Not open for further replies.

arexniba

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, VOLVO, ACURA, DUCATI 899
Why is there talk about Porsches, tints, and silver lines?? lmao...

Have you guys thought about the possibility that the price being advertised for the base, premium, and launch editions are more than likely just a marketing scheme? North America is the Toyota's largest target market; therefore, dealers know they'll be able to markup like crazy. On another post, I stated that a few dealers I called in the area were planning to sell the launch edition at a $20k markup.

Are you guys that big of fans to purchase/finance this car once it's released in the states? I think I'll stick to BMW if it does, and purchase a used M4.
Sponsored

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Why is there talk about Porsches, tints, and silver lines?? lmao...
Because the a90 is targeted at competing with the Cayman

Have you guys thought about the possibility that the price being advertised for the base, premium, and launch editions are more than likely just a marketing scheme? North America is the Toyota's largest target market; therefore, dealers know they'll be able to markup like crazy. On another post, I stated that a few dealers I called in the area were planning to sell the launch edition at a $20k markup.
Are you implying that marketing is more than likely just a marketing scheme? Yes marketing is marketing.
Are you guys that big of fans to purchase/finance this car once it's released in the states?
Yes
I think I'll stick to BMW if it does, and purchase a used M4
okay

arexniba

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Because the a90 is targeted at competing with the Cayman

Are you implying that marketing is more than likely just a marketing scheme? Yes marketing is marketing.

Yes

okay
Thank you for breaking down my post. Didn't realize there was someone out there that would take time out of their "busy" day to dissect my comments. lol

There is a difference between marketing and a marketing scheme. Google it.

To answer your question, my implication is that Toyota is hyping it up for the US market. No US dealer is aware of when the Supra will come to the US or which dealers will be lucky to have them. The UK already had the opportunity to put a deposit down; whereas, we have no information besides an estimate of when it will come to the states. They're hyping us up because they paid a hefty fee just to advertise the car on the superbowl commericals. That led to millions more of Americans knowing that it will come back--many that had no clue that it was even being developed. Hence, the hype will generate a lot more interested people, fans and those with money.

It's only logical that if this trend continues for the next couple of months, then surely all dealers will have markups. And as stated before, some dealers in the SF Bay Area are already looking upwards to a $20k markup. Mind you, one of the richest cities in the USA.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Thank you for breaking down my post. Didn't realize there was someone out there that would take time out of their "busy" day to dissect my comments. lol
thanks
There is a difference between marketing and a marketing scheme. Google it.
"Marketing scheme" has no definition outside of the individual words
To answer your question, my implication is that Toyota is hyping it up for the US market. No US dealer is aware of when the Supra will come to the US or which dealers will be lucky to have them. The UK already had the opportunity to put a deposit down; whereas, we have no information besides an estimate of when it will come to the states. They're hyping us up because they paid a hefty fee just to advertise the car on the superbowl commericals. That led to millions more of Americans knowing that it will come back--many that had no clue that it was even being developed. Hence, the hype will generate a lot more interested people, fans and those with money.

It's only logical that if this trend continues for the next couple of months, then surely all dealers will have markups. And as stated before, some dealers in the SF Bay Area are already looking upwards to a $20k markup. Mind you, one of the richest cities in the USA.
I don't get the fixation with dealer markups, this has always been a thing on new popular cars. If someone just has to have it, let them pay more it is their decision. When the hype dies so will the markups, I don't even understand why it is a conversion. If someone wants the car but doesnt want to pay the $70k then all they have to do is be patient.

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
@arexniba Yeah I've been watching those trends too, curious as to how dealers are handling orders. @justbake said it best, just b/c SOME dealers are now marking up the price doesn't mean all will. There were ppl on that trend that said they put down deposits without mark ups.

I wouldn't say its a "marketing scheme," but rather the Dealers are the ones using the hype to their advantage. Porsche has a similar problem like this, I'll share my brief experience with them. I tried buying a 2016 Cayman GT4, but ultimately I got priced out of essentially a bidding war (Mark up) going into 120K. I said, "F*** that" and I'll hold on to my money to see what the market brings in a few years time or I could buy a used GT4 in between the wait. I was living in NYC at the time.

If someone needs to have their farts be the first farts on the seat then let them pay 15K+ for it. I rather wait on the GRMN for that luxury. Toyota's marketing is doing their job at hyping the car. It's the dealers that use that hype how ever they want to, this is free market in America.

arexniba

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
thanks

"Marketing scheme" has no definition outside of the individual words

I don't get the fixation with dealer markups, this has always been a thing on new popular cars. If someone just has to have it, let them pay more it is their decision. When the hype dies so will the markups, I don't even understand why it is a conversion. If someone wants the car but doesnt want to pay the $70k then all they have to do is be patient.
I don't get what's your fixation with my posts... Moreover, if they markup the cars, it's very likely people will be able to afford it. So if you're talking about being "patient" to buy one, I'm assuming you're talking about buying a used one? I give the R35 as an example. MSRP on it was ~$99k, and it was marked up to $20k and more. The price didn't deter buyers at all. The Supra will likely be less, therefore more affordable to the masses. And if I'm correct about you meaning to buy a used one, then the price will never come down. I truly think this will be a collector's car. The value may not drop as much as you think it will.

@arexniba Yeah I've been watching those trends too, curious as to how dealers are handling orders. @justbake said it best, just b/c SOME dealers are now marking up the price doesn't mean all will. There were ppl on that trend that said they put down deposits without mark ups.

I wouldn't say its a "marketing scheme," but rather the Dealers are the ones using the hype to their advantage. Porsche has a similar problem like this, I'll share my brief experience with them. I tried buying a 2016 Cayman GT4, but ultimately I got priced out of essentially a bidding war (Mark up) going into 120K. I said, "F*** that" and I'll hold on to my money to see what the market brings in a few years time or I could buy a used GT4 in between the wait. I was living in NYC at the time.

If someone needs to have their farts be the first farts on the seat then let them pay 15K+ for it. I rather wait on the GRMN for that luxury. Toyota's marketing is doing their job at hyping the car. It's the dealers that use that hype how ever they want to, this is free market in America.
Yea, maybe you're right. I used "marketing scheme" to freely. I guess it's my distaste that dealers are taking advantage of the hype to see the interest in potential buyers and what they're willing to pay. I guess the true "scheme" here would be the bs "contract" most people are signing by putting in deposits. It's up to the dealer to keep their word that they will sell to those who are putting down deposits at MSRP. I'm gravitating, in hope, to the dealers I called up that WONT accept any deposits until they get word from HQ and have VIN's to start taking deposits.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I don't get what's your fixation with my posts...
Yeah
Moreover, if they markup the cars, it's very likely people will be able to afford it. So if you're talking about being "patient" to buy one, I'm assuming you're talking about buying a used one? I give the R35 as an example. MSRP on it was ~$99k, and it was marked up to $20k and more. The price didn't deter buyers at all. The Supra will likely be less, therefore more affordable to the masses. And if I'm correct about you meaning to buy a used one, then the price will never come down. I truly think this will be a collector's car. The value may not drop as much as you think it will.
Nope being patient to buy a new one. Markups don't last forever, you can go to a Ford dealership and buy a new RS without a markup right now.

The price didn't deter buyers because they thought the price was worth it, simple as that. We literally compare our internal value of any good/service to that of the cost every time we make a purchase, it is our responsibility as consumers to do so. When my favorite laundry detergent gets to $15/bottle, I won't buy it. When my cell phone bill is $700/month, I will cancel it.

Just because we are excited for this car's release doesn't mean we are mindless consumers. If someone has an excess $20k in their pocket to be one of the first with the car, good for them

arexniba

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nope being patient to buy a new one. Markups don't last forever, you can go to a Ford dealership and buy a new RS without a markup right now.
Okay

The price didn't deter buyers because they thought the price was worth it, simple as that. We literally compare our internal value of any good/service to that of the cost every time we make a purchase, it is our responsibility as consumers to do so. When my favorite laundry detergent gets to $15/bottle, I won't buy it. When my cell phone bill is $700/month, I will cancel it.
"Responsibility"...what's that? :thumbsdown:

Just because we are excited for this car's release doesn't mean we are mindless consumers. If someone has an excess $20k in their pocket to be one of the first with the car, good for them
That's cool :dance:

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 6MT (track car), 2011 BMW 128i 6MT (daily), patiently waiting for 2020 Supra 6MT
Yeah

That's a Ford. Try going to a Porsche dealer and see if you can get a GT car at or below sticker.

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 6MT (track car), 2011 BMW 128i 6MT (daily), patiently waiting for 2020 Supra 6MT
That does not explain the cheap materials used on a full tank mounted within the firewall! Which caused the fire that caused them to die. The coroner confirmed they were alive before the fire burned them to death. The crash alone would not have caused it.....
True. But regardless, if you give any dumbass or inexperienced driver the keys to any car over 300hp and they decide to turn off the traction control and go joy riding and think they are Aryton Senna behind the wheel, you will get people crashing and getting seriously hurt or die. Doesn't matter if its a Carrera GT, Porsche 911, Mk4 Supra, BMW, or a Mk5. I can bet you once this car is out you see stories here in this very forum of how the driver (doesn't matter if they are 16, 25, 35, 45, or older) was racing someone on the street, turned off traction control and couldn't handle the car and wrapped themselves around a tree. All this talk of BMW's being more "safe" than a Porsche is nonsense. I've seen in on may forums before when a new car comes out. Just give it time.

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well, I guess I will find out. I have driven a 991.2 GT3 and will be trading for my 981 GT4. I have faith that this thing will be good to drive.
Oof. You will miss that engine that's for sure. I have a GT4 and have driven a 991.1 GT3. The GT4 is nice but if I could I would trade it for a GT3 in a heartbeat.

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thats why I asked. What exactly are GT cars by your definition?
981 Cayman GT4, 911 GT3, 911 GT2, 911 GT3RS, 911 GT2RS, upcoming 718 GT4.

And that's not just "my definition". Go to any automotive journalist publication and they all will tell you what a GT Porsche is.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.