Toyota GR Super Sport Concept

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
https://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1128017.html

【Le Mans 24 Hours 2018】 Toyota Vice President Tomoyama, "I wrote the President five A4 reprints, so I ceased to be stopped"
Mr. Murata and Mr. Kitazawa tell the thought of Le Mans 24 Hr Victory & GR Super Sports Marketing

TOYOTA GAZOO Racing "GR Super Sports Concept" released in Europe at a press conference
 TOYOTA GAZOO Racing held a press conference at the Salto Circuit in Le Mans, France where the "86th Le Mans 24 Hour Race" is held on June 15 (local time). At this news conference, we released the "GR Super Sports Concept", which was premiered worldwide at the Tokyo Auto Salon in January for the first time in Europe.

Mr. Shigeki Tomiyama, President of Toyota Motor Corporation and President of Toyota Motor Corporation and President GAZOO Racing Company, promised to market the GR Super Sports commercialization to the world with Le Mans. The pattern is as reported by related articles ( vice president Tomoyama, GR Super Sports concept marketed as "near future" ). In this article, we will deliver a briefing on the briefing held after the press conference.

In addition to Mr. Tomoyama, Mr. Hisatake Murata, president of TMG (Toyota Motorsport GmbH), Mr. Hiroshu Kitazawa, manager of Toyota Motor GR Marketing Department, also attended this briefing session. Mr. Murata talked about development, Mr. Kitazawa said about sales etc.

── We announced the GR super sports concept at a press conference at TOYOTA GAZOO Racing, but how long ago did the plan of the GR super sports concept begin?

Mr. Tomoyama: The project itself of the GR Super Sports Concept has been around for about a year and a half. I made a GR brand at GAZOO Racing. The bottom is the complete model, the center is Supra, platform dedicated to sports. On the top of that, I have developed a marketing plan about a year and a half ago that I want to drive a GAZOO Racing brand, I do not want super sports.

What kind of car will be the super sports? There are Porsche 911, Lamborghini, Ferrari, for example, but it seems a bit different even if Toyota enters there. When trying to make something unique to us, we may be running a racing machine at WEC (World Endurance Championship). Instead of making sports cars from standard cars, it might be possible to make road going cars from racing cars. Standards are getting harder and gradually.

Actually, I also started riding the TS 050 and gradually became more confident and they started (seeing Mr. Murata's) when saying "let's do".

I do not know why, but when I say "Let's do" various things came out soon. I can do it, suddenly the test car came out. Perhaps I think I started doing things without permission. Mr. Murata.

Mr. Murata: I do not know how far to tell ... .... Because when I was a GR company, I was also concurrently headquartered. I have been keeping racing for WEC all the time, and with the fans. A few years ago I got questions from fans. "I understand that Hybrid is friendly to the Earth like the Prius, but it is easy to understand economically, but as long as you keep WEC and seeing the WEC's car, you can also make a wallet-friendly, earth-friendly car Shin: Then, when you receive the question "When can you buy when you become available?" When we receive the question that we can ride, the final goal for Toyota to race again is to shape the skills honed in the race It is very important to say that it is the thing that can be delivered to the customer, so the purpose of the President of the GR Company created by the GR Company is exactly that direction. In a secret way with Mr. Tomoyama (lol), in autumn I got Mr. Tomoyama, "Here is a good thing" and it is the flow that leads to now.

006_l.jpg

Mr. Hisatake Murata, President of TMG (Toyota Motorsport GmbH)

── When did you start making shapes actually?

Mr. Murata: (2017) In autumn, I was the director of the head office in April and I had Mr. Tomoyama ride. It is about half a year.

── What is the link with the 2020 prescription Hyper Car GT announced today by ACO?

Mr. Murata: I have not been in April.

Mr. Tomoyama: I have not done it at all.

─ ─ So, did you agree well?

Mr. Tomoyama: When that (GR Super Sports Concept) project started, the information that Porsche is leaving WEC came in and it was quite a matter to discuss whether or not to continue participating in Toyota even inside the company . I was pretty annoyed.

Again, one will spread hybrid technology as a field. Certainly the technology has been transferred from that (Le Mans participation vehicle) to Prius or something, but as the GR Super Sports project has started, we have to drop technology at one higher level again . I decided to continue participating, including such things. As we can say that such a category (Hyper Car GT Prototype 2020) has been created, there is a possibility to bring GR Super Sports there, so it is very welcome.

However, it was not something (ACO). At that time we never knew (Porsche withdrawal).

Mr. Murata: It was not officially decided that Porsche will withdraw when they start work. There was no talk of what the future categories will be like. However, they were proceeding in such a way that they had to do such a thing (GR Super Sports Concept) in order to make a brand called GR. Later, that has come about.

── When asked about ACO 's press conference, he said that he got along well? Somewhat like to agree under the water ... ....

Mr. Tomoyama: It's really surprisingly crowded. When Mr. Tomoyama (Mr. Murata) said that (Mr. Tomoyama will allow us to participate) at the presentation at the (TOYOTA GAZOO Racing Press Conference) a while ago, ACO CEO Pierre Fillon got a great eye Look at it. When I said, I was delighted (Mr. Fillon) tremendously. "Thank you, thank you" when I told you to take a picture together (in a photo session).

I think that Toyota got angry, I knew at that time (TOYOTA GAZOO Racing press conference) I knew.

── Does that mean Toyota will participate in the new provision Hyper Car GT Prototype from 2020?

Mr. Tomoyama: Because the new provision itself is still ambiguous. Just as I saw what I saw right now, there is an image that matches the road going car that comes out from TS 050 - HYBRID, so we are very welcome.

── At the press conference, there was another story about fuel cell, FCV from 2024. As for Toyota already having FCV "MIRAI", is there anything that you want to consider?

Mr. Tomoyama: Because I do not understand the image that I'm pretty sure that I will give out a 24-hour race at 300 km / h with a hydrogen car. For example, I do not know where to place the dispenser. However, I think that it is worth considering.

── With the announcement of ACO, the provisions of 2020 ceased, hydrogen in 2024 was also hooked. Were you under the initiative of regulation?

Mr. Tomoyama: There is nothing around that.

──What will I change the way to ask questions, did not we have any discussion about future series?

Mr. Tomoyama: We have been doing WEC for 6 years, and there is a race called Le Man in that. What is Le Mans like? Toyota has appeared in 19 times Man. I have never won.

Among them, Le Mans continued 86 times. In Europe of the birthplace of the car, there is a car culture called Le Mans, and various manufacturers inherited it. Honestly, I came 19 times and I think that it was quite difficult for Japanese manufacturers to be welcomed among them.

That ended, in one of three minutes in 2016, Ikigo stopped, at that time Porsche told us that this race winner is Toyota, not ours. In a sense, the European media also very praise me. I wonder if it is about that time, I wonder if I join a little. I wonder if it was acknowledged properly as a rival. It's not only fast.

It is very important to inherit cultures, what happens to Le Mans if Audi ceases to exist, Porsche is gone, and here is also gone? I thought of that. Although we decided to inherit it among them, though. Naturally, the organizer of Le Mans thinks that our intention was understood. I think that they are not bargaining never and that each other understands each other and respects each other and thinks that WEC is making a form that makes Le Mans excitement as a matter of course.

Mr. Murata: I joined the company in the 1980s. Where I did Le Mans for the first time at that time, the regulation came to somewhere, it was notified suddenly, it was the style of the Japanese makers going out and running.

When making this hybrid category, I became a member of ACO in 2009, at that time it was a story "Who are you?" However, it has been 6 years since I came to it, and when ACO 's people are in trouble, the relationship of doing various conversations is coming completely and the regulation of ACO or FIA, this year That's the same as the table, but as we are also joining the table every year we will build it every year, so I wonder if we can build trust and a good relationship in that sense.

However, European people are not sweet enough that one manufacturer can do what it wants to do and feeling. I think I can understand it even if I see the table of BOT now. We are now doing Dutch roll with it. It is not that sweet, but it is a fact that we are building a tremendously good relationship.

── At present, how many manufacturers agree with the 2020 regulation?

Mr. Murata: If you read a magazine, you are five companies (laugh).

── Any magazine (haha).

Mr. Murata: I do not know (laugh). I thought that it was.

Mr. Kitazawa: I think that this race will be more attractive indeed if various manufacturers compete with each other. In that sense fans will also increase and I hope.

007_l.jpg

Toyota Motor Corporation GR Marketing Department manager Mr. Hiroshi Kitazawa

─ ─ GR Super Sports is an understanding of the car that put TS 050 - HYBRID in a commercial car, but the next regulation changes a bit. Then, do you fit the car there? Or does GR Super Sports carry over the current TS050-HYBRID by carry-over?
Sponsored

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
Mr. Murata: Mr. ~. I'm not quite sure how far I can talk with top secret (laugh). Today, the framework the people of ACO were saying is not TS050 - HYBRID itself. Mr. Tomiyama said from a little while ago that it is whether it is a full four-wheel drive system or a combination of engine, motor and brake combined with their own polished technology, I would definitely want to put it in a commercial car is.

Whether it will be exactly the same, well .... I think that it is crisp, but it is not.

─ ─ If GR Super Sports seems to be in line with the 2020 regulation and you race with that, do you mean to sell by 2020? If it sells, is it a billion yen level, or is it tens of millions of yen level?

Mr. Kitazawa: I am not sure yet including the price, but what I announced today is also a hyper car, and how much hyper car I say to the world ... I think that level, so I think about that kind of place I will.

── Can GR Super Sports be purchased by the general public? Or are you the only one with a special race license?

Mr. Kitazawa: If you are speaking in this way, it will be for the general public.

── For example, there is a selling method called a race car ahead of commercial vehicles.

Mr. Kitazawa: Now, we think that it is unilateral to let the GR Company deliver competition vehicles first, make it a road going car and deliver it to customers. So, I am thinking about that form.

── When the GR Super Sports concept was unveiled at the Tokyo Auto Salon in January, Mr. Tomoyama said that it is the first time to sell "the seller!"

Mr. Tomoyama: Yes, that is the first voice as an official remark.

── At today's announcement, GR Supra was also exhibited. I think that this will be made as GTE regulation ... ... Is there plan to actually make it as GTE?

Mr. Tomoyama: Supra is now focusing quite a bit on where to get a commercial car. In the spring of next year (2019), I will go out globally. There is quality handling there, like the racing cars quite easily in various parts, the honest hand is not turning. After all, I do not know if it is LMGTE or GT4, but I would like to consider seriously about that part.

─ ─ You are not GT 3? I dared to say GT 4 now.

Mr. Tomoyama: Oh, is that so? (Laugh). I would like to think about all the standards (laugh).

Mr. Kitazawa: GT 4 is spreading very widely in various ways.

005_l.jpg

── Given at GTE, but you car looks very compact. Although it seems that the wheelbase seems to be short as we consider Le Mans.

Mr. Tomoyama: There is not such a thing.

Mr. Murata: It is the state that we are not doing it now while planning perfectly there. Since Mr. Tomoyama became President, my thoughts are thrown as "Van !!", and we are working hard in that thought (laugh).

To be honest, it is not decided so perfectly. But, if you are running alongside a shared decision that we are going over there.

─ ─ So, (GR super sports is) manifestation of intention.

Mr. Murata: What Mr. Tomoyama said, what we were doing behind the scenes is steadily driving forward. This is the atmosphere of the current GR company itself. First of all, from thought.

─ ─ TRD, there is also GR company. What is the GR company looking at from Toyota? Is it okay for the GR Company to keep pushing forward?

Mr. Tomoyama: When you go from TRD first, we will become a parts supplier from our perspective. It becomes a parts company. The car itself is made as a customized car. For example, the spot welding point of the YRIS GRMN of the GR company is different from the production line. Although it is also GR86. Even with a perfectly completed car, it becomes a complete car that the manufacturer makes.

When I start having a dedicated platform this time, Toyota Motor is doing this from the design stage.

I am doing various approaches. Toyota also has various schools. There are people who are conservative, and there are people who are radical. Sometimes I have many cooperation from the beginning, I raise something and get media support first and then gather resources. I am doing that kind of thing.

I am a vice president of Toyota Motor Corporation now, but I am doing a pre-duty of the GR Company. I think that it is the most merit that Decision Making can be done on site. Although the GR Company has not been given satisfactory resources at the site, I think that it is the only vehicle company that is going to make decision making steadily and bringing the main body later.

For example, it is budget adjustment or personnel. You are fighting, are not you?

However, although it seems to be repeated many times, since the GR Super Sports concept is on the rail, it surely comes out.

── Today, ACO had an e sports announcement. There is a detailed announcement at Silverstone, the first game of e sports comes from Fuji of WEC. When it comes from Fuji, does Toyota obviously have participation in some form or something?

Kitazawa: I still do not understand well. However, I think that we are interested in e-sports itself, or will be more excited from now. I am thinking about how to involve including the GR Supra that was exhibited at the venue. As a position as chairman of the Automobile Manufacturers Association, Toyoda also touched on e Sports (Editor's note: "I want to organize e sports at the 2019 Tokyo Motor Show").

── There is an announcement of the new regulation of 2020 as ACO, is that content desirable as Toyota? Also, there was an announcement that the cost would be 1/4 of LMP 1, is that a realistic figure?

Mr. Murata: For example, Mr. Porsche withdrew, or Audi once withdrew, but anyway it is impossible to last long to put money in like a hot water and play gachinko, as from Formula 1 Everyone's common recognition until the bottom. However, because motor sports is indispensable for cars or the world, there are various kinds of discussions on how we can keep going on continuously. I think that he is on the tide.

Mr. Tomiyama mentioned earlier, too, Toyota will continue to make it with the GR Company, will continue to do various activities from now on. We will continue to cooperate with ACO and FIA policy on that activity.

We can not, we can not, we just have to cooperate as much as we can in that direction, as Mr. Tomoyama comes to the GR Company and says "do it".

As a manufacturer, I think that the part of how to connect race activities and actual cars is very important as marketing. How is the new regulation compared with the current LMP 1 from the manufacturer's marketing perspective?

Mr. Kitazawa: I think that it is very interesting, and from the marketing side I should be able to lose more.

Mr. Murata: I'm putting pressure on me (laugh).

Mr. Tomoyama: You probably think that not only Toyota, but other manufacturers want such a direction, right? After all, the department that is doing motor sports is said to be a cost center. That is not a cost center, it is also necessary to make a car and earn profits, and also because it leads to marketing that raises all brands. It is very grateful for us that something with a silhouette still appears.

─ ─ It 's one more time about cost. Does the cost reference become Toyota? It is called 1/4.

Mr. Murata: I think basically it is a policy. Because I think that it is definition of budget, it is impossible to calculate absolutely when you start a concrete talk about how to define the wind tunnel, whether to put people in the indirect department or not. That is a manifestation of intention. I do not spend so much money. Instead, I think that we will fix the specifications for years, year by year.

Today, the WEC person said, "I have to fix regulation towards November" "It's awesome hard work," though. It is not decided too much detail. That's why I raise it and think that it is a ball called "do yourself, cooperate in 2020." So, I was called and sat down at ACO 's press conference.

To Mr. Tomoyama. Please tell me your thoughts on Le Mans this time.

Mr. Tomoyama: In a way meaningful in a sense last year, brought the president Toyoda. I will raise it on the podium. So, I returned to the origin once. There were various problems. TMC (Toyota Motor Corporation) is developing units, TMG is making racing operations and machines. There is another conflict there.

"TMC is bad," "TMG is bad" and it began.

So, although there was a technology to make a fast car out there, since the reliability and reliability of the operation that Le Mans run 24 hours a day is not only for the car. I truly regretted, including the reliability of the team.

So write the reflection letter to the president and do what you are going to do from now on. True, it seemed to be stopped there.

At the time, Murata was the top of Higashi Fuji (research institute). Without being in discussion with Higashi Fuji and Germany, the top of Higashi Fuji became the top of TMG, and Murata's most trustworthy subordinate, Kojima was set there there (Higashifuji Institute) . Also, in order to raise the reliability of the team, team management, engineer, mechanic and driver's reliability and confidence must rise.

This time, I practiced practicing how to solve what happens if by any chance, I have done the training all the time. By that, even Kamui said that he knew the engineer well. He said that he knew mechanics and cars well. The engineers also said that they knew well what the driver was suffering from. After all, at Le Mans this year, I would like to show you the team and the cars that we became strong in that way.

I would like to win. Whether you can win is a race, so no one knows that. However, I think that it would be good if you could show such teams and machines to everyone.

According to Mr. Tomoyama, the A4's five reflections are reported in detail about the defeat of Le Mans in 2017. With such submission of reflections, Le Mans and WEC continued to participate in the WEC in 2018 as well. At the end of 6 hours, Toyota's two are fighting top.

Mr. Murata who has been responsible for the development of TS050-HYBRID moved to TMG and has been making a winning position but Toyota said that the race is a bit in the way as Mr. Tomoyama says, "However, GR Super Sports As the concept rides on the rail, it surely comes out "and if the road direct going car directly under the TS 050 - HYBRID appeared in the world, and looked at the regulation of 2020, in 2019 It is expected to be commercially available.

First of all, expecting the victory of Toyota in 2018, I would like to look forward to the appearance of GR Super Sports, direct line of Le Mans.

Novice_Mentality

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Subaru WRX STI, 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2015 Ducati 899 Panigale
Okay, so I'm not sure if I'm getting all this information correctly, if someone could help correct me that would be greatly appreciated lol.

So this is a sports car concept that Toyota is making into a production car? A supercar from Toyota/Gazoo? Something like a Ford GT?

If so, time to start buying some lottery tickets boys hahaha

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
Yes, they´re planning on this new supercar, which would also be the base of the new LeMans 24h racer, as proposed on the new ACO rules for 2020 which replaces current "prototypes" for "supercars". Imagine AMG One, McLaren P1, Toyota SuperSport, Aston Martin Valkyrie, plus the VAG boys, all racing together. One can only dream.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Okay, so I'm not sure if I'm getting all this information correctly, if someone could help correct me that would be greatly appreciated lol.

So this is a sports car concept that Toyota is making into a production car? A supercar from Toyota/Gazoo? Something like a Ford GT?

If so, time to start buying some lottery tickets boys hahaha
yes..sadly, unlike the Supra, this is their true Toyota only project.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
might want to make a mental bookmark of that 2.4L V6 as it is related to some other things happening :)

Are you sure? Toyota has built 4 V6 engines in its history: VZ, MZ, the GR that replaced them, and now in the LS 500 the V35A. What all these engines have in common is that they are all 60°. Unlike Honda that had V6 engine in production cars with different angles, Toyota only used the 60° angle for its production V6 engines.

The 2.4l V6 from the Toyota TS050 Hybrid has a 90° angle. Will Toyota make a production car with 90° V6?

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ perhaps for the production version of this thing along with a production ready hybrid system

toyota-gr-super-sports-10.jpg

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
yes..sadly, unlike the Supra, this is their true Toyota only project.

You never know... some of that tech could be passed down to a later Supra model. One can still dream!

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
I think i found the GTR hunter...hint: it isn't the Supra
PicsArt_03-08-03.02.09.png

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^^ Bruh wtf this thing is fighting the Mercedes-AMG One, Aston-Martin Valkryie, McLaren Speedtail and others. Not a weak-ass GTR.
The R36 will use the LMGTR V6, so it could be in the mix as well, it might also have some Formula E inspired tech, too

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)