Toyota News Thread

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I just don't think an all-electric future is it.
I'm pretty sure it will be, in a while, for a while, but it's all conjecture. None of us know shit.

Big Corporation™ (any industry really) can force a hand with BigCorporationVertical™. It currently seems that since BigCar and US Gov't are in bed together, and this is the narrative that is being pushed, it's what we're going to get.

I think that electric cars and their infrastructure are possible, but battery tech moves super slowly. It always has. I would not be surprised if my grandchildren to grow up in a world with mostly electric cars.
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
8977B4FA-DABE-405F-BB43-2FFC28B71CBA.jpeg

CE515715-6DEE-4EAB-A538-DCE003F1C079.jpeg

How we be rolling in SWFL now post hurricane 🌀 Ian…

In all honesty, I haven’t seen a single electric car in about a week. All my friends that have Teslas (best EV imo) are just sitting parked. It really pays to have a backup plan. Hence I fully agree with Akio Toyoda and give him credit for having the balls to speak honestly and realistically about the subject.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
8977B4FA-DABE-405F-BB43-2FFC28B71CBA.jpeg

CE515715-6DEE-4EAB-A538-DCE003F1C079.jpeg

How we be rolling in SWFL now post hurricane 🌀 Ian…

In all honesty, I haven’t seen a single electric car in about a week. All my friends that have Teslas (best EV imo) are just sitting parked. It really pays to have a backup plan. Hence I fully agree with Akio Toyoda and give him credit for having the balls to speak honestly and realistically about the subject.
I'd hope that people know my thoughts on these things by now, because I talk about them often, but. Yes, EV cars are currently inefficient, but you can pretty fully charge an EV (200-300 miles) with a couple of gallons of gas in these situations.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Interesting. Toyota being extremely cagey as usual. If not for the few things we do know that are at the R&D stage this would be unsettling news, but since we do I'm not all that concerned.

The Supra MKV was always going to end production after model year 2026. The GR Corolla and GR Yaris both exist on product generation cycles within the regular Corolla and Yaris model range and that leaves the new GR86/BRZ to go for as long as they're possible to sell.

Although I do wish the official word were something more along the lines of: "The model range is complete and we have nothing additional planned at this time... but the GR story will always continue!"

https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyota-gr-performance-car-range-complete/

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
If not for the few things we do know that are at the R&D stage this would be unsettling news, but since we do I'm not all that concerned.
What do you mean? I think the stance Toyota have expressed makes perfect sense. Are you dreaming of a Supra GRMN? That'll be Japan only, IF it happens. And even then I suspect it will just be a retuned B58.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What do you mean? I think the stance Toyota have expressed makes perfect sense. Are you dreaming of a Supra GRMN? That'll be Japan only, IF it happens. And even then I suspect it will just be a retuned B58.
I'm not talking about a Supra GRMN although that will happen as it's in the product roadmap for the MKV. Whether it's Japan only or not remains to be seen.

I'm referring to the R&D already being done with the architecture being developed from the GR Super Sport Concept that won't come around while the Supra MKV is still in production, the 2026+ GR Celica EV coupe with dual electric motors that the Mazda RX will also share a platform with and whatever else Toyota has in store for their in-house G16E-GTS turbo engine with its 6-speed M/T, upcoming 8-speed A/T and the GR-Four AWD system.

Regarding the latter, Toyota wasn't going to spend all the time and money to develop that engine, all wheel drive system and both a manual and performance automatic gearbox only to use all of it in just two models.

The MR2 rumors have been too all over the place to feel that solid about yet but at least in theory the G16E engine and the two transmission options would make for a perfect fit in such a vehicle. Similarly if you're familiar with the Toyota Caldina wagons that used to be available in Japan which came in a top range trim level with last generation 260hp 3S-GTE 2.0L turbo engines, automatics and AWD... such a model would already have all the drivetrain R&D completed IF Toyota wanted to make a new one for a few years.

There is no current news or rumor about an MR2 or new Caldina wagon... I'm just offering those up as the two most obvious potential models that Toyota *could* do something with if they wanted to and I'm just saying that there is no way that Toyota is going to use their G16E-GTS engine system, the GR-Four AWD system and the two transmissions developed for both in ONLY two models before shelving all of that hardware for good. They WILL find additional uses for all that hardware to further spread the costs around.

Aside from core GR models there is also apparently a Toyota Crown two door coupe that will make it to both Japan and the U.S. but there's little info than that for now. Still, it's something additionally interesting (hopefully).

If we've learned anything from Toyota's cageyness in the last few years it is to read between the lines and take what is stated with a grain of salt. They have four active GR core models to sell right now and they want us to focus on those only.

Unless Akio Toyoda is suddenly no longer CEO of the company there is no way the GR division won't eventually introduce future models. I just don't expect any totally new GR core model being added to the lineup anytime soon.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
No More Toyota GR Sports Cars Are Coming Anytime Soon: Report
In case you need it spelled out, that likely means no new Toyota MR2.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/no-more-toyota-gr-sports-cars-are-coming-any-time-soon-report

After laying dormant for decades, fast Toyotas have come roaring back with the rapid-fire launch of the GR Supra, redesigned GR86, and GR Corolla, with rumors of a new mid-engined sports car hot on their tail. It's time to temper our expectations though, as the GR86's chief engineer recently said that no new GR cars are in the pipeline.
Speaking to Australia's Drive (unaffiliated), Toyota GR86 chief engineer Yasunori Suezawa stated that Toyota's GR performance car lineup is pretty much complete. Specifically regarding more GR cars, he reportedly said, "there is none left actually, so this [new GR86] is the last."
"For the GR [brand], basically this [new GR86] is the last. But we have a GR Sport [brand] that we will be [widening] with models like the Corolla, Yaris Cross, and C-HR," Suezawa added.

Suezawa reportedly didn't specify if that meant the GR lineup is complete for now or if this is all we can ever expect, and Toyota's past statements on the matter don't make things any clearer. The Supra's lead engineer Tetsuya Tada called for the return of a "three brothers" sports car lineup, though Toyota has refused to discuss whether the GR Corolla and Yaris occupy the spot once thought to be reserved for the mid-engined MR2. A rumor out of Japan indicates a mid-engined, GR Yaris platform-based model is indeed in development, but Tada has stated there's no room below the GR86 for a cheaper sports car.
What we can be sure of is that we'll see more GR Sport trims; effectively appearance packages with some minor suspension tweaks. They reportedly won't be found on any SUVs according to previous statements from executives, though GR Sport crossovers may still be in the cards. The C-HR's inclusion above confirms that.
But with GR hype at its highest, Toyota's absolutely dropping the ball. If GR is allowed to sit on the shelf for too long, or devalued with too many GR Sport models, the name will return to whence it came—irrelevance.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
I think Akio wants to focus on the current lineup right now, as thinking about a GR MR2 and future models would be too much on his plate

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota officials also once famously said that there would be no manual transmission for the Supra MKV... when now we learn that development work on that option and revision and revision to the model range began as early as 2019 as a way to stage regular updates to the car over its time in production to always keep it fresh.

I feel the same strategy is at play in these comments about there being no new GR models with the GR model range currently being complete.

This makes sense if you think about it:

The Supra MKV has JUST received a manual option and will be in production through model year 2026.

The GR86 was only release less than a year ago and is going to have several more years in production.

Then the GR Yaris and not even on sale yet GR Corolla will be in production for as long as the current regular Yaris and Corolla models remain in production on their regular assembly lines.

They all hit tiered price points of increasingly expensive performance while each offering a totally different experience than the other... yet an MR2 would fall somewhere below a Supra but perhaps above or at the level of a GR86. Even if they do come through with one it will not be until one or more of these three cars end production in a few years that they might.

Japan and other markets that get the GR Yaris have yet one more in the range as a legitimate competition rally car for the street.

It's already a situation where if money were no object many a Toyota fan might want one of each major GR model in their driveway... which is not practical or possible for most people. But all four cars are highly desired by enthusiasts.

Also GR has some challenges ahead to develop hybrid-electric and EV implementations that aren't just good like regular cars are... but which are tough, fast, truly engaging and FUN. And then there's also Toyota's experimentation with hydrogen and synthetic combustible liquid fuels.

By the middle of 2025 at least I expect that we will already have been talking about GR's new model possibilities on the horizon.

But before that I do think we'll see at least one more big addition to the Supra range in a GRMN trim, a GR Yaris GRMN and maybe another special trim of the GR Corolla before production ends. And as for the GR86... it's such a no-brainer for Toyota to offer a track trim level with the parts bin Brembo brakes front and rear and Bilstein shocks just as the earlier BRZ's got if they only would.

Right now Toyota likely does not see any need to add anything else to the lineup and won't talk about whatever else they have planned in secret for later. They want us to focus on what they have on sale right now.

Last edited:

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyot...ists-says-no-motorists-should-be-left-behind/

https://www.motor1.com/news/616950/toyota-gr-electrified-ruled-out/

From Motor1:

Much like BMW, Toyota has been quite vocal about how the combustion engine's demise shouldn't be rushed on the road to carbon neutrality. It believes there must be a mix of powertrains to allow people to decide what's best for their needs, especially since the EV charging infrastructure is still underdeveloped in many parts of the world. More electric cars are coming, but the Japanese automaker is not giving up on the ICE just yet.

In an interview with Australian magazine Drive.com.au, the local man in charge of sales and marketing spoke about the road to electrification during a roundtable with journalists at the Corolla Cross Hybrid's launch event. Sean Hanley said Toyota is "not opposed to battery-electric vehicles," but a diversity of products is the right way to go in the foreseeable future. He was referring to hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and fuel-cell hydrogen models. All vehicles will be electrified to some extent by the end of the decade but with one exception – Gazoo Racing models.

Indeed, Hanley said that "by 2030 every Toyota in our range, apart from GR performance cars, will have some form of electrification." The statement comes only a couple of weeks after GR86 chief engineer said there aren't going to be additional GR models beyond the Yaris, Corolla, 86, and Supra. Will all of them continue for the next seven years? Hopefully.

Toyota knows its audience and sticking to ICE-only powertrains will appeal to enthusiasts looking to buy a performance vehicle. Speaking of which, the six-cylinder GR Corolla Supra finally got the manual gearbox it deserved while the GR Yaris pocket rocket will inherit the potent engine from the GR Corolla Morizo Edition.

There is one piece of the GR puzzle we're missing – Whatever happened to the GR Super Sport? The last time we heard – which was in September 2021 – the hypercar was a concept and Toyota was studying the "potential commercialization." Considering what the GR86's chief engineer just said about limiting the GR range to four models, we wouldn't get our hopes up too high...

Source: Drive.com.au

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Be interesting to see the strategic outlook change with this new leadership. What will he see as the way ahead for Toyota and sportscars.

Toyota CEO and President Akio Toyoda to step down
Published Thu, Jan 26 20232:31 AM ESTUpdated 15 Min Ago
Ruxandra Iordache
Key Points
  • Toyota CEO and President Akio Toyoda, 66, will step down from his post on April 1, the automaker said today.
  • He will be replaced as chief executive by current Chief Branding Officer Koji Sato.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/26/toyota-ceo-and-president-akio-toyoda-to-step-down-.html

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra