Trading M2 for Supra

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
new m2 cs is 72,000 gbp so 100,00 usd lol supra you can get for 52,000. used car market is very different here as well, in US it seems your cars keep their value more.
not to mention markup, i saw a M2 CS priced at 150k USD lol. No thanks i'll buy a GT3 RS instead for that money lol.
Sponsored

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Thanks for the reply, Iā€™ve had a look through your thread btw. How do you find the seating position? My M2 feels kinda high and Iā€™ve seen one review saying something similar about the supra. Iā€™m 6ft2 and mostly torso so getting low in the cabin is something Iā€™m looking for, especially so thereā€™s room to wear a helmet. I have a test drive next week but itā€™s nice to have an idea of what to expect.

Also, is the rear differential limited slip or open? Iā€™ve read info on the diff stating open but electronically controlled. How does it feel? My old m240i was a nightmare with its open diff.

Iā€™m
6ā€™2. Alsoā€”- Track several times a month. You are plenty low and plenty of room for a helmet

Go to whatever regional group below and I am sure someone would let you check theirā€™s out.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M2c
A big factor is value, so for the American folk here the comparison between supra and m2 is different to us as they get the supra much cheaper - relatively speaking.

what you read about consumption happens in 2021 models which in UK we don't have, we only have the original engine.
Yes your right, my M2 had a big discount which makes the supra more expensive. Iā€™m worried the values of the supras will plummet as there seems to be a lot for sale and none are moving.

Do you have any info on the ECUā€™s for the UK? My 2020 M2 Ecu can be bench unlocked but Iā€™m guessing the more recent Supra stuff canā€™t even have that from reading through the forum?

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
Yes your right, my M2 had a big discount which makes the supra more expensive. Iā€™m worried the values of the supras will plummet as there seems to be a lot for sale and none are moving.

Do you have any info on the ECUā€™s for the UK? My 2020 M2 Ecu can be bench unlocked but Iā€™m guessing the more recent Supra stuff canā€™t even have that from reading through the forum?
Keep in mind values will drop now but just like the F87 M2C, the Supra is a limited run. Production ends in 2025 and that is when values will start going up as people will start to realize what a good successor to the MKIV this car actually is.

Mark5

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 M2
Iā€™m new to the forum and currently driving a manual M2 competition.

I started a similar thread over on the bmw forum with my thoughts of trading for a new supra. Since then and having done some more research Iā€™ve come across the oil consumption issue and the locked DME which has got me second guessing.

Have any of you guys come from an M2 and should I just wait out until 2022 to see if the oil consumption issue is solved?

p.s I had a 240i with the b58 for 3 years and did numerous track days without losing a drop of oil.
Yes! Just came from an M2 and while it was an incredibly hard decision, I felt like the Supra was a much more genuine interpretation of a sports car. There are some parts of the M2 which are without a doubt nicer such as: brake rotors, speakers, M lighting and carbon bits, caliper paint, easier to drive, M-DCT but the Supra wins overall. I hated the fact that the M didn't include any type of aluminum panels whatsoever... Also hated the high seating position, seats, and N55's top end.

Go for the Supra, it's a true sports car!!! (Also MUCH faster, like F82 M4 Comp fast all the way to 150!)

Attachments

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M2c
Yes! Just came from an M2 and while it was an incredibly hard decision, I felt like the Supra was a much more genuine interpretation of a sports car. There are some parts of the M2 which are without a doubt nicer such as: brake rotors, speakers, M lighting and carbon bits, caliper paint, easier to drive, M-DCT but the Supra wins overall. I hated the fact that the M didn't include any type of aluminum panels whatsoever... Also hated the high seating position, seats, and N55's top end.

Go for the Supra, it's a true sports car!!! (Also MUCH faster, like F82 M4 Comp fast all the way to 150!)
Iā€™m coming from the M2c with the s55 engine not the n55. Plus itā€™s a manual so a more raw experience.
Hoping to drive a supra this weekend.

Mark5

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 M2
Iā€™m coming from the M2c with the s55 engine not the n55. Plus itā€™s a manual so a more raw experience.
Hoping to drive a supra this weekend.
S55 or N55 or what, my thinking was that there's still a massive 5"+ inch difference in car/ride height and 300lbs difference in weight. It feels like driving a pure sports car vs a crossover. Plus the breeding from the Z4 is better than breeding from the 2013 based 2 series. You can feel it instantly in the way the doors and trunks shut - in both the sound and the feeling. It's much tighter and well-executed. The lack of any aluminum on the body of the M2 was also unforgivable (may not be to others?). But I reckon that the M2 is the only recent modern sports car to have no aluminum panels whatsoever on the body.

As you seem to be concerned with that extra turbo, keep in mind that real speed-wise It's actually negligible as the M2 comp goes from 0 to 130 in 16.5 secs MT or 15.9 secs DCT, which is considerably slower than the 2021 Supra at 15.2 secs. To 150mph that gap would be much higher as the Supra does it at 21.9 secs (which is equivalent to the F82 M4 Comp DCT). And the cherry on top is that the Supra gets 20%+ better mpg even if it's a better performer.

The brakes are also interesting... The Supra obviously lacks the cross-drilled rotors and optional M six piston calipers (but I'm not sure if the standard M2 the four piston calipers up front and the braking systems are actually that different). The M brakes look fantastic but ultimately the Supra stops just as well as the big brake six piston caliper option on the M2 Comp.

So I went for the Supra as it is much better designed and engineered as a sports car. It performs noticeably better, looks like a true sports car and the M always felt like they tried to force a 2 series to be sporty and fast but couldn't "go all the way" with it until the M2 CS.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M2c
S55 or N55 or what, my thinking was that there's still a massive 5"+ inch difference in car/ride height and 300lbs difference in weight. It feels like driving a pure sports car vs a crossover. Plus the breeding from the Z4 is better than breeding from the 2013 based 2 series. You can feel it instantly in the way the doors and trunks shut - in both the sound and the feeling. It's much tighter and well-executed. The lack of any aluminum on the body of the M2 was also unforgivable (may not be to others?). But I reckon that the M2 is the only recent modern sports car to have no aluminum panels whatsoever on the body.

As you seem to be concerned with that extra turbo, keep in mind that real speed-wise It's actually negligible as the M2 comp goes from 0 to 130 in 16.5 secs MT or 15.9 secs DCT, which is considerably slower than the 2021 Supra at 15.2 secs. To 150mph that gap would be much higher as the Supra does it at 21.9 secs (which is equivalent to the F82 M4 Comp DCT). And the cherry on top is that the Supra gets 20%+ better mpg even if it's a better performer.

The brakes are also interesting... The Supra obviously lacks the cross-drilled rotors and optional M six piston calipers (but I'm not sure if the standard M2 the four piston calipers up front and the braking systems are actually that different). The M brakes look fantastic but ultimately the Supra stops just as well as the big brake six piston caliper option on the M2 Comp.

So I went for the Supra as it is much better designed and engineered as a sports car. It performs noticeably better, looks like a true sports car and the M always felt like they tried to force a 2 series to be sporty and fast but couldn't "go all the way" with it until the M2 CS.
Iā€™m concerned about an extra turbo? No, I was only pointing out my comparison would be from a S55 power plant which makes more power higher in the rev range vs the N55 you had.

I agree and hope itā€™s a completely different experience. Really hoping it drives as good as it looks...

Mark5

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 M2
Iā€™m concerned about an extra turbo? No, I was only pointing out my comparison would be from a S55 power plant which makes more power higher in the rev range vs the N55 you had.

I agree and hope itā€™s a completely different experience. Really hoping it drives as good as it looks...
Got it... it's a very different feel. Feels more like a combination of my old S2000 and E89 Z4 35is did. After having the M for 3.5 years, it takes getting used to for sure. It actually feels awkward and more "dangerous" to drive coming from the M. That said, it also handles bumps MUCH better in either sport or comfort mode. Doesn't seem to be any "bone jarring" with this car, which is interesting. Looking forward to your impressions!

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
I drove a friend's E92 6MT briefly. While I loved having a manual and a V8, the ride was a huge turnoff for me. I felt like I was riding on flat tires it was so harsh.

While the F87 M2 felt a little better (Turo rental after driving a Supra the previous week), I also found it a bit harsh considering the car's ride height and dimensions. I was expecting it to ride a bit more like the GTI/Golf R - especially since I was used to the ride height of my 2016 which didn't bother me, surprisingly.

The Supra in Sport mode still rides better than most M cars while delivering excellent handling. That was a huge selling point for me as a daily driver.
Sponsored