Toyota Supra spotted testing HARD on the Nürburgring - New Engine?

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
They're trying to reproduce the bumpsteer issue since consumers reported it before the engineers did. :rofl:
When my brother got his MKV, I too thought there was an issue with the steering, until I realized it was the lane assist feature that prevented you from accidentally going into other lanes haha.
Sponsored

CSUfiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS400
Now, I know that 0-60 is not everything, and in fact this is just an article with estimates, but a hypothetical 500+ HP Supra GRMN should be able to go to 60 faster than 3.5secs. With the way cars are now and knowing that this is a few years away, it should be almost a second faster than that projection, considering the power to weight of this car.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.to...e-works-but-there-s-a-catch-ar188951.amp.html

200 units, may go above 100k. Safe to say I’m not getting a GRMN
ADM is going to be through the roof for these things.

TBH, the M3/M4 is starting to grow on me, even the grille. Might as well get a real M3/M4 powered car. That Isle of Man green... :spaz:

The M3 sedan will start at $69,900 and the M3 Competition sedan will start at $72,800. The M4 coupe will start at $71,800 and the M4 Competition coupe will start at $74,700. BMW also notes that a $995 destination fee will apply to all pricing

driving-green-yellow-front-1-lead-scaled.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&fit=crop&h=800&ixlib=rb-1.1.jpg

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
When my brother got his MKV, I too thought there was an issue with the steering, until I realized it was the lane assist feature that prevented you from accidentally going into other lanes haha.
So basically... user error! :rofl:

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
ADM is going to be through the roof for these things.

TBH, the M3/M4 is starting to grow on me, even the grille. Might as well get a real M3/M4 powered car.

The M3 sedan will start at $69,900 and the M3 Competition sedan will start at $72,800. The M4 coupe will start at $71,800 and the M4 Competition coupe will start at $74,700. BMW also notes that a $995 destination fee will apply to all pricing

driving-green-yellow-front-1-lead-scaled.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&fit=crop&h=800&ixlib=rb-1.1.jpg

I agree 100%. I mentioned this earlier but it didn't get much traction but If I were in the market for an S58 powered vehicle, the GRMN makes the least amount of sense to purchase outside of the rarity factor and another reason why a low volume GRMN S58 car doesn't make any sense.

There is no reason to spend the extra $50k (plus ADM) on the theoretical S58 Supra when you can drive an M4 of the lot. Going even further, when the G87 M2 comes out for ~$60-65k (with a high output B58 or low output S58) the ~$120k S58 Supra makes even less sense.

The only way a high powered Supra makes sense is with something unique under the hood or by undercutting the M2/M3/M4 in price (which I don't see happening)

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
I agree 100%. I mentioned this earlier but it didn't get much traction but If I were in the market for an S58 powered vehicle, the GRMN makes the least amount of sense to purchase outside of the rarity factor and another reason why a low volume GRMN S58 car doesn't make any sense.

There is no reason to spend the extra $50k (plus ADM) on the theoretical S58 Supra when you can drive an M4 of the lot. Going even further, when the G87 M2 comes out for ~$60-65k (with a high output B58 or low output S58) the ~$120k S58 Supra makes even less sense.

The only way a high powered Supra makes sense is with something unique under the hood or by undercutting the M2/M3/M4 in price (which I don't see happening)
Curb weight difference between the two vehicles will be a huge factor and selling point (2021 M3 is estimated to be in the 3850-3900 lb curb weight range while the GRMN Supra will likely shed 100-150 lbs off the regular Supra's 3350-3400 lb curb weight with the use of carbon fiber panels and other go-fast lightweight parts).

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Curb weight difference between the two vehicles will be a huge factor and selling point (2021 M3 is estimated to be in the 3850-3900 lb curb weight range while the GRMN Supra will likely shed 100-150 lbs off the regular Supra's 3350-3400 lb curb weight with the use of carbon fiber panels).
I agree the M3/M4 will be vastly different than a potential S58 Supra due to the weight. But not so much with the G87 M2 which is essentially G29 with a backseat according to BMW insiders. This means the M2 will weigh a tad more than the Supra but not enough more to justify the additional ~$55k-60K IMO

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Curb weight difference between the two vehicles will be a huge factor and selling point (2021 M3 is estimated to be in the 3850-3900 lb curb weight range while the GRMN Supra will likely shed 100-150 lbs off the regular Supra's 3350-3400 lb curb weight with the use of carbon fiber panels and other go-fast lightweight parts).
I just don't see that happening. Toyota getting an S58 2 yrs later (which would have most production issues fixed), get more CF, become a CSL and with a higher MSRP then the M3/M4 Competition. Please timestamp this and prove me wrong in 2023 because I just don't see BMW ever allowing this to happen and letting Toyota steal it's thunder.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
I just don't see that happening. Toyota getting an S58 2 yrs later (which would have most production issues fixed), get more CF, become a CSL and with a higher MSRP then the M3/M4 Competition. Please timestamp this and prove me wrong in 2023 because I just don't see BMW ever allowing this to happen and letting Toyota steal it's thunder.
I think this as well. I don't think that the Supra GRMN is coming next year or the year after. Something tells me that this is going to be a CY2024/2025 car and the A90 Supra generation will go out with a bang for the last 2 years of production. At least that's a 2 year gap in between the M3/M4 being released and the Supra GRMN being released.

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
Now, I know that 0-60 is not everything, and in fact this is just an article with estimates, but a hypothetical 500+ HP Supra GRMN should be able to go to 60 faster than 3.5secs. With the way cars are now and knowing that this is a few years away, it should be almost a second faster than that projection, considering the power to weight of this car.
Not sure Toyota are chasing numbers with the Supra but seeing this black model with two helmut wearing test drivers on Nurburgring says that they are definitely testing something.

The s58 is nice but will be limited to Japan only or limited amounts as BMW will not allow continued production of its twin turbo in line 6. It may also feature the revered manual option as a comparison to the new porsche gt4 rs. It may also have cup 2s but I see this model about 2 years away - MY23 at the earliest and in very limited production numbers.

What has me curious is what are they testing with this footage (new turbo?) and if USA has already the my21 then is this my22 in test?

No idea ...

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I think this as well. I don't think that the Supra GRMN is coming next year or the year after. Something tells me that this is going to be a CY2024/2025 car and the A90 Supra generation will go out with a bang for the last 2 years of production. At least that's a 2 year gap in between the M3/M4 being released and the Supra GRMN being released.
I’d argue that that scenario is even less likely since it lines up with the M2 release which will be essentially be a 2+2 Supra according to insiders.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I agree.

The article rumored a 2025 final year and to go out with a bang with a one MY GRMN version doesn't sound like a smart decision. I could see a Supra GRMN having an updated B58 engine, bigger turbo, more power, more aero, more CF and a premium price hike. I don't see a M4 Comp version at all. Toyota doesn't have the balls to go that big.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
I agree.

The article rumored a 2025 final year and to go out with a bang with a one MY GRMN version doesn't sound like a smart decision. I could see a Supra GRMN having an updated B58 engine, bigger turbo, more power, more aero, more CF and a premium price hike. I don't see a M4 Comp version at all. Toyota doesn't have the balls to go that big.
Should I bookmark this to see if Toyota proves you wrong in the future?