Toyota FT-1 concept & A90 Supra design dissected

Do you care if the next Supra has a "corporate image?"

• No, as long as it looks good, I don't care if the rest of Toyota's line up is designed around it.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Yes, the Supra should be completely unique looking even among Toyota's fleet.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Don't care as long as the Supra is the "first" to get the design.

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

detuning

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS-F
It just shows it only takes a few changes to turn a beautiful design into a downright cheap looking one. :thumbsdown:

Let's hope Toyota does a better job tweaking their own concept!

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
Can't belive I'd ever say these words but the new Camry is looking pretty good.

Very aggressive for a hybrid.

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
^ yup, I had the 2015 loaner car from the dealer. Still rides like a tuna clipper!

Alcatraz Pig

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E36 M3
If the Supra lost that protuding F1 nose and took on the black mouth/grill on Corolla, Camry, and Avalon then it would lose half of what made it unique. I really doubt that will happen

sunFire

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3 cabrio
Wtf? I can't tell the ass from the head. Poor honda lost its way. Good thing the Civic is getting a kick start
Honda seems to be making its way back to some respectability with the new NSX, S660 roadster, and the next gen Civic concept. Cmon Toyota, your move, bring us some sportier cars.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Honda seems to be making its way back to some respectability with the new NSX, S660 roadster, and the next gen Civic concept. Cmon Toyota, your move, bring us some sportier cars.
None of that stuff is real yet, even the NSX. S660 is a kei car which will not come here. Even the new Civic R is years away from coming here, if it does. NSX is due out anytime now, but we still don't have basic info like an MSRP.

Wally World

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
--
Still don't think the MKV should get any corporate design cues. They've been showing the concept at car shows for well over a year now and everyone's gotten used to the look. If they stray far from that look the air's gonna come rushing out of the FT-1 marketing machine.

__WRC__

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
325i
Still don't think the MKV should get any corporate design cues. They've been showing the concept at car shows for well over a year now and everyone's gotten used to the look. If they stray far from that look the air's gonna come rushing out of the FT-1 marketing machine.
In some ways it already does?

They took a nice looking corporate face and made it super aggressive, but you can still see some of that in other Toyotas. Compare the Camry:

2015-toyota-camry-xse-head-on-action1-600-001.jpg

toyota_ft1_concept_naias_detroit_auto_show_jan_2014-100225513-large.jpg

Based on this I think they merge the lower grille and lose the fans. It should look a lot more like other Toyotas as a result.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
The next gen Camry has been spied. It appears to have a very small bump in the front. What do y'all think? Personal I hate when automakers do this. It limits the design and makes everything look the same. It would have been nice if the new Supra was the only model to get the "nose" look.

2018-Toyota-Camry-Spy-09-1200x695.jpg

2018-Toyota-Camry-XSE-V-6-front-three-quarter.jpg

img1134789645-1458744808567.jpg

toyota-supra-12-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I agree...though I think the Supra will have the most dramatic nose of all close to the FT-1 (maybe).

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
I agree...though I think the Supra will have the most dramatic nose of all close to the FT-1 (maybe).
I'm hoping I'm wrong, but it looks closer to the FT-HS' nose. Which IMO doesn't look as good as the FT-1.

440px-Toyota_FT-HS_at_NYIAS.jpg

MACKSTER

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Beater Honda
I'm hoping I'm wrong, but it looks closer to the FT-HS' nose. Which IMO doesn't look as good as the FT-1.

440px-Toyota_FT-HS_at_NYIAS.jpg
Agreed, but it's better than the new 86 front bumper.

I REALLY hope they keep the center stalk section of the FT-1 front bumper somehow. That to me is what makes the front end of the FT-1 look so good...that Formula 1 car inspired look.

Status
Not open for further replies.