Trunk door not opening :(

chenqiju

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda
I went to do grocery couple days ago. Put the foods inside the trunk and it never opens again :(

Brought her to Toyota this morning and they couldn't fix it. Apparently this is a new issue. Rescheduling for Toyota engineers to come over and have a look.

I guess this defined Supra as a BMW :p

PS: Not the same as the common re-latching problem, the door is completely locked
Sponsored

21Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium, Honda CRV Hybrid Touring
I went to do grocery couple days ago. Put the foods inside the trunk and it never opens again :(

Brought her to Toyota this morning and they couldn't fix it. Apparently this is a new issue. Rescheduling for Toyota engineers to come over and have a look.

I guess this defined Supra as a BMW :p

PS: Not the same as the common re-latching problem, the door is completely locked

Good luck on the fix. Too bad its not the latching problem. That seems like an easy fix.

Side note: that damn latch almost effing got me Sunday morning. Washed the car and was drying it off. Had the hatch open to dry that part out to reduce water runs. As I was about read to close it I noticed the handle to open the trunk was dangling down. Damn near got me too :(

Back to you though, hopefully its a quick fix.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Do you hear the locking mechanism working when you click the button?

TimM.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra premium
My apologies if this sounds obvious but...

Did anyone try applying a little downward pressure to the hatch while simultaneously pressing the unlatch button?

swift.mk5

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 3.0 Supra Premium
Possibly unrelated, but does anyone else's hatch just barely open when unlocking it? Is this intentional?
I was hoping it would prop itself open with the struts, but I have to slip my fingers into the panel gap and open it basically from 99% shut.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Possibly unrelated, but does anyone else's hatch just barely open when unlocking it? Is this intentional?
I was hoping it would prop itself open with the struts, but I have to slip my fingers into the panel gap and open it basically from 99% shut.
Yes that's how mine is, I assumed it was normal? Odd that there's not a convenient spot to grip it though, I just have to jam the tips of my fingers in there.

Bundy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra A90, 2021 Subaru Outback
I have had a few occasions when the trunk would not open using the key fob but worked OK from the button on the door.

Hellion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 premium
Yes that's how mine is, I assumed it was normal? Odd that there's not a convenient spot to grip it though, I just have to jam the tips of my fingers in there.
I agree with this. There are certainly some odd quirks with this car that don't make a hell of a lot of sense. Just a small enlarged area (cutout) in the center of the trunk lid certainly would not have taken away from the aesthetics too much. The end result would have been worth it.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I seem to be experiencing the re latching issue every once in a while? what is the best solution for that? not tryna hijack your thread op, just on similar subject, keep us updated with what the dealer replaces.

OP
OP
chenqiju

chenqiju

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda
I seem to be experiencing the re latching issue every once in a while? what is the best solution for that? not tryna hijack your thread op, just on similar subject, keep us updated with what the dealer replaces.
I believe there's a thread about it a while ago. You can search Supra MKV trunk latch fix on youtube and there's a video about it.

OP
OP
chenqiju

chenqiju

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda
My apologies if this sounds obvious but...

Did anyone try applying a little downward pressure to the hatch while simultaneously pressing the unlatch button?
I hope that could solve the problem... But unless a 160lbs adult is still too light, otherwise no luck

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
There are 2 nubs on either side of the trunk opening that you can screw further out so that it props open the trunk lid a tiny bit more which should solve the re-latching issue.

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
There are 2 nubs on either side of the trunk opening that you can screw further out so that it props open the trunk lid a tiny bit more which should solve the re-latching issue.
Many times, that makes it worse. The problem is friction on the latch. With enough pressure/friction, the relay can't move the catch from the latch. This friction comes from the pressure exerted by the rubber stops use to align the hatch. These two forces (rubber pushing up/latch pulling down) work against each other.

I found if if I screw out those rubber stops to give proper alignment of the hatch with the fenders, there's so much pressure on the latch that it fails to open about half the time. I found I have to screw in the rubber stops (to a lower position) before my trunk will reliably open. There's a slight mismatch between the hatch lip and fenders as a result. Something I just live with on my specific example.

I agree with the comment to put downpressure on the lid while activating the release. That's the procedure to open the hatch in the case described above.