Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
See Akio's latest interview :)
heres the link

https://toyotatimes.jp/en/toyota_news/1043_1.html#anchorTitles

Hongo
If I donā€™t ask this next question, the viewers wonā€™t forgive me: is a new Celica really on the cards?

Morizo
Youā€™ll have to ask Toyota Motor about that. Iā€™m not on the executive side.

Hongo
But you could put in a request, right?

Morizo
Well, I have, but I donā€™t know what name it will come out under.

Hongo
Surely no one would refuse a request by Morizo?

Morizo
Oh no (laughs). Plenty would. Some people are sick of hearing what Morizo has to say.

But in a sense, thatā€™s diversification. Without people like that, the Prius wouldnā€™t be what it is.

I won on the Crown, but the Prius was claimed by people who didnā€™t want to side with me. I think itā€™s good that we became a product-centered company capable of having such discussions for the sake of making ever-better cars.

When I said weā€™re going to make ever-better cars, I was often asked, ā€œWhat is a good car to you, Morizo?ā€ My only response was, ā€œYou'll have to figure that out for yourself.ā€ Yet, as a result, even though it took us ten years, I feel weā€™ve become a company that produces lots of what I consider to be ever-better cars. I believe we need to ensure that our product-centered approach and commitment to the genba continue to be passed down.

So, what was the question again? Oh yes, the Celica.
toyota_news_1043_05.jpg

Iā€™m not just saying this because weā€™re at a rally event, but Kankkunen (who was invited to the demo run) is Mr. Celica. He was champion four times in the Celica. Now you can all have a think about why Iā€™m using Kankkunen so much. See if you can guess!

Morizo delivered those last words straight down the camera, leading one viewer to comment: ā€œPressureā€™s on!ā€

Tsuki8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 3.0 AZ BM3 E50 WMI
Last edited:

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Ooohhh, very good question.
Given EV sharing is already established by the BZ4X and Solterra.
My thoughts exactly and the fact that Toyota likes to team up with other automakers for low selling niche products.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I'm not opposed to a GR EV-- it just depends on *how* they design it right down to drivetrain behavior, more than one single gear, classic focus on the driver with extremely minimal use of touchscreens, etc.

I'm not sure this is truly a "Supra" per se but GR is definitely working on some EV designs to do things their way as opposed to how a mainstream boring EV crossover is designed.

A gas-electric hybrid seems far more likely before 2028-2030 especially for something like a Supra. A Celica as an EV or some other far higher priced high performance model in the $100k+ USD range in the current timeframe... that would all make more sense.

Right now there is this window of a few years where the GR division hasn't got lower cost solid state battery EV tech that can make a proper high performance vehicle affordable... but they DO have those few years to offer gas-electric hybrids that use the best of both technologies while still meeting fuel economy and emissions requirements.

Just at a glance though... they need to nix that yoke style steering wheel immediately. Even Tesla buyers overwhelmingly *did not* want it in the new Model S and finally the company caved and put a normal steering wheel back in as the standard offering. I am surprised that the GR division would include that in one of their concept cars with their brand ethos and focus on fun-to-drive performance and enthusiast cars.

Also the "software defined updates" that is mentioned in the Kirk Kriefels video doesn't immediately inspire confidence with me. Anything that can be given via software updates can also be taken away. Not to mention Toyota wanting to keep it a walled garden most likely which might not be good for 3rd party tuning companies or fully custom programming by the owners themselves if they are able to be so proficient at it.

The "Gigapress" platform design ethos that Toyota is moving into overall concern me as to how repairable niche low volume and future collector models will be over time when OEM parts for them become increasingly scarce. A minor fender bender might really screw up a high performance model that is designed to be subjected to far higher stresses on track than a conventional car might be... which could be a problem if the gigapressed structure has been damaged in some way. I hope my concerns are blowing this out of proportion though.

Overall, to me, this new concept rendering of the orange sportscar suggests far more MR2 or future EV sports ideas than it does current Supra evolution. And the silver Lexus sportscar EV concept with the short rear and long hood looks *way more* Supra-like than this orange concept does.

Akio Toyoda's most recent interview which focuses on the Celica is, I think, showing us that this GR EV concept and the potential Celica revival are two different things which the GR division is pursing on different future release timelines. That's how I'm interpreting it.

Also we do know that Toyota is currently working on a 3rd gen GR86 using a heavily modified and downsized Lexus IS RWD platform and the G16E 3cyl turbo engine... and it's possible that Toyota may drop the GR86 name and call it "Celica' because whatever they end up with is something they may consider too substantially different from the current small 2850lb very low gas-only affordable sportscar. Who knows...?

Or... it's possible that the new Celica will be the long rumored GR coupe battery EV concept we've heard about before. And if that does end up being the case then what type of battery system will it get at the price point they want to sell it at? Bipolar lithium-ion batteries? Bleeding edge and far more expensive solid state batteries?

Also the latest on the MR2 is that it may actually be a thing with the G16E engine transverse in the rear-mid section... but will it be sold outside of Japan? You'd think it would be, right? Will it actually get a green light for production?

I'm not sure where any of all that currently suggests the very next gen Supra is directly related to this orange GR concept car.

Much to consider. I'm glad the GR division is cooking on all of these fronts right now while they can pursue all avenues for different types of enthusiast and fun vehicles.

Last edited:

not_howard

First Name
Not Howard...
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Only Hotwheels
On a different note if this gets greenlighted does that mean the 86 is done for? I can't see Toyota having to similarly sized and priced coupes under the Supra.

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
Maybe they'll send the 2.0 Supra to the retirement home because the Supra's main markets hardly give a crap about that model, and have a mid-engine sports car to fill that hole.

Also, scratch off that ā€œEVā€ in front of the Celica's name šŸ¤Ŗ.

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra / 2019 Y61 Nissan Patrol
Right, deja vu all over again lol.

bigmacmeme-mkvsupra-jpg.jpg
Mounting hard point of the chassis are a pain in the ass for every designer. Knocking them from a concept into an actual car they need to work around the chassis. That's why they can't go too fast in the concept car it will crumble lol. Hope someone does a body kit to mimic the concept.
Sponsored