Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Toyota is definitely working on a new Celica and it's definitely going to be either a gas-electric hybrid or full battery EV...

...But I still don't see it as being derived from the FT-Se two-seater concept car. That's going to be its own thing. The FT-Se makes a LOT of sense as a new MR2 but Toyota so far has tried to distance it from that association.

The new Celica on the other hand... based on much older rumors, was reported to be a much more traditional coupe shaped vehicle.

From Kirk's video I didn't get anything that specifically linked the FT-Se concept to progress on the new Celica.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^^ This BestCar rendering looks better than the mot recent show car concept. Far less overly busy with a much more cohesive front end design.

We'll see what it eventually becomes.

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Handling should be interesting...

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm... so this new "MR2" is very likely to be powered by the G16E-GTS I-3 turbo engine and will probably have 2WD-only adapted versions of the 6-speed manual transmission and automatic transmission from the GR Yaris. Those are such no-brainer choices for a new MR2 and I'm glad if it turns out to be the case

And supposedly no hybrid system as a very last hurrah pure ICE sportscar?

$68k USD to $100k USD is a lot... and the extremely low production numbers aren't going to be very fun. And it had *better not* be limited to the Japanese market only. I don't want to wait until around 2050 to be able to have a chance of owning one in the U.S.

But if this is really a totally separate car from the FT-Se Concept then I'll take it. And I am still interested to see how the FT-Se develops (minus the awful yoke steering wheel and with better stying).

I also like what is VERY briefly mentioned about the 3rd generation GR86, a next generation Supra MKVI and the next gen Lexus IS and next gen Lexus RWD coupe model.

Last edited:

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As a longtime anime watcher I find this series they're doing a bit cringe but I get it as a marketing exercise.

However for the little hints and tidbits about what they're wanting to do and emphasize in their GR lineup it's nice with highlights for the Altezza and MR2 lineage in this one.

Last edited:

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
That's the Se under the covers. You can see how the tail lights even pop up from the head shot.

sc.jpg

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's the Se under the covers. You can see how the tail lights even pop up from the head shot.

sc.jpg
I see that, yes. And in addition I like how they're showcasing the 1998-2005 Altezza RS200 sedan in this episode. This would fall right into line with the rumors that a four-door variant of the GR86 is in the works... since it is being based off the current (and soon to be outgoing) RWD Lexus IS platform.

That either suggests that the GR86 two door coupe will be no more... or if it will remain as a variant of that chassis then Toyota may be also planning a successor to the RWD Altezza sport sedan as yet another product in the GR model line. Akio Toyoda or some other GR representative did let slip many months ago a question as to whether fans would like to see GR do a sport sedan. So far there are some signs that may be a real possibility to add to the lineup.

I would bet on seeing whatever comes from that engineering exercise in production form a bit before we see any kind of MR2/FT-Se go on sale.
Sponsored