FT-1 MKV Supra Benchmarks?

FXuser

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3
Keeping in mind that the original GT-R pricetag started in the $60s (which subsequent price increases were largely due to increase in the price of the yen (which has since dropped off considerably)), and given that the FT1 should be slightly simpler design with no complex 4WD layout, it seems reasonable to expect a MkV Supra that competes with GT-R for a pricetag under $70k.
Didn't even know the GT-R started out in the $60s.

Hope economies holds up in next couple of years so we don't get a inflated price cuz of a strong yen.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FRS-Man

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
Based on the interviews of the designers and the quotes from Akio Toyoda, the MkV Supra will be a premium flagship sportscar to Toyota just as the GT-R is to Nissan. However, given the different design ethos and FR layout of the car, it's going to focus less on the electronic wizardry and more on the traditional sportscar feel, so it might fall a few seconds short on nurburgring time and not offer 2.8 second 0-60 times.

I don't think they've per-se benchmarked any specific car (like many do the 911 Turbo or Ferrari's V8 sportscars), but instead have sought out to simply deliver us an amazing car. However, when the designers talk about the car it seems like the 911 gets mentioned quite a lot.

Given the design and suspected price point of the car, and given that Toyota is not a luxury brand, the logical nearest competitors will likely be Corvette and GT-R, and perhaps the top-end Mustang offering and sub-100k luxury alternatives.

Keeping in mind that the original GT-R pricetag started in the $60s (which subsequent price increases were largely due to increase in the price of the yen (which has since dropped off considerably)), and given that the FT1 should be slightly simpler design with no complex 4WD layout, it seems reasonable to expect a MkV Supra that competes with GT-R for a pricetag under $70k.
Yea few cars could compete with the GT-R in electronic wizardry. It's a purpose built race car really, which is not what the MKV Supra will be (at least I'd prefer it not). Traditional sports cars are meant to be comfortable and good for both daily driving and occasional track work. That's one of the common complaints about the GT-R that I've read about. Such as :

"The GT-R isn't just about straight-line acceleration, however, it's easily one of the best handling cars I've ever driven, but it requires your full attention whenever driving it. On the highway, the extremely direct and sensitive steering demands both hands on the wheel. It is so sensitive to pavement undulations and ruts that one good-sized patch of rough pavement or a frost heave could easily send you into the next lane, if you're cruising along with just one hand on the wheel. The brakes, steering, ride stiffness, all of it is meant to deliver amazing times around a road course, yet provide sufficient comfort to get you home at the end of the day. And the comfort is sufficient — but only just. Even switching the adjustable suspension into Comfort mode only makes the ride tolerable, certainly not comfortable."

Definitely less traditional sports car feel and more race car.

sunFire

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3 cabrio
Tada san specifically mentioned the GT-R and how the Supra would be a different animal. I think he said it would be a more involving driving experience. :yes:

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
Tada san specifically mentioned the GT-R and how the Supra would be a different animal. I think he said it would be a more involving driving experience. :yes:
He promised the same with the FR-S/BRZ and totally delivered so I have no doubt they'll deliver on the Supra driving experience too.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The Toyota GT86/FRS/BRZ bench mark was the Porsche Cayman. So I will assume the Benchmark for the FT-1 maybe the Porsche 911 possibly.

Triple Double

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Space Gray e46 M3
The Toyota GT86/FRS/BRZ bench mark was the Porsche Cayman. So I will assume the Benchmark for the FT-1 maybe the Porsche 911 possibly.
Hopefully in performance and not in price :bow:

It's really amazing that the 911 is still everyone's benchmark when developing their newest sports cars and yet nobody seems to be able to beat it.

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
The 911 success is due to the continued "incremental improvement" of an existing time tested and proven design over several decades. In the same fashion as with the American made version of it... Corvette. And not "reinventing" the wheel with every model.

How many times has Porsche tried to reinvent the wheel and completely got it wrong with models other than 911, until finally they developed Cayman. IMHO Cayman is the only other "good" sports car Porsche has been able to come up with.

As far as GTR, it sits too tall and it's too heavy. For my taste, it really doesn't cut it. To me, it's just a powerful sedan. I wouldn't put it in the same class of cars I would love to own and track. Jus far too tall and heavy...

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Hopefully in performance and not in price :bow:

It's really amazing that the 911 is still everyone's benchmark when developing their newest sports cars and yet nobody seems to be able to beat it.
Meh.... they all do beat it on the numbers, price, performance, comfort, etc. But the 911 still has a great appeal.

But yeah I expect from MkV Supra a lot more performance and a lot less price compared to 911.

EMTer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW E36
Meh.... they all do beat it on the numbers, price, performance, comfort, etc. But the 911 still has a great appeal.
That's what happens when you have a nameplate that's been in production for decades without a break, which tops the sports car comparison list generation after generation, and where you don't mess with the successful formula (styling, configuration, sales demographic) too much over time.

It's unfortunate the Supra has been out of production for so many years but still amazing that the name carries so much cache after so much time. Just shows how good the MKIV was!

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
That's what happens when you have a nameplate that's been in production for decades without a break, which tops the sports car comparison list generation after generation, and where you don't mess with the successful formula (styling, configuration, sales demographic) too much over time.
!
Actually they have vastly expanded on their demographic. They were having financial difficulties in the 80's, when they realized they could increase their US market if they increase the footwell area to cater to big footed Americans who previously could not fit both feet in there to modulate gas/brake/clutch all in a tiny few inches.

Then in the early 90's when they were offering rebates, they realized if they make the clutch so shifting doesn't require calf muscles, they could open the doors to women!

Finally they realized if they increase the creature comforts and reliability, they could sell to big fat cat execs!

Now it's a very strong financial institution everyone loves to model after!

Last edited:

Hans

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 IS-F
Actually they have vastly expanded on their demographic. They were having financial difficulties in the 80's, when they realized they could increase their US market if they increase the footwell area to cater to big footed Americans who previously could not fit both feet in there to modulate gas/brake/clutch all in a tiny few inches.

Then in the early 90's when they were offering rebates, they realized if they make the clutch so shifting doesn't require calf muscles, they could open the doors to women!

Finally they realized if they increase the creature comforts and reliability, they could sell to big fat cat execs!

Now it's a very strong financial institution everyone loves to model after!
They've done a good of expanding their buyer demographics while also maintaining 911 as the standard which everyone compares to. There's other cars where the manufacturer tried to do that and completely screw up the original formula. Some of the newest BMWs come to mind... the Z4 for example was a simple fun successful car as a Z3, then slightly less so but still somewhat fun and sporty as the first generation Z4 (even had an M model), but the second and current gen Z4 is completely neutered. They didn't even bother to make a M model.

S O B

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Can't wait for the day when that's clearly a MKV Supra prototype in front, maybe being tested against the NSX :)

production-2015-acura-nsx-spied-during-nurburgring-testing-photo-gallery_8-jpg.jpg

Or when the trailing car is the MKV Supra prototype :)

2012-toyota-ft-86-13-jpg.jpg

Wouldn't mind having the MKV benchmarked against those two cars.... but how long we going to have to wait until the first real spy photo :(

NeroZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S Release Series 1
They've done a good of expanding their buyer demographics while also maintaining 911 as the standard which everyone compares to. There's other cars where the manufacturer tried to do that and completely screw up the original formula. Some of the newest BMWs come to mind... the Z4 for example was a simple fun successful car as a Z3, then slightly less so but still somewhat fun and sporty as the first generation Z4 (even had an M model), but the second and current gen Z4 is completely neutered. They didn't even bother to make a M model.
True but the 911 is also the boring and expected choice. Not much has changed with its styling. Guess they don't want to mess with an icon.
Sponsored