Toyota S-FR concept

Should Toyota put the S-FR into production?

• Total voters

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
I think an MR2 makes more sense, but if the MR2 sits below the 86 wouldn't it be really slow? Or are they going to up the performance of the next 86? I'm not asking for crazy power though, just quick enough to have fun.
Sponsored

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
A70 revealed that this project has been cancelled.
Yes he did, but there is still a lot of love for this little thing on places like FT86club and VWvortex. Not to mention in the UK interview Tada said Toyota still wants a 3 sports car line up. I don't think its a bad idea to show Toyota there is still a lot of interest in a sub 86 sports car; weather its something like the S-FR or a MR-2.

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)
I think an MR2 makes more sense, but if the MR2 sits below the 86 wouldn't it be really slow? Or are they going to up the performance of the next 86? I'm not asking for crazy power though, just quick enough to have fun.
I guess, in any way, Toyota’s 3rd sports car, as well as the 2nd-generation 86, will be electrified, somehow. Toyota mentioned that the Supra may be their last non-electrified present for enthusiasts. Possibly some sort of hybrid power, or electric boost are in the cards for Toyota’s mini sports car.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
I guess, in any way, Toyota’s 3rd sports car, as well as the 2nd-generation 86, will be electrified, somehow. Toyota mentioned that the Supra may be their last non-electrified present for enthusiasts. Possibly some sort of hybrid power, or electric boost are in the cards for Toyota’s mini sports car.
I would rather they built this hybrid MR-2! :D

Toyota-GRMN-Sports-Hybrid-Concept-II-Carscoop3.jpg

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)
I would rather they built this hybrid MR-2! :D

Toyota-GRMN-Sports-Hybrid-Concept-II-Carscoop3.jpg
It would possibly qualify as a kei-car and compete with the Honda S660. Toyota previewed the hybrid MR2 a few years back but did not release any further update since then. They keep a lot of secrets. Better if we would see a combination of MR2 and S-FR, or better if both. But both are different aince MR2 is mid-engined while S-FR is front-engined. Just like with the 86 that was rumored to be a hybrid and receive a turbo. In the end, it’s just a Boxer-4.:spaz:

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
It would possibly qualify as a kei-car and compete with the Honda S660. Toyota previewed the hybrid MR2 a few years back but did not release any further update since then. They keep a lot of secrets. Better if we would see a combination of MR2 and S-FR, or better if both. But both are different aince MR2 is mid-engined while S-FR is front-engined. Just like with the 86 that was rumored to be a hybrid and receive a turbo. In the end, it’s just a Boxer-4.:spaz:
Probably not, the last gen for example was like 20 inches longer than the S660. I agree, I would love to see both happened, a $18k-$20k S-FR (86 replacement) and a $30k 4th gen MR-2.

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)
Probably not, the last gen for example was like 20 inches longer than the S660. I agree, I would love to see both happened, a $18k-$20k S-FR (86 replacement) and a $30k 4th gen MR-2.
It is possible that if Subaru doesn’t want a 2nd-gen BRZ, Toyota could work their way out. Toyota could tie-up with Mazda, using MX-5’s platform(and engines too), for the 2nd-gen 86. I believe 2nd-gen 86 would still be around $27,000 or even a bit more expensive. The small sports car could be priced below the 86. If Toyota would do the 3rd sports car independently, it’s possible they could just make something like a modified Yaris GRMN. MR2 sounds interesting, but the problem is the mid-engine layout. I believe Toyota wants a simpler front-engine layout, and if that’s the way to go, then it would be the S-FR. Possible that’s the reason why Toyota renamed the FR-S to 86, so that buyers wouldn’t be confused with FR-S and S-FR.

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
It is possible that if Subaru doesn’t want a 2nd-gen BRZ, Toyota could work their way out. Toyota could tie-up with Mazda, using MX-5’s platform(and engines too), for the 2nd-gen 86. I believe 2nd-gen 86 would still be around $27,000 or even a bit more expensive. The small sports car could be priced below the 86. If Toyota would do the 3rd sports car independently, it’s possible they could just make something like a modified Yaris GRMN. MR2 sounds interesting, but the problem is the mid-engine layout. I believe Toyota wants a simpler front-engine layout, and if that’s the way to go, then it would be the S-FR. Possible that’s the reason why Toyota renamed the FR-S to 86, so that buyers wouldn’t be confused with FR-S and S-FR.
If the SF-R has 130hp and weighs under 1 tonne, wouldn't it basically be an AE86 but it's born in the present rather than the 80s?

Imagine an 86 with Mazda MX-5's suspension, that would be f@#king awesome! :spaz:

Last edited:

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)
If the SF-R has 130hp and weighs under 1 tonne, wouldn't it basically be an AE86 but it's born in the present rather than the 80s?

Imagine an 86 with Mazda MX-5's suspension, that would be f@#king awesome! :spaz:
Sounds impressive....and add some electrification for extra boost. How does it sound?

Patchaaron

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS350, corolla
I'd take the S-fr grmn version over all the other mentioned tbh. but I would love to see a new mr2.

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
https://www.motoring.com.au/toyota-still-on-track-for-third-sports-car-116258/

Toyota still on track for third sports car

The man responsible for reigniting Toyota’s sports car program seven years ago with the Toyota 86 coupe and now the Toyota Supra says his work is not yet finished.

Tetsuya Tada is Toyota’s chief engineer for sports cars and in the past has made mention of three sports car ‘brothers’.

The Toyota 86 was the first, the Supra is the second, so what about the third?

Tada-san was in Australia this week for the final part of a whistle-stop development sign-off tour with the new Supra, before its chassis and powertrain is finally green-lit for production.

So we quizzed him about whether he still has the blessing from Toyota’s global CEO Akio Toyodafor the ‘third brother’ in his sports car master plan.

The softly-spoken performance car guru wouldn’t outright confirm the name or type of vehicle that is coming next, but he did verify that a third sports car is still in development.

“There are lots of projects that are also going through at the same time, and our young engineers are working on them, preparing for [another] fun sports car,” he said.

“But we don’t know which one will make it to production [yet].”

Tada said the third car will be the baby brother which could mean an even more affordable option than the $31,440 Toyota 86.

It was widely expected that the third vehicle would be a production version of the Toyota SF-R first revealed at the 2015 Tokyo motor show — a compact rear-drive sports car in the vein of the Mazda MX-5 with a low power engine.

“The middle one is 86, the older brother is Supra,” he explained, before cautioning that because sports cars are not traditionally profitable, the gestation period will be lengthy.

In other words, don’t expect to see another Toyota sports car for several years.

“To take a sports car up to production there are a lot of hurdles,” said Tada.

Based on recent murmurings of a resurrected Celica or MR2, it’s entirely possible that Toyota may exhume those much-loved names for its third sports car.

“Celica, MR2 
 they are all requesting these cars. The voices from the market are going to push us [in the right direction] so I would like to hear more from the market,” he said.

We recently reported on speculation of an electric sports car wearing the MR2 badge, but Tada appeared to scoff at this idea.

“It’s fun to read those stories,” he laughed.

Both the 86 and the Supra coupes are powered by non-Toyota engines – Subaru and BMW powerplants respectively – and the big ‘T’ has partnered with those companies in order to reduce development time and costs.

But it’s not clear whether Toyota’s third sports car will again be a collaboration with another car brand.

What is crystal clear is that is Toyota’s new strategy to add a little razzle-dazzle to its model range has elevated the company from a dowdy, boring brand, to something more aspirational.

When Akio Toyoda, a self-confessed rev-head, anointed Tetsuya Tada to spearhead the brand’s return to the sports car fold, he gave the man free reign to get the job done.

Once the third and final sports car emerges in the next decade, the legacy of both men will be complete.