Toyota Presents World Debut of the New 2022 GR 86

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I like it a lot, but I'm holding out for a Celica GR-FOUR, and I want to see what the Integra Type S will look like, and the new STI, and and and.......

Goddammit. ?
Sponsored

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
A pretty good price overall (before dealer markup anyway...).

Adjusted for around 20-23 year inflation the GR86 is roughly $10k cheaper than a 5th gen Prelude, S14 240SX or similar car cost brand new at MSRP in the very late 1990ā€™s.

Again... accounting for inflation.

Iā€™m still waiting for the Brembo four-piston front and two-piston rear brake package.... and factory Bilstein shocks.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Euro7 emissions requirements being the roadblock in two years I could understand... but SAFETY regulations? For all its sporting character this is a very safe car. I find it difficult to see exactly what new rules as pertain to safety that the GR86 is violating. Something to do with the low hood? Side impact? The light weight and small dimensions when pitted unfairly against stupidly big SUVs and crossovers that everyone thinks they need because everyone else thinks they need them?

I consider us lucky in the U.S. This is just not right to do to EU customers.

The suggestion that the GR86 will be the "last of its kind" hints that Toyota isn't planning to introduce another non-electrified, affordable sports car in this vein. Fux said this is meant in the sense that the GR86 is ā€œa pure sports car which is really focused on performance and fun on the road".

However, he admitted that ā€œthe future vehicles will look different; they will be electrified. The concept of the development will be different, so it's representative of an era of automobile development which is coming to an endā€.
Sure, the limitations of battery pack technology will certainly make a 2,800lb short wheelbase sports car very difficult to achieve... but I hope this doesn't suggest abandoning the low to the ground coupe 2+2 RWD formula in favor of an ugly as hell tall family crossover shape.

That isn't to say the GR86 won't be indirectly replaced, especially as Toyota has invested heavily in the expansion of its dedicated Gazoo Racing performance division in recent years.

Fux confirmed to Autocar: ā€œWhen vehicles go to zero carbon emission, we donā€™t intend to stop Gazoo Racing. We intend to continue the brand.

ā€œA clear example is our two pinnacle sports cars today: the hypercar in WEC and our WRC car. Both will be hybrid cars for next season and both will be run on green fuel. So we're working on the technologies, plus we have now put the hydrogen combustion engine in the GR Yaris, so we're looking at how to keep the brand and the excitement of motorsport in the zero-emissions era.ā€
I have faith in Toyota and Gazoo Racing's dedication to keeping the GR offerings fun to drive as much as they possibly can.

However just as with wishing for the Mazda Miata to survive in some good form into the electric era it would be very much a letdown if the company and performance division don't try (and hard) to figure out a way to offer a new era hybrid or full electric 86-ish pure driver's car.

By the same token this sounds similar to the idea that the Supra should never have another generation after the MKV because it can't be "pure" enough. Rubbish. To let these special car names and identities die off and not evolve with succeeding generations is an easy way out. Waiting a few years for technology to improve (ie: mostly to keep weight down) before going to a 3rd generation GR86 is a much more acceptable course of action. Sure it would be different but if it's true to the car's identity and character it will still be some kind of fun to drive 2+2 coupe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SS09ER

SS09ER

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RS13
I think the safety rules are some sort of electronic systems that require modifications and will add weight.Euro7 coming a year later, doesn't make sense to spend so much money for safety rules when you'll not be able to meet emissions.So that is why i believe Toyota took that decision.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Closely related -https://www.autoblog.com/2022/01/20/2022-subaru-brz-orders-closed/
2022 Subaru BRZ order books are closed
Whatever dealers have on the way is it for the 2022 model year

Subaru confirmed Thursday that the sold order allotment for the 2022 BRZ has been reached, meaning customers can no longer place individual orders for the model year. Dealers still have incoming retail allocations and customers can still buy off the lot, but those who want to order one exactly how they'd like will have to wait for slots in the 2023 allocation.

According to the ft86club.com forum, some customers were told last week that they could no longer place orders for 2022 BRZs. A dealer communication indicated that hot initial demand for the updated coupe had caused a bit of a run on initial allotments, with more than 1,000 units being sold in December alone.

"Adding to this success was an exceptionally high number of sold orders, indicating demand is consuming our expected supply well into the future," the statement continued. "Sold orders have reached the point where they have nearly consumed our expected supply for the ā€™22 model year. To increase the odds that we can deliver on the orders already promised, and to reduce the odds that we do not have to cancel any orders already created, we must close Sold Orders for the ā€˜22MY BRZ."

Autoblog reached out to Subaru for confirmation this week and was told by a spokesperson that ordering has indeed closed for the model year but that retail outlets will continue to receive non-sold-order inventory.

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
Mine is in production. Mine is gonna be red
Canā€™t wait to see it and hear your impressions. You owe it to yourself to do an auto-x or two with it. Youā€™ll be amazed at how capable that platform is, and the 2.4l should make it even more fun (mine was supercharged).

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Toyota doesn't care about the Supra anymore. They are offering upgraded air cooling and roll cage from factory for the gr86