Toyota GR Super Sport Concept

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
gotta be honest, and I know I'm not alone... just give me that thing and forget about the Supra lol
For real.

My childhood fantasies of owning/driving the GT-One could finally come true. :bow::bow::bow::bow:

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Toyota Gazoo GR Super Sport Concept hints at Supra hybrid powertrain
Race-influenced model showcases technology grown from Toyota’s Le Mans racing programme and emphasises brand's intent

Toyota Gazoo has revealed a car called the GR Super Sport Concept that hints at the brand's hybrid intentions for its hotly anticipated Supra successor.

On show at the Tokyo Auto Salon, the concept is based on the company's World Endurance Championship prototype racer, the TS050 Hybrid. It features the same carbonfibre structure and nestles a 2.4-litre V6 petrol engine with electric assistance behind the cockpit.

The LMP1 category TS050, which is competing in this year's championship and crowning Le Mans 24 Hours round, delivers a combined 987bhp to all four wheels, suggesting the concept would do the same.

Although only a concept, the GR Super Sport continues to signal the hunger for Toyota’s performance arm, Gazoo Racing, to produce more high-performance cars for the road, particularly ones that utilise electrified power.

The newly launched division will introduce a new sports car, which could adopt the name Supra, late this year - and this concept suggests it'll directly benefit from technology developed in the TS050.

The Supra successor will become a halo car, following the new Yaris GRMN, which marked Gazoo's arrival in Britain (Autocar has just driven it). The Yaris model sticks with turbocharged petrol power, but the Supra, part-developed alongside the next BMW Z4, thanks to a tech tie-up between the two companies, is due with four and six-cylinder engines, the latter of which will come available with electronic assistance.

Gazoo president Shigeki Tomoyama said: "If the e-Palette concept [an autonomous pod that was revealed earlier this week in Las Vegas] is the next generation of the horse-drawn carriage, the GR Super Sport Concept would be the polar opposite as the next-generation racehorse. Its appeal is more personal, like that of a much-loved horse to its owner.

"Despite the differences between the two concept models, both are electrified vehicles equipped with the latest IT technologies and are set to become safe and environmentally friendly connected cars."

Gazoo has also brought an 86 GR (based on the GT86) and the Vitz GRMN, a limited-run Japan-only hot hatch, to Tokyo. The division is showing cars that have competed in the World Rally Championship, World Endurance Championship and national rallies and races in order to emphasise its competition roots.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...zoo-gr-super-sport-concept-hints-supra-hybrid

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Close to the secret of Toyota Super New Sports GR Super Sports! Direct coverage for developers!

Toyota's super death sports car "GR Super Sports Concept" that was unveiled worldwide at the Tokyo Auto Salon held in January 2018. Until shortly before, this project manager also thought "Will it really come out ...?" This concept car, which I thought was really ..., Mr. Shigeki Tomoyama (President of Toyota Motor Corporation, President of Gazoo Racing Company) at the press conference, declared the marketing Development is progressing on the premise.

We would like to deliver together the GR sports concept, the information released, together with the information our magazine grabs at the present time, and the content we got interviewed by the chief engineer at the venue. He was the chief engineer who produced that hit work!

Release around 2021, price is surely over 100 million yen!
 "GR Super Sports" unveiled worldwide at the Tokyo Auto Salon will be the road version of "WEC (World Endurance Championship) participating vehicle" Toyota TS 050 ".

At the moment, we are planning to install the same power unit as this racing machine, and its outline is V6 ofsystem output 1000 ps, 2.4L direct injection twin turbo + THS-R (Toyota hybrid system · racing). Combining the EV system and the lean burn engine, the thermal efficiency realized a wonderful 50%, and it is stated that it will raise the figure further when marketing it.

The point is not to "make sports cars based on commercial cars" but "to make sports cars from racing cars". Vice president Tomiyama mentioned before said "Toyota is the first challenge".

When actually looking at the concept car (the frame body was opened at the venue), although the position of the cooling system has been changed, such as by placing the radiator at the front and the intercooler on the side, the contents are almost TS050 itself.

And, as chief engineer of this model, Hiroyuki Furukawa who developed Toyota C - HR. He moved to the GR brand from May last year, he said that he will stay in Cologne, Germany in the future for the development of this car.

%E5%8F%A4%E8%91%89%E3%81%95%E3%82%93%E3%81%A8.jpg

Mr. Hiroyuki Koba and GR Super Sports Concept

"Most of the racing engines are used only when the accelerator is fully opened or fully closed, and the road car is almost not fully opened, so we optimize the exhaust gas at the half throttle finely by the concentration of the mixture and timing of fuel injection Of course, we also add a catalyst to the exhaust system, but still we can get power. "

And Mr. Furusa.

Naturally, it is not merely to put the body of the road car on the TS 050 of the WEC machine, but development from this point seems to be incomprehensible.

Regarding that point, the design manager who caught himself at the Auto salon site said, "In the Hakone Ekiden, it is still not going to be a stormy mountain overtaking on the way, which will take time from now," he says.

08_2017_WEC_Shanghai_Sunday_8_s.jpg

TS050 fighting WEC (World Endurance Championship). The strongest hybrid car

The characteristic of this car is not only to make racing cars a commercial car but also to embody "near future future sports" full of state-of-the-art connected technology. Interior is neither Spartans nor formal but aims for "futuristic", and in that respect also provides new values.

Only for cars that are categories of McLaren P1 (about 100 million yen), La Ferrari (about 200 million yen), AMG Project One (about 300 million yen), the price is surely over 100 million yen. It is expected to appear around 2021 as a limited car of 100 to 200 units scale.

We will also tell you on our website as soon as information is updated.

https://bestcarweb.jp/news/newcar/2370

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Yikes, so $928,000 US. Its probably going to have super low production numbers. :(

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7

DEVELOPMENT OF TOYOTA'S NEXT-GENERATION SUPER SPORTS CAR HAS STARTED

Today TOYOTA GAZOO Racing (TGR) unveiled the GR Super Sport Concept at the 86th edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

First revealed at the 2018 Tokyo Auto Salon in January, this next-generation hyper car incorporates hybrid electric technology honed through Toyota's participation in the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC).

Meanwhile, the development of Toyota's next generation of super sports car has started. It takes the cutting-edge hybrid electric systems and fuel economy technology that the TGR WEC team has tested and refined during the past six years in WEC, and showcases them in one superb package.

The GR Super Sport Concept is powered by a V6 twin turbocharger and the Toyota Hybrid System-Racing (THS-R), delivering a combined output of 1,000 DIN hp, which it shares with the TS050 Hybrid LMP1 race car.

Shigeki Tomoyama, President of GAZOO Racing Company, said: "Competing in the World Endurance Championship -one of the most demanding motorsports series- and racing at Le Mans -one of the most iconic races- helps us to advance the development of our world-leading hybrid electric technology and enables us to transfer the knowledge we gain into our production cars.

As the automotive industry is approaching an era of big changes, we will continue our passion for making cars that are truly exciting. No matter how electronics and digital technology will continue to transform vehicles, we will make sure that our cars will not become just another commodity.

We started this project because we believe that creating a super sports car that delivers the same appeal as the TS050 Hybrid greatly adds to Toyota's involvement in WEC. And at some point in the near future, customers will have a chance to get behind the wheel of this incredible machine and experience its astonishing power and driving performance", concludes Tomoyama.

*The GR Super Sport Concept will be on display during the 86th 24 Hours of Le Mans at the TOYOTA GAZOO Racing "Fan Village" starting Saturday, June 16 (Opening Hours: Saturday, June 16 09:00-02:00 +1, Sunday, June 17 09:00-15:00).

*The new movie and graphics of GR Super Sport Concept revealed at the press conference can be downloaded here: https://www.tgr-dam.com

GR SUPER SPORT CONCEPT SPECIFICATION
Powertrain Engine type Twin-turbo direct injection V6
Engine displacement 2,400 cm³
Combined max. power
(Engine + Hybrid motors) 735 kW / 1,000 DIN hp
Hybrid system Toyota Hybrid System - Racing (THS-R)
Wheels Size
(front & rear) 18 x 13J
Tyres Size
(front & rear) 330/710R18
https://toyotagazooracing.com/release/2018/wec/0615-01.html

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
https://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1127917.html

【Le Mans 24 Hours 2018】 Toyota Tomoyama Vice President, explained that the marketing of the GR Super Sports concept is "in the near future"
TOYOTA GAZOO Racing press conference
Held on June 15, 2018 (local time)
036_l.jpg

"GR Super Sports Concept" which became European Premier at Le Mans 24 Hours race. It will emerge as a commercial car that conforms to Le Mans new provision Hyper Car GT Prototype from 2020
 "86th Le Mans 24 Hour Race" is held at Salto Circuit in Le Mans City, France, from 13th to 17th June (local time). On Friday (June 15, 2018) is a rest day, on the circuit a press conference will be held for pit walks and media stakeholders for fans.

Toyota Motor, aiming for his first victory over 33 years, also held a press conference at the "TOYOTA Fan Village Area" specialized in the circuit since the first race in Toms 85 C in 1985. Among them, Mr. Shigeki Tomiyama, vice president and vice president of Toyota Motor Corporation and President Gazzo Racing Company, first published the "GR Super Sports Concept" in Europe, which was the world premiere in the Tokyo Auto Salon in January.

Promised commercialization of GR Super Sports Concept based on "Fun car" "TS050-HYBIRD" that we also driven Le Mans
014_l.jpg

Mr. Shigeki Tomiyama President, Toyota Motor Corporation Vice President and President, GAZOO Racing Company
 Mr. Tomiyama who attended the press conference said, "Le Mans 24 hours is the most famous race in the world and it is a very enthusiastic time, last year my boss, Akio Toyoda came to this circuit, It was time to reconfirm that it is a very important historic race for automobile manufacturers, but unfortunately we did not win, but this year we decided to swear to the driver so far, "he said , In 2018 it was said that Toyota is going to win the win. And as a result of preparing for one year, "The car increased its durability, the team grew, and Fernando Alonso also joined the team to power up," and the race was set up He said that he only greeted me.

015_l.jpg

Mr. Tomoyama's message
017_l.jpg

GR Super Sports Concept
018_s.jpg

019_s.jpg

TS050 - HYBRID will become a direct super sports car
024_s.jpg

025_s.jpg

026_s.jpg

GR Super Sports Concept
 Mr. Tomiyama explained Gazoo Racing Company where he is president. "Although our company started as the smallest company among Toyota Motor Company, we will continue to be a racing company in the future", introduced vehicles such as Yaris GR (Japan name GR Vitz), SUPRA · Racing concept, Explaining that the GAZOO Racing Company was established as a company sending such pure sports cars to the market.

"The WEC is one of the most prestige series in the world and has been participating in the past six years.When it is important to win in the race, at the same time, it is important to win technology R & D is also an important factor, there is a role of feeding back the technology of electric motorization etc. to the production car Unfortunately Porsche which was our competition has withdrawn, but still Le Mans continues to be a hybrid It is a necessary place for development of the system, "he emphasized that the reason for continuing to participate in Le Mans 24 hours is technological development, especially hybrid development.

021_s.jpg

022_s.jpg

023_s.jpg

Mr. Tomoyama test drive also at Fuji Speedway
 On that basis, "GR Super Sports Concept" was first released in Europe as the next generation super sports developed based on TS 050 - HYBIRD technology which Toyota runs with Le Mans. For details of the GR Super Sports concept, we would like to see related article ( 1000PS's new concept car "GR Super Sports Concept" ), but combined with ICE of 2.4 liter direct injection V6 turbo and Toyota Hybird System-Racing (THS-R) It has a power unit and realizes a system output of 735 kW (1000 PS), it becomes a road car of 2 seater.

When Mr. Tomoyama says, "Who do you want this?", All the drivers of TOYOTA GAZOO Racing, who are sitting in the front row, took the initiative and raised their hands, especially against the Kobayashi Kamihei player who raised his hands Tomoyama said "Thank you Kamui, save money," and the venue was laughed.

020_l.jpg

Toyota driver who quickly raised hands and expressed hope for purchase. Kobu Kobayashi player on the right
 Actually Mr. Tomoyama, following the lecture by Kobayashi Kamui, he driven TS050-HYBIRD by himself at Fuji Speedway. Mr. Tomiyama says, "I thought that this was impossible due to the enormous list of memorable things, but I managed to start it and it was fun and laughed when I tried to drive.It's a car that I have never experienced before. He stated that he started the project with the concept of stuffing the TS050-HYBIRD essence into the GR Super Sports concept, saying, "Everyone will certainly be driving this someday," he said on the market It is clear that it is a plan to go.

At the end of the presentation, Mr. Tomiyama said, "President of Toyoda's president" 100 years since the birth of the automobile industry has passed and it is now time to change, as we faced the wave of change many times so far , I believe that it is important that cars are fun for the next 100 years ". He said that it is important not to simply become a commodity but to provide fun to the user, he concluded the story.

027_l.jpg

028_l.jpg

The message of President Akio Toyoda was introduced in English
TMG Murata suggests Le Mans participate in a GR Super Sports concept base
035_l.jpg

A question was asked from Toyota European public relations, Mr. Tomoyama, Mr. Murata, the driver answered
 After Mr. Tomoyama's speech, Mr. Hisatake Murata, President of Toyota Motorsport GmbH, Toyota Motorsport GmbH, Toyota Motor Sports Base Company in Europe, Prior to WEC participation in FEC participation) President Mr. Tomoyama Driver of the car (Mike Conway player, Kobayashi Kamui player, Jose Maria · Lopez player), driver of No. 8 (Sebastian Buemi player, Fernando Alonso player, Kazutaka Nakajima player) got on the stage and the European spokeswoman A question-and-answer session from the person was carried out.

── Mr. Tomoyama, when will you release this GR Super Sports concept?

Tomoyama: As I said in the presentation, "Near future". When it is not concrete, it is top secret (laugh).

── Mr. Murata, is there something in the car behind you that you leave Le Mans? It seems that the rules will change from 2020 ... ....

Mr. Murata: It must be talking with Mr. Tomoyama, making a sexy car like this and entering in 2020 is the best.

Tomoyama: That is a good idea (laugh). Hell is also the best place to announce such cars.

─ ─ Mr. Murata, the experience of fighting at TS050 - HYBIRD is also being utilized in the development of this car?

Mr. Murata: It is one of our dreams that by continuing the development of the racing hybrid in the racing field, feedbacking technology to such cars.

── What is your goal for tomorrow?

Murata: Of course, the top of the podium is the goal.

── How was it for Mike, qualifying?

Mike Conway: I got very traffic yesterday and I could not get clear lap. It was difficult, but it is a good thing that both cars were attached to the front row. It's a long race and I think that the conditions will change, so I think it will be a tricky race. I will do my best for Sunday.

── Jose, how about the car behind you (GR Super Sports Concept)?

Jose Maria · Lopez player: I definitely want to drive soon (laugh). Driving TS050 - HYBIRD is a very fantastic thing and it is a lot of fun. That being in Le Mans itself is very special.

── Kamui, how was the attack of yesterday?

Kobayashi Kamuhei: I was caught in traffic during qualifying. It is a good thing for Kazuki to do a very nice run and the team took 1-2. I did not win the pole position last year, so this year I thought that I could change my strategy and ranked second, even to win (laugh).

── How about the car behind (GR Super Sports Concept)?

Kobayashi Kamuhei: It's a bit different from TS050-HYBRID, but it's a very fast prototype car. Already at the research laboratory of Higashi Fuji I ran a person around 60 to 70 years old next to me, but my performance was so terrible that I was scared for a long time (laugh). But the impression I got on is very comfortable and has excellent performance. If such a high performance car runs on the public road, I think that it is really wonderful.

── Cebu, how was the qualifying yesterday?

Sebastian Buemi: I think he is having a very good weekend. Kazuki did a really nice job. However, it is still a small part, I think it is not easy to discuss the strategies etc. I want to win the race.

── Kazuki, congratulations on winning the second pole position.

Nakajima Kazuki: I got a very nice lap yesterday. It was also good for the team and I think it was very lucky. But the important thing in racing is that there is a good luck on Sunday afternoon at 3 pm, so it would be nice to have it. There are memories that I have not had good until now, but I hope that this year will be wiped out and that our time will come this time.

── Fernando, how about joining our team from this season?

Fernando Alonso: It is a very good start and I am enjoying it very much. I have confirmed that it is competitive in the tests during the winter as well as in the races. I want to win at all races from now on, I can win even at the spa and I want to make a great race. And if possible, I want the same question on Sunday afternoon (laugh).

037_s.jpg

038_s.jpg

039_s.jpg

ACO CEO Pierre Fillon also rushed to the TOYOTA GAZOO Racing press conference, shook hands firm with Mr. Tomoyama
Sponsored