Toyota S-FR concept

Should Toyota put the S-FR into production?

• Total voters

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
http://www.sfrforums.com/forums/showthread.php?1-Toyota-S-FR-Concept-Official-Preview!

TOYOTA_S-FR-626x417.jpg

Heading up the Toyota lineup of debuts at the 2015 Tokyo auto show is the S-FR concept, which stands for Small, Front-Engine, Rear-Drive. Aimed at bolstering the company’s performance image, the two-plus-two sports car boasts a compact configuration; Toyota characterizes it as an entry-level sports coupe—one that is headed for production.

TOYOTA_S-FR_front-626x417.jpg

Toyota isn’t yet sharing details of the car’s mechanicals, but we have it on good authority that it’s powered by a 1.5-liter naturally aspirated four-cylinder, making about 130 horsepower, which ought to be enough to motivate the 2160-pound coupe.

A wheelbase of 97.6 inches puts the S-FR about midway between Toyota’s current compact rear-drive sports coupe, the Scion FR-S (101.2 inches), and the Mazda Miata (90.9 inches). So, too, does the concept’s overall length of 157 inches, which is 10 inches shorter than the FR-S and three inches longer than the Mazda. At 66.7 inches wide, the Toyota is narrower than both cars, and it’s also taller, at 52 inches.

The S-FR clearly takes its inspiration from the Toyota Sports 800 from the 1960s, with a simple, rounded design that stands in stark contrast to recent Toyotas, which are a crazy quilt of angular sheetmetal. The black interior features similarly organic shapes and is brightened with neon-yellow, body-colored accents.

TOYOTA_S-FR_dash-626x417.jpg

The S-FR is actually the lower end of a three-pronged sports-car lineup that will include the FR-S directly above it and the new Toyota-and-BMW co-developed Supra successor above that. The S-FR is expected to go into production in late 2016, with sales starting in early 2017—here’s hoping those sales extend to American shores, as well.

TOYOTA_S-FR_rear-626x417.jpg
Sponsored

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
Sorry, not exactly what I'd be caught driving with all that jazz, but wouldn't a grocery bag in the truck provide the same amount of downforce at any speeds that 109 ft-lb could muster up!

Designs like this remind me that "I need to grow up and act my age....like a responsible 18 year old...!".

TOYOTA S-FR CONCEPT DONS RACING GEAR FOR TOKYO AUTO SALON
Compact sports coupe looks ready for the track.
Toyota-S-FR-Racing-concept-front-three-quarter2.jpg

11 PHOTOS
Erick Ayapana WordsDecember 3, 2015
Share this article in:

• The original S-FR is somewhat goofy, but the racing version, produced by Toyota GAZOO Racing, definitely looks mean. In addition to the aforementioned flared fenders and oversized spoilers, the S-FR racing concept features big hood vents, canards, and a lowered stance.

Toyota hasn’t released performance specs on the S-FR Racing concept (nor the original S-FR concept). An online forum, however, apparently leaked technical specs on the production version of the S-FR, revealing a 1.5-liter inline-four making 128 hp and 109 lb-ft of torque for the Japanese market. As previously reported, the rear-drive S-FR will be smaller and lighter than the FR-S, making it more of a Mazda MX-5 Miata fighter. Rumors also suggest it’ll only be sold with a manual transmission and a low price tag.

Other Toyotas slated for Tokyo Auto Salon are the Voxy G’s concept and the Noah G’s concept. The concepts are two modified takes on the Toyota Sienta, a minivan currently only offered in Japan.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/toyota-s-fr-concept-dons-racing-gear-for-tokyo-auto-salon/

Nadeshot!

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My trusty Jeep
There are rumors that this car will only be for Japan. That'd be too bad, I'd love to see the SFR move slightly upmarket and more power and this fun little car slot under it.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
I wouldn't mind a good convertible option as the third Toyota sports car to be honest. Although if I remember correctly Tada san came out of Retirement for the Supra. So if there's a third car, it's likely will be headed by someone else unless he sticks around again which is what I would hope.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Akio still wants the 3 Brothers?

At what costs? The Supra is the halo car so if they want an MR2, they'll have to find something or someone to collab to cut cost. I'd prefer Porsche but considering how Toyota went to BMW to make a Toyota version of Porsche, not likely.

Or could just take the Supra's suspension and body and throw in a 2GR engine in a FWD/AWD setup and label it a Celica at 45k. I would think costing more than STI will not cannibalize the sales but I'm just throwing suggestions around.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
I wouldn't mind a good convertible option as the third Toyota sports car to be honest. Although if I remember correctly Tada san came out of Retirement for the Supra. So if there's a third car, it's likely will be headed by someone else unless he sticks around again which is what I would hope.
I think a Lotus partnership would be more ideal

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
Or could just take the Supra's suspension and body and throw in a 2GR engine in a FWD/AWD setup and label it a Celica at 45k. I would think costing more than STI will not cannibalize the sales but I'm just throwing suggestions around.
I wouldn't mind seeing the 300HP 2GR engine from the Camry shoved into the engine bay of the new-generation Corolla. ;)

36509836_1463075790459945_7162810576941350912_o.jpg

36543667_1463075797126611_4801378952771796992_o.jpg

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Like I said, it would help keep cost down. I'd also like if Toyota played a bit in the hatch market but I feel that they have no business in it. If they were to go in and try to take the consumers out of the competition's pocket, they would have to go back and keep doing new things instead of up-keeping the models already there at a lowered cost and calling it a day. The other companies would be doing the same and might go overboard just so they don't get overtaken by Toyota. Food for thought.

Novice_Mentality

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Subaru WRX STI, 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2015 Ducati 899 Panigale
I wouldn't mind seeing the 300HP 2GR engine from the Camry shoved into the engine bay of the new-generation Corolla. ;)

36509836_1463075790459945_7162810576941350912_o.jpg

36543667_1463075797126611_4801378952771796992_o.jpg
An AWD Corolla hatcheback at around 300hp with Toyota reliability.....I would snatch this up sooooo quick.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
They do have a GR Hatch in Europe which I think is arguably the biggest hatch market. Wouldn't mind it if Tada san got involved int hatches too

Last edited:

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
They do have a GR Hatch in Europe which I think is arguably the biggest hatch market. Wouldn't mind it if Tada san got involved int hatches too

Tada's philosophy wouldn't mesh well. I think he has a strong fondness of Porsche for engine sound and handling skills.

I'd say have another chief engineer who likes power and practicality working with the engineers of the Supra project so their lessons in chassis and suspension tuning can be applied to this FWD/AWD Hatch
Sponsored