Toyota News Thread

Livedevil

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 LT1 Camaro, 2006 Sti
cant remember where but i read a story that said back when a tsunami hit one of the chip makers factory Toyota sent them help to rebuild, it seems they are putting Toyota first now.
Sponsored

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Yeah, I keep reading stories like this about Toyota being preparedā€¦..yet their lots are as empty as everyone else. Not buying it.

roadtripper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I saw a video from one of the news agencies. Toyota started a thing called just in time inventory. The idea was to have no extra parts on hand to avoid paying money for inventory sitting around. Most big companies around the world followed suit. I worked for Boeing and hated the idea. The factory was always running out of parts and this caused big delays which cost big dollars! well, It seems Toyota decided just in time inventory was not working. They quietly went back to stocking parts.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Well JIT has been around for so long. With reliable supply chain it's still ideal but for certain parts. Like I believe for seats they still use JIT. But again for JIT to work properly the tier 1 at least needs to carry some inventory or OEM & tier 1 needs to be in close proximity... Etc. Etc... It's a bit transference of inventory carrying responsibilities...
VW and others are heavily utilizing large 3d printers as well to produce parts..

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Toyota Prius Persona Series
Wellā€¦ all of our local Toyota Dealers lots are nearly empty with new cars. Iā€™m talking less than 20 new cars max. Sad.
Iā€™m in San Diego and there is not a single Supra at any of the dealerships

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's because everyone be buying Toyotas right now.
Well then They should be having no problems restocking as mentioned in the storiesā€¦ā€¦.huh, but their not , just like everyone else. No stock.

Heywood220

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
13 FR-S, 22 Tundra, 93 325i
I will say this from a dealer perspective. Yes we are all out of cars. Was it because of the chip shortage, who knows, but Toyotas sales nationally are some of the best ever all time. I do know there are parts shortages all over just not for the chips. I also know Toyota expects to have a record 2nd half this year while other companies are cutting predictions. So were they prepared, I would say they are better prepared than others, but no one expected what actually happened.

Livedevil

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, I keep reading stories like this about Toyota being preparedā€¦..yet their lots are as empty as everyone else. Not buying it.
we are building more cars than ever at my plant and i hate the overtime, the reason i saw the story i was wondering why we were working overtime when everyone else was shutting down from shortages, i think why our lots are empty is because no one else has cars so we are selling more

Livedevil

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I saw a video from one of the news agencies. Toyota started a thing called just in time inventory. The idea was to have no extra parts on hand to avoid paying money for inventory sitting around. Most big companies around the world followed suit. I worked for Boeing and hated the idea. The factory was always running out of parts and this caused big delays which cost big dollars! well, It seems Toyota decided just in time inventory was not working. They quietly went back to stocking parts.
Toyota adopted "just in time" from ford iirc, i watched a video that mentioned it during my orientation at Toyota, been here nealy 25 years so i may be mis remembering

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
we are building more cars than ever at my plant and i hate the overtime, the reason i saw the story i was wondering why we were working overtime when everyone else was shutting down from shortages, i think why our lots are empty is because no one else has cars so we are selling more
I mean I guess but that would mean Toyota is selling them as fast as they hit the lotsā€¦ā€¦ at least in my area. I mean the two or three Toyota dealers are literally devoid of new cars and have been for some time.

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
We've never seen a crazy car market like this. I had an offer for my 2021 3.0 Premium for basically what I paid for it. Of course I accepted. I drove the car for almost a year at essentially no cost. I'll pickup a new model when the craziness dies down.

To replace the Supra, I've been needing a truck for sometime anyway. Dealers have nothing in stock. I went back to the dealer I purchased the Supra from, and they were happy to give me MSRP on a Tacoma coming in later this month. This market is also crazy. Used 3 to 5-year old Tacomas are selling at 80-90% of their new cost. This means leases on these cars are incredibly cheap. The lease deal I worked had an 89% residual. That's insane.

You can take advantage of this market if you're smart. YMMV.

Livedevil

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not sure whats going on but we were told like 4 weeks of no production at my plant now.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra