Trunk Button Release

reNeglect

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra, 2017 BMW X5
Today I just realized my trunk button release on the driver door doesn’t work...

whether it’s car started door closed, car started door open, car off door closed, car off door open...

anyone experiencing this or can shed some light ?
Sponsored

Juggernautjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 noc black 3.0 prem
Does it pop the trunk release, but not allow you to open it? Or just not work at all?

I have to hit my button twice to fully release it, just like the hood. Not sure if that's intentional, or just my car.

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
Sometimes the trunk release in my door doesn't always release the trunk completely. The trunk is slightly popped up but nor unlocked. It will unlock on the second hit of the button. Most of the time it works on the first press. I have noticed that it tends to not open all the way if I don't do a full press down on the button. I wish the would have put a button on the trunk, or used foot movement under the camera to open it like on the BMW 3 and 4 series.

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
try this...

open the door, press trunk release button (should hear soft "thunk" sound of trunk release), without closing door, check trunk lid if it opened.
Easiest is to either hit it twice or make sure your remote is in reach if you have to hit it again.
I can hear release thunk inside car with door closed. You still hear trunk release even when it doesn't open it all the way.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Easiest is to either hit it twice or make sure your remote is in reach if you have to hit it again.
I can hear release thunk inside car with door closed. You still hear trunk release even when it doesn't open it all the way.
here's why i asked to try what i said. when you open the trunk, just by opening and closing driver door creates vacuum & air pressure to half lock trunk or full lock trunk after pressing the trunk release button. by leaving the door open, air pressure will be out of question. if it still does not work, you have a problem and take it to dealer to look at the mechanism and switch. If it works, it's normal.

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
here's why i asked to try what i said. when you open the trunk, just by opening and closing driver door creates vacuum & air pressure to half lock trunk or full lock trunk after pressing the trunk release button. by leaving the door open, air pressure will be out of question. if it still does not work, you have a problem and take it to dealer to look at the mechanism and switch. If it works, it's normal.
That's an interesting thought, as the windows indexing happens when you open and then close the door. If it's not working properly it might cause a bit of a pressure difference which might suck trunk down enough to lock it without it being completely closed. I will have to see what happens if I use it with door closed, and then open the door, vs using it with door open.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
That's an interesting thought, as the windows indexing happens when you open and then close the door. If it's not working properly it might cause a bit of a pressure difference which might suck trunk down enough to lock it without it being completely closed. I will have to see what happens if I use it with door closed, and then open the door, vs using it with door open.
It is known but undocumented feature of our car. ;) what happens is when you close door with moderate/normal speed, air pressure will lift the trunk and slams down and close the lid. I also experienced the other way too.

geert.bieseman

First Name
Geert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan GT-R R33 ; Toyota Supra MKV
Lately I been having the same problem as described here.
* Open the door
* Press the trunk release button
* Close the door
* Go to the trunk and its not fully open

Even pressing it twice does not always work.
But I never had the problem before... maybe I closed the door more gently the first year haha

Seems @nibble could be right about the theory.
Never tried closing the door afterwards, which is normal as I only need to get my bag out and close the trunnk even if it rains :)

I could test the theory couple of times in my garage when parking inside, but its a habit to already close the door before going to the trunk :)

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lately I been having the same problem as described here.
* Open the door
* Press the trunk release button
* Close the door
* Go to the trunk and its not fully open

Even pressing it twice does not always work.
But I never had the problem before... maybe I closed the door more gently the first year haha

Seems @nibble could be right about the theory.
Never tried closing the door afterwards, which is normal as I only need to get my bag out and close the trunnk even if it rains :)

I could test the theory couple of times in my garage when parking inside, but its a habit to already close the door before going to the trunk :)
Check the indexing on your door. Does the window roll down slightly when you open it, and then go back up when you close it. If it's not working I could see it causing the pressure difference.

geert.bieseman

First Name
Geert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan GT-R R33 ; Toyota Supra MKV
Check the indexing on your door. Does the window roll down slightly when you open it, and then go back up when you close it. If it's not working I could see it causing the pressure difference.
Yes it does.
But tried it now two times in my garage (different timing after driving the car) and release button works fine till now when closing the door afterwards.

Could still be due to slamming the door itself. The trunk is not opening much out of its locking mechnism. So could be the slightest vibration... it locks again slightly but enough to stay closed :)

Again, I like these interesting theories :)

OP
OP
reNeglect

reNeglect

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra, 2017 BMW X5
Thanks everyone for the input... however my button straight up doesn’t work in general. I remember it working when I first got the car... I would take it to the dealer however it’s winter here now and the car is about to go in storage....
Sponsored