Transmission slipping? Maybe some other weird thing?

tanabersx

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, RAM Rebel 2021, 2018 BMW X5 e-Drive
Hello. I just got my custom tune done on MHD. Pure 800, E40, Meth, Xhp tune etc.
First drive of the car when I floor it in 6th @ around 3k rpm while building boost, The tranny went into a short neutral rev(like slipping) and went to sleep for about 30 seconds. When I say sleep, I could see the manual gears on the screen moving up and down when I paddle shifted but nothing was happening on the tranny side. It just stayed in the same gear. Switched to D and after about 20-30 seconds It went back into the sport gear it was supposed to be in. Was able to replicate this again when flooring in 6th. I could floor it in 3-4-5 without this happening. Even shifted from 5-6 at WOT and did not happen.
I scanned for codes and get this code on DME, no codes on transmission.

10D000 - combustion engine: torque limitation active.

I’m at a very conservative tune with 608whp and 597tq.
Any light on this will be really appreciated. TIA
Sponsored

Diablo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Launch Edition / 2018 4Runner TRD
I typically drive mine 15-20 minutes before I do any pulls or drive it like a gorilla. This lets the whole system warm up front to back. Possibility your car wasn’t warmed up completely before you’re sixth gear pull?

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
Hello. I just got my custom tune done on MHD. Pure 800, E40, Meth, Xhp tune etc.
First drive of the car when I floor it in 6th @ around 3k rpm while building boost, The tranny went into a short neutral rev(like slipping) and went to sleep for about 30 seconds. When I say sleep, I could see the manual gears on the screen moving up and down when I paddle shifted but nothing was happening on the tranny side. It just stayed in the same gear. Switched to D and after about 20-30 seconds It went back into the sport gear it was supposed to be in. Was able to replicate this again when flooring in 6th. I could floor it in 3-4-5 without this happening. Even shifted from 5-6 at WOT and did not happen.
I scanned for codes and get this code on DME, no codes on transmission.

10D000 - combustion engine: torque limitation active.

I’m at a very conservative tune with 608whp and 597tq.
Any light on this will be really appreciated. TIA
6th gear is a know issue with as much power as you are making. It will slip like what happened with you. I wouldn't recommend doing pulls like that you really should be looking into a transmission upgrade.

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
6th gear is a know issue with as much power as you are making. It will slip like what happened with you. I wouldn't recommend doing pulls like that you really should be looking into a transmission upgrade.
Yup. 6th gear is toast. You can't push 6th that hard with that setup, it's definitely slipping. Just send it out to Pure. Usually about a week, but given the holidays, it might be a little longer.

OP
OP

tanabersx

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
600ft-lbs of torque is not conservative tune for a stock trans.
😂😂😂 when I say conservative I mean on the engine side. Agree I’m pushing the tranny’s limits.

OP
OP

tanabersx

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
After a lot of review my shop and tuner agree it is not slipping. It is some kind of torque protection for what I can see. It is like a limp mode for the tranny. Any ideas?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
After a lot of review my shop and tuner agree it is not slipping. It is some kind of torque protection for what I can see. It is like a limp mode for the tranny. Any ideas?
Drain and check trans fluid. What was trans temp?

OP
OP

tanabersx

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Can someone from the tranny slipping world describe to me what would a slipping tranny do? Or how would it react to slipping?

OP
OP

tanabersx

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The car will behave as if it's in neutral. No more power, RPMs to the moon
Im not getting that. Thats were my issue is. My tranny goes into some sort of limp mode while I’m boosting in 6th.
It does an upshift and stays in 7th gear for a while. I can accelerate in it is in gear. But the paddles dont shift up or down even do it shows the gears going up and down on the screen. Then I switch to D-sport and it resumes with the gear Im supposed to be at according to throttle and speed.No codes on MHD or Xhp.I even reflashed xhp tune and now Im getting a fuel pressure low for WOT code when I WOT so have not been able to test a full tranny gears sweep at WOT.
Today I switched to the OTS map for stage 2 E30 and the car is behaving beautiful.
Figuring this out is driving me nuts!
Purchased the lpfp today also.

RichSC

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra #86, 2018 Raptor
Im not getting that. Thats were my issue is. My tranny goes into some sort of limp mode while I’m boosting in 6th.
It does an upshift and stays in 7th gear for a while. I can accelerate in it is in gear. But the paddles dont shift up or down even do it shows the gears going up and down on the screen. Then I switch to D-sport and it resumes with the gear Im supposed to be at according to throttle and speed.No codes on MHD or Xhp.I even reflashed xhp tune and now Im getting a fuel pressure low for WOT code when I WOT so have not been able to test a full tranny gears sweep at WOT.
Today I switched to the OTS map for stage 2 E30 and the car is behaving beautiful.
Figuring this out is driving me nuts!
Purchased the lpfp today also.
So, mine has been doing this randomly throughout the year as well. We don't know exactly what is causing it either, but from looking at logs and when it does it, our best guess is slipping which is causing the TCU to go into a safe mode to protect itself. Seems to really be prevalent when it's colder out despite warming the car up for a bit before going out for a session. This is all track use too, car is rarely driven on the street anymore.

I'm still on stock turbo, E50 and tuned on ECUtek. Did the XHP flash earlier this year and that helped a bit and these issues did seem to be more rare in the summer months. IIRC, torque output for mine was around 550, but I've also been driving it this way for 2 years now so I kind of expected these problems at some point. Something else I'm going to try before swapping the trans is dialing the torque back, see if I can reproduce these errors.

OP
OP

tanabersx

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So, mine has been doing this randomly throughout the year as well. We don't know exactly what is causing it either, but from looking at logs and when it does it, our best guess is slipping which is causing the TCU to go into a safe mode to protect itself. Seems to really be prevalent when it's colder out despite warming the car up for a bit before going out for a session. This is all track use too, car is rarely driven on the street anymore.

I'm still on stock turbo, E50 and tuned on ECUtek. Did the XHP flash earlier this year and that helped a bit and these issues did seem to be more rare in the summer months. IIRC, torque output for mine was around 550, but I've also been driving it this way for 2 years now so I kind of expected these problems at some point. Something else I'm going to try before swapping the trans is dialing the torque back, see if I can reproduce these errors.
Thanks for the reply! I’m trying to find if it is something tune related or some torque limiter issues. After reading and talking to people that have had tranny slipping, They don't have this symptoms. Thats why Im leaning to tune or sensor related. It will suck to spend 6k on the tranny to still have the same issue.
Sponsored