Toyota FT-1 Supra vs Lexus LC

Do you think the new Supra will underpin the Lexus LC?

• Yes, make it a true Toyota!

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • No, it will be a jointly project with BMW.

Votes: 17 68.0%

• Total voters

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
That'd be badass but the Supra is going to be the flagship I'm pretty sure it has been said. If a 3 sports car line up it makes more sense to go after the likes of the M4 than go to GTR territory in price. That would leave a huge hole in their line up above the 86.
I was thinking of a mid-engine super car for Lexus. Something to fill the shoes left behind by the LFA.

Agreed, a new Supra should come in at the $50k-$60k price range IMO.

On a different note, the author's opinion of a new Supra underpinning the new LC isn't too crazy. Toyota did state that the new platform will be used for future Lexus models.

The LC 500h is the first Lexus to benefit from the company’s all-new, premium rear-wheel drive platform; part of a new corporate global architecture for luxury vehicles (GA-L). The underpinnings of this new coupe will become the blueprint for future front-engine/rear-wheel drive Lexus models.
http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/world premiere lexus lc 500h geneva motor show.htm
Sponsored

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ if this is what ends up coming out of the partnership I think both brands would definitely benefit from it. BMW needs a super car and a Lexus LFA successor would only elevate the brand even more.

Agreed on $50-$60K being the price range of this car, though I would prefer a base model Supra coming in around $45k. Also maybe the engine made for the Supra could be shared for the next gen of the RC F / GS F and possibly IS F model. So Toyota would benefit from sharing that engine across other models and maybe not the LC F if a V8 twin turbo is going to be used for that.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
^ if this is what ends up coming out of the partnership I think both brands would definitely benefit from it. BMW needs a super car and a Lexus LFA successor would only elevate the brand even more.

Agreed on $50-$60K being the price range of this car, though I would prefer a base model Supra coming in around $45k. Also maybe the engine made for the Supra could be shared for the next gen of the RC F / GS F and possibly IS F model. So Toyota would benefit from sharing that engine across other models and maybe not the LC F if a V8 twin turbo is going to be used for that.
I really think so.

1. Because on page one of this thread, Sato-san said "Supra" during the test drive of the LC.
2. Toyota keeps denying a LFA successor.
3. Administrator latest article said the timeline has still not been finalized. But we already seen the Z testing.
4. Lexus has stated the LC's platform will be used for future Lexus models. I assume (LS, GS, RC, IS, and new Supra?).
5. Toyota and BMW press release never mentions "Supra". Only that the car will be a midsize. The media just assume it will be the "next Supra".

Could be possible. Old rumors have been said the next IS-F could be a hybrid.

FXuser

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3
I was thinking of a mid-engine super car for Lexus. Something to fill the shoes left behind by the LFA.

Agreed, a new Supra should come in at the $50k-$60k price range IMO.

On a different note, the author's opinion of a new Supra underpinning the new LC isn't too crazy. Toyota did state that the new platform will be used for future Lexus models.

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/world premiere lexus lc 500h geneva motor show.htm
Ah or would just love to see another mid-engine sports car in something more attainable.

55K would be the sweet spot IMO unless it is going to really outclass the M3/M4 and other competition in performance and tech.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Ah or would just love to see another mid-engine sports car in something more attainable.

55K would be the sweet spot IMO unless it is going to really outclass the M3/M4 and other competition in performance and tech.
$55k would be sweet, but in reality I think a six figures range is more likely.

R8- $162,900
NSX- $156,000
911- $89,400

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Came across this article from late last year. What if the rumors and news of this venture are true except the outcoming car is not a Z4 successor or Supra successor but an actual Super car to go up against the NSX, R8, 570s. And this being a Lexus / BMW vehicle instead coming out closer to 2020. After all it is a project for a 'next generation sports car'.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/09/23/now-bmw-and-lexus-working-on-a-supercar-project/#comments

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
^I recall reading something similar too that a while back.

IMO a mid engine super car would be ideal. Lexus has never had anything like this before, and a potential M1 successor for BMW.

used-1980-bmw-m1-e26-9423-9072536-1-640.jpg

used-1980-bmw-m1-e26-9423-9072536-5-640.jpg

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ it would be a hit for BMW and Lexus. A daily super car for both Brands.

And Toyota bringing back the Supra or a successor with full Toyota DNA. The NY auto show is in a few weeks. I really hope we see something.

Last edited:

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Even if this is true, I don't see why BMW needs Toyota. Like I said earlier in the thread, BMW could just take the an i8, reskin it, drop in one of their V8s or V10s, slap on the M1 nameplate, and call it a day.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Even if this is true, I don't see why BMW needs Toyota. Like I said earlier in the thread, BMW could just take the an i8, reskin it, drop in one of their V8s or V10s, slap on the M1 nameplate, and call it a day.
Only thing I can think of: both companies truely want to make something special. A revolution sports car for the next generation. Kind of like the what the NSX did back in the 90's to this class. Who's BMW top competitor? Lexus. So why not team up with them and make a sports car sharing the best technology each team brings to the table. You save cost, both will makes sales. And if it's great both get credit. Plus you can make it more affordable and attainable to the consumers. Same car underskin with a choice of BMW or Lexus body.

Plus Lexus has the LFA in it's resume from not too long ago.

Last edited:

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
I'm not interested in supercars, even if I could afford all of them. They do nothing for me. What is needed IMO, for me at least, is a 1.000-1.200 kg 300-400 PS 2 seat lightweight sports car. This car does not exist. McLaren 570s is heavy, Lotus Evora is heavy, Porsche Cayman is on the heavier side, MX-5 and GT86 are not there in terms of power, Lotus Elise/Exige is outdated.

ScottyR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 WRX STI
I'm not interested in supercars, even if I could afford all of them. They do nothing for me. What is needed IMO, for me at least, is a 1.000-1.200 kg 300-400 PS 2 seat lightweight sports car. This car does not exist. McLaren 570s is heavy, Lotus Evora is heavy, Porsche Cayman is on the heavier side, MX-5 and GT86 are not there in terms of power, Lotus Elise/Exige is outdated.
it's too bad that the Lotus Elise isn't coming back to the US until 2020. Was one of the rides I was looking at.

Respek

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 Mustang
We're here talking about a potential sports car and they can't get their basic sports car line up sorted out it seems. Endless waiting on news regarding Supra, S-FR doesn't look like it's coming to the US and the FR-S is growing stale.

Btw the Elise is coming back in 2020? Where have I been??

<TC OFF>

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
We're here talking about a potential sports car and they can't get their basic sports car line up sorted out it seems. Endless waiting on news regarding Supra, S-FR doesn't look like it's coming to the US and the FR-S is growing stale.

Btw the Elise is coming back in 2020? Where have I been??
What a shame it'd be if after killing off Scion, the company still can't get some good sports cars going under the Toyota badge. :bonk:
Sponsored