Toyota "Preparing" Hotter Supra GRMN, Says Chief Engineer

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
The GRMN would obviously be closer 550HP. However that rumored price tag (85K) is absolutely insane.
I still don’t think the jury is out on whether or not the GRMN Supra will be 430hp-ish like the GT4 or significantly higher than that.

However the presumed $85k MSRP for it is no big surprise. We’d been speculating on a price point right around there almost two years ago.

Also, it’s right in line with what the old MKIV TT 6-speed cost when adjusted for inflation (about $80k MSRP back in the day).
Sponsored

SupraBeast

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20?? GR Supra ??? Edition
I still don’t think the jury is out on whether or not the GRMN Supra will be 430hp-ish like the GT4 or significantly higher than that.

However the presumed $85k MSRP for it is no big surprise. We’d been speculating on a price point right around there almost two years ago.

Also, it’s right in line with what the old MKIV TT 6-speed cost when adjusted for inflation (about $80k MSRP back in the day).
The A61 is almost 400HP and costs around 57K. How can Toyota justify 85K for such a minor power difference?

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The A61 is almost 400HP and costs around 57K. How can Toyota justify 85K for such a minor power difference?
Your guess is as good as mine on that or what the actual GRMN power figure will be.

But it’s likely getting some DCT 7-speed transmission, an even more advanced rear diff, some carbon body panels, significantly lowered weight from the GRs, different suspension tuning and we know that Toyota Motorsports GMBH and GR are working on this model’s tuning in-house.

Nothing much else is known yet for sure.

SupraBeast

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20?? GR Supra ??? Edition
Your guess is as good as mine on that or what the actual GRMN power figure will be.

But it’s likely getting some DCT 7-speed transmission, an even more advanced rear diff, some carbon body panels, significantly lowered weight from the GRs, different suspension tuning and we know that Toyota Motorsports GMBH and GR are working on this model’s tuning in-house.

Nothing much else is known yet for sure.
That will be a tough sell in my opinion. Price would need to be around 65K in the current market.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^^ It had better be a regular model even if it's low volume per year (which it almost certainly will be) compared to the regular GR Supras. But not so low that every year it's utterly impossible to find one for sale. The first year will probably be sold out within hours of it officially going on sale... but after that they shouldn't make it a vehicle that you absolutely can't ever just decide you want to buy without ordering it a year or more in advance and getting onto a VERY long and frequently (and infuriatingly) bumped waiting list.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
^^ It had better be a regular model even if it's low volume per year (which it almost certainly will be) compared to the regular GR Supras. But not so low that every year it's utterly impossible to find one for sale. The first year will probably be sold out within hours of it officially going on sale... but after that they shouldn't make it a vehicle that you absolutely can't ever just decide you want to buy without ordering it a year or more in advance and getting onto a VERY long and frequently (and infuriatingly) bumped waiting list.
You are talking like Toyota frequently makes disappointing and confusing decisions from a consumer perspective. I just don’t understand why you would feel that way. I don’t understand that at all; particularly with a project as consistently well managed and loved as the new Supra. :rolleyes:

This will be a shit show. Better to acknowledge that now and be prepared than wish for what won’t happen.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I sometimes wonder if folks have anything close to an understanding of relative cost...

An RC-F Track Edition, a car that adds a few CF panels, carbon ceramic brakes, wheels, and a wing, is $97k msrp ($30k over the standard RC-F and also more money than the LC500). The 86 GRMN with a similar approach was $57k, exactly $30k over the standard 86. Starting to see a pattern here?

If you think that the GRMN Supra (which is easily beyond the two cars above), provided it makes it to production, is going to be cheaper than $85-90k, you're probably gonna have a bad time. That said, the car will be an absolute killer on track, especially for the money.

Don't like that? Neither did anyone when I told them the Supras msrp would be $55k nearly three years ago. No one is forcing you to like or buy it lol

Last edited:

Novice_Mentality

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Subaru WRX STI, 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2015 Ducati 899 Panigale
I sometimes wonder if folks have anything close to an understanding of relative cost...

An RC-F Track Edition, a car that adds a few CF panels, carbon ceramic brakes, wheels, and a wing, is $97k msrp ($30k over the standard RC-F and also more money than the LC500). The 86 GRMN with a similar approach was $57k, exactly $30k over the standard 86. Starting to see a pattern here?

If you think that the GRMN Supra (which is easily beyond the two cars above), provided it makes it to production, is going to be cheaper than $85-90k, you're probably gonna have a bad time. That said, the car will be an absolute killer on track, especially for the money.

Don't like that? Neither did anyone when I told them the Supras msrp would be $55k nearly three years ago. No one is forcing you to like or buy it lol
People with no understanding of the R&D that goes into building a brand new sports car from the chassis up: "I want a Porsche killer, with a manual, want it to look stunning and have the latest technology, but want to pay Camry money".....:crazy:

Novice_Mentality

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Subaru WRX STI, 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2015 Ducati 899 Panigale
Yeah, I mean it's expensive and tbh maybe out of reach for many, but at the same time it's just how it goes.
Agreed. When Toyota says it's building an affordable sports car, they definitely mean in relation to the money customers would be paying for competitors cars lol.

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
55k dedicated sports car is pretty affordable. This isn’t a souped Civic with a Type R badge where majority of the R&D costs were allocated to the base model.

Just look at the NSX sales to give you some perspective. They built a new factory just to build the NSX. How do you explain that to executives when you can only sell a few NSXs per month lol.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
This ad keeps popping up is and seriously throwing me off when we are talking about sports cars. Every time I see it, I think someone lost their mind.

91654BF1-6843-4CA7-A41F-AD2DA4B29418.jpeg
Sponsored