"Tires not recognized"

Is your tire setting set to Manual or Automatic? (stock tires)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP

oneJOEY

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA 3.0
Are you sure they actually opened a case? I suspect they are BS'ing you. My automatic recognition works fine. I guess it's up to you how far you want to pursue this. You can :

1. go to a new dealer with the complaint and see if they can fix it
2. forget about it. You said it seemed to recognize low psi in your tires
3. get a fellow Supra owner to swap tires with you that doesn't have the problem and see if the problem goes away

Good luck
So I just went out to confirm I wasnā€™t misremembering things. My automatic works fine so according to your dealer and toyota engineer mine isnā€™t working as designed.:crazy:
To emphasize I confirmed : I was in automatic, select the start tire recognition button. The system then tells me to drive off to finish the process. As I start driving a % complete number comes up on the center stack and updates as I drive. I drove maybe 1/4 mile before it completed.
I donā€™t think you answered before, do your tires have a QR code on the sidewall?
Hi Legacy etu,
I dunno, I'd tend to believe there was a case opened as they did reference the case ID number and it did seem that they were genuinely looking for the fix for the past two times i brought it in. My guess would be they got a supra 'engineer' that may have knowledge on mechanical aspects but not too keen on the software and monitoring systems.

Whenever i try to get it to go into the automatic recognition, I drive off and (after maybe 10-15 minutes), it fails with the error, 'Tires not recognized'. I haven't seen the QR code (where would I look?), but I assumed it is there since they are the stock tires/wheels from the factory.

Thanks for checking into your system and the information. Ya, when I explained to the dealer that there were Supra owners I was aware of that had their system in Automatic mode, they couldn't provide any good response. Only that they were told by their heirarchy that it was supposed to be in Manual mode, go figure.
Sponsored

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Read the link in post #9 , but it should be in your tires sidewall. Agree with you that it should be there since your car is new.
One thing I donā€™t get is ....is the car scanning and reading this QR code when the wheel rotates....if so that could be what the percentage complete on the dash is updating you on. It takes the car a while for it to read the QR code.......but thatā€™s a total guess here. Im Having a hard time understanding here is how the car is recognizing the tire. Is the car scanning the QR code or is there an RFID tag molded in the tire or ??????

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
Read the link in post #9 , but it should be in your tires sidewall. Agree with you that it should be there since your car is new.
One thing I donā€™t get is ....is the car scanning and reading this QR code when the wheel rotates....if so that could be what the percentage complete on the dash is updating you on. It takes the car a while for it to read the QR code.......but thatā€™s a total guess here. Im Having a hard time understanding here is how the car is recognizing the tire. Is the car scanning the QR code or is there an RFID tag molded in the tire or ??????
Not sure how it works, but my research indicated that this auto recognition feature is related to the QR code on the side of the tire (both sides, so its not just inner). Iā€™ll have to check the pilot sports since they are off for the cold weather and see what is on there. Just another example of Yota not knowing that we have a BMW (sorry ... #EmbraceTheM)

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry all for not following up with this post. So I did take the car back to the dealer for a total of 3 separate times just to address this issue of "Tires not Recognized". In the end, the service technician advised and documented on my service record the following,

"... Called [Toyota Corporate TAS Case# XXXXXXXXX]. Spoke with Supra Engineers and was informed Auto Mode is not intended for Driver Use. Manual Mode is default. Error is stated to be normal characteristic of Auto Mode when not being used for shop calibration..."

Essentially, they explained that I should leave it in Manual mode and that I, as the driver (user) should not be using the Automatic mode as that mode is reserved for service techs or calibration such as by a tire shop. (???) I don't necessarily believe that, but at the same time I don't have anything to backup my opinion and challenge their assertion. After all, they're Toyota and should know. Does this sound right to you all?

I explained that I had posted online regarding this issue and that other Supra owners reported that their settings allowed for automatic recognition. But the service technician could only go by the superiors (Supra Engineers) explanation. Please let me know if there is any documented evidence out there that would refute their explanation and show that the automatic mode should work for the user and not just for service use by technicians. Otherwise, I guess I will have to accept the Toyota service explanation. It doesn't necessarily have any negative effect for me in driving the car. For me, I just want to be assured that the systems are working as intended. Thanks everyone!!
ā€œI call BSā€ just plain ignorance.

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the QR Code from the sidewall on the OE Pilot Sports. We need to see if the peeps running Michelin Alpines for the winter weā€™re able to engage ā€œautoā€ recognition. No QR code on my Goodyear Eagle AS.

F603C67F-A3CC-47F0-B22F-4499F4CE0A4D.jpeg

climhazzard

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
The QR code is scanned with a tool and then programmed to the car. Not sure if Toyota dealers have the tool, but I imagine BMW dealers would. Also not sure if thereā€™s an aftermarket solution yet.

Check this out for details:

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The QR code is scanned with a tool and then programmed to the car. Not sure if Toyota dealers have the tool, but I imagine BMW dealers would. Also not sure if thereā€™s an aftermarket solution yet.

Check this out for details:
I programmed in the data manually from the iDrive for the winter tires. It will be interesting to see if the TPM sensors on the Pilot Sports hold their data for 5-6 months.

OP
OP

oneJOEY

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA 3.0
Here is the QR Code from the sidewall on the OE Pilot Sports. We need to see if the peeps running Michelin Alpines for the winter weā€™re able to engage ā€œautoā€ recognition. No QR code on my Goodyear Eagle AS.

F603C67F-A3CC-47F0-B22F-4499F4CE0A4D.jpeg

Thanks much for posting the QR code. It helped lots to know what I was looking for..... after checking it.... YES, I confirm that I do have the QR codes present on my tires. So not sure what is going on, maybe I'll have to wait until there is an aftermarket RDC tool or meet someone that has one.

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Watch the video a few posts up from @climhazzard ... there is some type of reader that sends the tire info to the TPMā€™s and thatā€™s how the car ā€œlearnsā€ the tire. BMW dealer likely has one.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Watch the video a few posts up from @climhazzard ... there is some type of reader that sends the tire info to the TPMā€™s and thatā€™s how the car ā€œlearnsā€ the tire. BMW dealer likely has one.
Hmm, I wonder if this is something that's done during the PDI and it wasn't done properly??

MaxFn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium, 2017 RAV4 Hybrid Limited, 2012 RAV4 V6 Sport
I believe this system is only for reading the RF signal from the TMP sensors installed in the rim. It is not reading a QR code on the tire. The logistics of reading a spinning QR code reliability as the tires wear would be daunting. In any case the system only cares about what the tire pressure is.

I had A Lexus ISF and used it year round in Cincinnati. I had 2 sets of tires with separate rims and TMP sensors. 18" for winter and Staggered 19" set for summer. Both were registered to the car I had to tell the car (Via a similar input) which set was installed on the car. The Lexus did not have a function where I could install the winter wheels and let the car figure out which set was installed. It would generate an error because it could not read the Tire pressure until knowing which set to look for.

My Lexus required the dealer to register the TPM sensor to the car as it was designed to not register automatically. They charged me $100 to perform this "service" many other brands use an automatic TPM registration system but perhaps BMW does not. Once registered I could switch from winter to summer rims in the car setup.

I think this is what the automatic function does. It figures out which set of sensors (wheels) are installed. Without 2 sets of Rims/TPMS registered to the car it is defaulting to manual.

climhazzard

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I believe this system is only for reading the RF signal from the TMP sensors installed in the rim. It is not reading a QR code on the tire. The logistics of reading a spinning QR code reliability as the tires wear would be daunting. In any case the system only cares about what the tire pressure is.

I had A Lexus ISF and used it year round in Cincinnati. I had 2 sets of tires with separate rims and TMP sensors. 18" for winter and Staggered 19" set for summer. Both were registered to the car I had to tell the car (Via a similar input) which set was installed on the car. The Lexus did not have a function where I could install the winter wheels and let the car figure out which set was installed. It would generate an error because it could not read the Tire pressure until knowing which set to look for.

My Lexus required the dealer to register the TPM sensor to the car as it was designed to not register automatically. They charged me $100 to perform this "service" many other brands use an automatic TPM registration system but perhaps BMW does not. Once registered I could switch from winter to summer rims in the car setup.

I think this is what the automatic function does. It figures out which set of sensors (wheels) are installed. Without 2 sets of Rims/TPMS registered to the car it is defaulting to manual.
The video I shared explain how it works. The QR code contains manufacturing data about the tire which is then uploaded (once) to the car. This is not directly related to the TPMS sensor but rather is used for the automatic function and specification of the recommended pressure.

The manual setting is utilized when the QR code data (or manual entry of such data via a BMW tool that I canā€™t seem to find much additional info on yet) is not available.

Edit: Seems the video on YouTube is no longer available. Iā€™ll try to find another but hopefully the above is an adequate summary.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
Iā€™m in this trap now. Itā€™s is beating me so far. Auto recognize fails. No options in manual

Might have to break out the owners manual
I had this issue after getting both rear tires patched. Took a few tries but I was able to get it to re-recognize the tires in manual mode. Iirc all I did was set the tire type in the menu at a red light and drove for a bit and the system eventually accepted the tires.

lemetier

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes
This isnā€™t a TPMS sensor issue, but an eTIS (intelligent RFID Tire) issue. Via the Texa RFID tool, the QR code on each tire is scanned to register the position and pair the RFID sensors to the car. They then communicate with the onboard systems
AE6A30DD-411D-4AF4-82F1-E9EB852042F0.jpeg
Sponsored