Toyota FT-1 concept & A90 Supra design dissected

Do you care if the next Supra has a "corporate image?"

• No, as long as it looks good, I don't care if the rest of Toyota's line up is designed around it.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Yes, the Supra should be completely unique looking even among Toyota's fleet.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Don't care as long as the Supra is the "first" to get the design.

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

910ps

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
The GT-R is definitely not a looker. It could be mistaken for something a decade older imo.
Agree about having to nail the platform and other internals. Design can be fixed easily with sheetmetal changes. Weight, engine, suspension etc can not be.
Sponsored

<TC OFF>

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
Agree about having to nail the platform and other internals. Design can be fixed easily with sheetmetal changes. Weight, engine, suspension etc can not be.
Of course performance and mechanicals are the most important thing, but styling sells cars to buyers on emotion. Something needed when spending this much money on a car.

<TC OFF>

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
Just look at the GT-R. As much as I love the GT-R, it's not exactly a looker. Really none of the GT-R's have the traditional good sportscar looks IMO, but they're well regarded.

I'd prefer they take the risk, give us something that a lot of people might consider ugly, so that it will stand apart for years to come.
Couldnt agree more!! Please give us a fresh bold clean sheet design that doesn't have forced corporate styling cues.

I want a design where if you took the badge off the car you couldn't guess what brand it is. Which is what the FT-1 concept does.

PanMD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Couldnt agree more!! Please give us a fresh bold clean sheet design that doesn't have forced corporate styling cues.

I want a design where if you took the badge off the car you couldn't guess what brand it is. Which is what the FT-1 concept does.
You mean you don't like the Mirai?! :puke:

That thing is like a cartoon characature of Toyota design elements gone wild. Cmon guys we can do better than this...

2016_Toyota_Fuel_Cell_Vehicle_031-e1416282630824-630x327.jpg

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
To be honest, at first I didn't like that nose that much. However, over time it grow on me. Now I think it looks great; especially on the second graphite concept. I think overall the concept looks pretty good. The only thing I would change would be the two lower fans, and maybe some production ready headlights.

S O B

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Please please keep the live rear spoiler wing... one of the coolest design aspects of the entire car.

JonMon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cars
I think overall the concept looks pretty good. The only thing I would change would be the two lower fans, and maybe some production ready headlights.
What are those fans anyway - just for looks? Never seen fans like that on a car.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
They're supposed to be twin radiator fans. When Jay Leno did an episode on the FT-1 the designer mentioned they envisioned twin radiator fans. I guess just for the concept design.

But I hope they keep the retractable spoiler and all of the design. I know it will be toned down but I think only a few things will change.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
Sorry but too much sharing is a prob. I can recognize Fords or Chevys but they don't all look EXACTLY alike... like Lexus for example. They are just way too similar for my tastes.
Fords have that Aston Martin face now.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
How do you feel about FT-1's nose? There are those that love the F-1 car and Enzo look. Some have been on the fence, but have said it is different and unique. While others have said it needs to be toned down or just removed it completely. So take a look at two renders below, one with the nose completely removed and a second with the nose incorporated into the design with a new front bumper. And remember to vote in the poll.

yellow-toyota-ft-1-concept-car-wallpaper-hd-jpg.jpg

toyota-ft-1-front-three-quarters3-1-jpg.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: pbj

pbj

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Kia
KEEP THE NOSE! Look how much more unique the concept looking one is compared to the yellow one.

NeroZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S Release Series 1
The nose makes it look meaner but I doubt it makes it to production. I do like that F-1 look tho.

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
I don't expect this exact nose style to make it either. But it better not be as boring as that yellow Supra. Theres got to be something in between that looks good while also satisfying safety requirements.

The nose makes it look meaner but I doubt it makes it to production. I do like that F-1 look tho.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Maybe a production nose could be tone down a bit, and a little closer to the FT-HS concept?

toyota-ft-hs-concept-front-side-view.jpg
toyota-ft-1-concept-in-graphite-front-side-view.jpg
Toyota-FT_HS_mp6_pic_40664.jpg
toyota-ft-1-graphite-side.jpg

sunFire

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3 cabrio
I don't mind if the Supra ends up being the most beautiful Toyota design and they end up giving other models a similar face. The rest of the car's shape will still look nothing like any other Toyota. I'm sure the designers of the production version have probably been told to make sure to give it some Toyota-ness so it will help sell some other models. It's goin to be the Toyota halo after all
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.