Toyota S-FR concept

Should Toyota put the S-FR into production?

• Total voters

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
They should just build this for that targeted price tag of $16k and slap on the Celica nameplate.
They could... and they have registered the name "Celica" again so they're likely to do something with it just as they will with "MR2". $16k for the S-FR as is would be absolutely killer and definitely hit a young audience with an 86-like car with the same hardware (manual, RWD, LSD, 2+2) and formula but in a smaller body at a more affordable price.

But I have to wonder if the S-FR will be called a "Celica" or if an eventual Celica will be another design that is a bit bigger, still a coupe, but FWD based with a top range AWD GT-Four variant.

I don't buy the S-FR concept being called "MR2". That wouldn't be in the spirit of what the previous MR2's were.

So far they have one "brother" (the Supra) so that might leave only two more if they're being traditional about it.

--Supra (RWD, 2 seater, $50k+)
--MR2 (RWD MR, 2 seater, $???)
--Celica(RWD? FWD/AWD?, 2+2, $23k-$35k??)
--SFR (small RWD 2+2 LSD everyday fun affordable car, $16k-$20k??)

Maybe the wildcard here is that we remember the Celica GT-Four AWD rally car (which everyone loves) and Tetsuya Tada has mentioned he would love to do one of those.

But... for an AWD rally car it would make even more sense right now to do a Corolla GT-Four based on the new TGNA platform 2019+ Corolla hatch chassis.

Rather than try to do that as a niche version of a bigger new FWD Celica chassis, maybe you're right, Captain_Kirk. Maybe it will be more like this:

--Supra (2-seater RWD high performance, $50k)
--MR2 (2-seater RWD-MR ?? performance target/range, $?? price range)
--Celica (2+2 seater, RWD/LSD/Manual, S-FR concept production version, $16k-$23k, aimed at fun driving and everyday usability)

...and...

--2019+ Corolla TGNA FWD turned into a Corolla GT-Four AWD performance rally model (5-seater hatch, STI/Type R/Golf R fighter, $33k-$38k)

And under the GT-Four they could do a cheaper "Corolla FX-16" or something like that as a FWD 200-230hp sport hatch trim level.

All just speculating wildly. But if "GT-Four" is separated from "Celica" then I see the S-FR as-is having a better shot in the lineup. If however we eventually see a "Celica GT-Four" again then I think the regular Celica will have to take on the role of a wider audience.... which may not exist so much today as it did in the 1990's and early 2000's.

So as you suggest, if the Celica were to return to its early 80's RWD roots in a spiritual successor but no longer be tied to the Celica-Supra... then I think the S-FR has a very good shot at keeping the Celica name very pure.

But... maybe there is a bigger surprise in store for the "Celica" name. All I know is that the S-FR should be sold globally as-is or beefed up (with it's manual transmission retained) and that the ST205 Celica GT-Four was an awesome, timeless and beautiful car.

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
Am I the only one that sees the S-FR concept as a modernised AE86?

I know looks are subjective but I'm not really digging the exterior design of the S-FR concept, it just doesn't suit a sports car.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
What would power the ST206 Celica? (yes, I'm not counting the SS-I!)

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A more powerful version of the 8AR-FTS?

And if they went with the ST-xxx designation again it likely would not be called a 206. They usually jumped by tens or twenties, so it would make more sense for it to be an ST-215 or ST-225... or something like that.

I could see it since Toyota did bring the new Supra into the A90 designation from A80.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
btw the sfr is not entirely dead, the concept car we saw may be , but i believe they are trying to figure what to do about it, i would say 2021 will be the year we finally have some clarity on the matter. At this point tho most things are just guesses, even for some people who are actively working on it.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
btw the sfr is not entirely dead, the concept car we saw may be , but i believe they are trying to figure what to do about it, i would say 2021 will be the year we finally have some clarity on the matter. At this point tho most things are just guesses, even for some people who are actively working on it.
It could compete with the Alpine A110

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
It could compete with the Alpine A110
the alpine competes with the cayman and the possibly with the supra in the near future. The sfr if it ever gets produced will be below the 86 in terms of product placement, so the answer to that is no. If it was produced tomorrow its competition would be something like the honda s660 maybe or some cars like the polo gti, clio rs etc.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^^ The S-FR included, all cars that should ideally be sold in the U.S. as well. The S660 is the only one of the bunch that is truly “micro” and still it would be great to see it in the market too, probably in rumored 1.0L displacement.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
true , even here ( europe) with tight spaces and small cars , it would need at least 1 liter to compete with anything considered sporty.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
I also find it hard to believe that the SFR is dead. It looked more like a pre-production car rather than a crazy concept. Also the video on page 2 said 20XX. Does that mean we'll finally see something happen in 2020? It would also fall in line with what Tada san has said about a sports car taking 5 years to develop.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Keep your eye out for some announcements
Ok, that is intriguing
Sponsored