Toyota Files Patent Application For A Clutch Operated Manual Trans For EVs

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
https://www.motor1.com/news/567023/toyota-ev-manual-transmission/

The interesting part is that this does not seem to involve mechanically bolting up a traditional manual transmission to an electric motor but rather electronically simulating the experience while still offering exactly the same physical controls that a traditional manual car has.

Maybe it will turn out well or maybe it will just be a curious experiment but I like it that they're at least trying out ideas in the name of fun and engagement for the 100% EV era.

The future of Toyota EVs is going to be very exciting. Besides the developments in performance, range, and efficiency Toyota’s EV future may include something from the past. Based on a recent patent filing by Toyota, a clutch-operated manual transmission may be on the future option list for your next Toyota. So how exactly does a manual transmission work in an EV? Let’s find out.

In today’s EV market transmissions are basically non-existent. In Tesla products, there is no shifting and only a 1-speed transmission. Then Porsche and Audi use 2-speed transmissions for better response at higher speeds for better performance on the German Autobahn. But outside of these two EV heavyweights transmissions don’t really have a place in modern EVs.

Toyota plans to change all of this. In their patent filing, Toyota basically created a traditional clutch-activated manual transmission with a familiar shift lever as you’d find on a GR86. In Toyota’s patent filing they explain, “The controller of the electric vehicle is configured to control the torque of the electric motor using the MT vehicle model based on the operation amount of the accelerator pedal, the operation amount of the pseudo-clutch pedal, and the shift position of the pseudo-shifter.”

The word pseudo is an interesting inclusion since it implies that this entire transmission is all for fun and not required for the operation of the vehicle. To improve the feel of this innovative system Toyota will add, “The electric vehicle also includes a shift reaction force generator that generates a shift reaction force in response to the operation of the pseudo-shifter using by the operating of the reaction force actuator.”

This means Toyota EVs could have a simulated manual transmission that includes movement that you’d find in a connect manual in a sports car. The commitment to retaining fun in the EV future makes us excited to see what Toyota has in store for us.
Source: US Patent and Trademark Office
Sponsored

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Every 'purist' automotive writer must be in heaven LOL! A manual EV lol. Thank god Toyota is doing this so they can now rest easy that their dream is alive. They wont have to beeotch that the car they are testing is good but would be 'great' with a manual........................in every fkn article they write.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
I can only picture this being taken poorly. The only people that get manual are ev hating purists.

OP
OP
KahnBB6

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I can only picture this being taken poorly. The only people that get manual are ev hating purists.
Hmm. I’m a “purist” I guess since I daily a manual car, am looking forward to the new/current crop of manual fun cars and I also don’t hate EVs in general.

But I do prefer any EV I’d seriously consider to be a driver-focused and fun-focused machine rather than an egg-shaped blob with one or more giant iPads dominating the dashboard that has only a 0-60 party trick. So that does exclude *some* EVs for me but not all EVs.

I’d have to see Toyota’s implementation of this before fully accepting it or fully writing it off. For now what’s wrong with them experimenting?

Elektro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 i3 94ah, 22 Supra 2.0
I’m not sure who will be more excited
 magazine/youtube writers
 or people in the 90s who made their DIY EVs using brushed forklift motors and lead acid batteries?

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
They should put a manual crank on the outside of the car too - you know, more pure driving experience.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
I love driving a manual and am very much for EVs as a critical part of addressing climate. Now, the value of the contortions manufacturers are going through to make EVs more like gassers are of unclear benefit to me, but cultures sometimes shift quickly and maybe this will help the move to EVs. Or maybe in the future we’ll look back and laugh at it from our beachside homes in Colorado.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I've seen this all over the internet today. People really make way more of a deal than they should out of patents. If you've worked with patents you know this. Large corporations patent things all the time that have no intention of ever going to market with, it just reserves them the IP as an asset.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s also done just to prevent another company from patenting it themselves.
Sponsored