motorcycle or his wife’s Mercedes is still relevant.

That said, anyone that is asking that some type of filter in front of a turbine that Is spinning bro fast is mandatory, needs some empathetic guidance to ignore the morons.

OP
OP
GoldenEye

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
@razorlab I’m tall enough to ride all the rides at the county fair, you mad?

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
@Evolution its not a filter my good friend…
Then why run it on a car!? Cars come from the factory with an air filter for a good reason!

Bro, was this a jet airplane or a hairdryer? If not, anything you say is absolutely BS. 😎
Bro, this was a 1000 fbhp build. That stands for fan blade horsepower btw. It's legit!
Sponsored