Toyota FT-1 concept & A90 Supra design dissected

Do you care if the next Supra has a "corporate image?"

• No, as long as it looks good, I don't care if the rest of Toyota's line up is designed around it.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Yes, the Supra should be completely unique looking even among Toyota's fleet.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Don't care as long as the Supra is the "first" to get the design.

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
This quote from a review of the AMG GT C over on Jalopnik got me wondering if there will be a similar (if less pronounced) issue with the Supra:
And the GT C is hard to see out of, even with the top down. The belt line is so high, the nose sticks out so far and you’re sitting so low down that driving it around town is a game of approximating where it ends at all times.​

Obviously the Supra's hood is not going to be as long as the AMG's but the car has been reported to be 172" in length so it's going to have some additional inches on the hood relative to a GT86.

Of more concern to me is the height of the cowl and belt line - in a few of the spy photos the driver's head is barely peeking over the top of the steering wheel. Other shots have not looked so extreme though. I hope it's no worse than the GT86 in this regard - even that car feels a bit cocoonish to me. If you can see the front of the fenders from behind the wheel like you can in the GT86, that will be a great help in positioning the car.
Sponsored

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
The F1 nose was never going to last, I don't think it's even possible with how pedestrian safety laws are these days. I think it morphed into something pretty handsome, if a little conservative. I wish the hood was more sculpted, but I realize that having an inline 6 means that the height of the engine will bulge the hood, so that's fine. The clamshell design is cool too, no scratching fenders when wrenching! :p

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
the production car also looks slightly different, even to the GRMN race car... that car is "old" according to people in the know.

not all that surprising though as they are still working on it.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
the production car also looks slightly different, even to the GRMN race car... that car is "old" according to people in the know.

not all that surprising though as they are still working on it.
Really? To me it looks just like the spied prototype minus the widebody kit and 10 ft wing.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
the mules and GRMN race car are built off the same exact design; the production car is not. it is different and apparently enough to be noticeable, but that's all I have.
When you say design do you mean like different body panels? I would think at this late in the game everything would already be finalized. :what:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
honestly, there is still plenty of stuff not finalized; the car is still in testing and they are still changing things.

to answer your question though, yes, mostly body panel/aero and other easily adaptable things as far as I'm aware.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
honestly, there is still plenty of stuff not finalized; the car is still in testing and they are still changing things.

to answer your question though, yes, mostly body panel/aero and other easily adaptable things as far as I'm aware.
That's odd because the development stories I read said a design is usually frozen or locked in 2 to 3 years prior to production.

Well hopefully one thing they change would be to blend in that fake air vent panel into the door for a cleaner look and a slightly wider front fender would be nice. :D

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's odd because the development stories I read said a design is usually frozen or locked in 2 to 3 years prior to production.

Well hopefully one thing they change would be to blend in that fake air vent panel into the door for a cleaner look and a slightly wider front fender would be nice. :D
normally true, especially for other stuff I've worked on, but not this thing. I guess...

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
In tinkering with the facsia design maybe they will take into account a view expressed in auto blog comments about the front end of the car - I have seen several comparisons being made (complete with photos in a couple of instances) between the Supra nose and a hand-held dust buster....
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.