Trunk door not opening :(

frankelito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2020 3.0 P
Unlock your car, the reason for the trunk not opening all the way is because your car is locked. Fully unlock it with your key and it will work out the box.

If you car is locked you will need to press the trunk button twice

vrwm

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 MKV
I had an issue with the emergency release getting loose and jammed in the trunk when closing. It actually broke the emergency release lever off internally in the latch. It’s made of plastic. I was able to get the trunk open by crawling through the front into the trunk and following steps 1-2d in this post. After 2d I was able to unbolt the striker. and pull out the striker with the bottom panel. Then I was able to access the bottom of the trunk and pull out the latch.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/blackvue-dr900s-2ch-install-diy.4921/

A90B2827-4C13-49FE-B673-3A2091F911C6.png

OP
OP
chenqiju

chenqiju

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda
I had an issue with the emergency release getting loose and jammed in the trunk when closing. It actually broke the emergency release lever off internally in the latch. It’s made of plastic. I was able to get the trunk open by crawling through the front into the trunk and following steps 1-2d in this post. After 2d I was able to unbolt the striker. and pull out the striker with the bottom panel. Then I was able to access the bottom of the trunk and pull out the latch.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/blackvue-dr900s-2ch-install-diy.4921/

A90B2827-4C13-49FE-B673-3A2091F911C6.png
Crawling into the trunk is my favorite every time I do grocery(Unfortunately). I even developed the skill to do a hard brake so everything slide to the front:cool:

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
Pedantically, relays don't move, they're just switches. You're talking about the servo.
Super pedantically, unless it's a transitor based switch, nearly every switch incorporates moving parts. Even hall-effect switches require the positioning of a magnet for on and off states.

Every electromechanical relay ever made has a contact positioned on a moveable-armature to form one-half of the switch. :) And these wear out. A lot. I restore EM pinball machines, among other hobbies...

But yes, you're correct. The part that holds the trunk latch in place is more properly referred to as a servo.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Super pedantically, unless it's a transitor based switch, nearly every switch incorporates moving parts. Even hall-effect switches require the positioning of a magnet for on and off states.

Every electromechanical relay ever made has a contact positioned on a moveable-armature to form one-half of the switch. :) And these wear out. A lot. I restore EM pinball machines, among other hobbies...

But yes, you're correct. The part that holds the trunk latch in place is more properly referred to as a servo.
You're so right here it hurts. Thanks for being an asshole and correct me being an asshole.

OP
OP
chenqiju

chenqiju

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda
Ending:

So I finally got it fix now. A lot had happened during this period and I have talked about it in another thread.

What Toyota said is the emergency handle got tangled and messed up everything.

The conclusion is it's necessary to tape the handle because when you slam the hatch there's a chance that handle would pop off and catch something in the trunk.

The hatch design is probable the worst part of this car...

lingyunly

First Name
Yun
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0 Premium
Ending:

So I finally got it fix now. A lot had happened during this period and I have talked about it in another thread.

What Toyota said is the emergency handle got tangled and messed up everything.

The conclusion is it's necessary to tape the handle because when you slam the hatch there's a chance that handle would pop off and catch something in the trunk.

The hatch design is probable the worst part of this car...
Same thing happened to my Supra today… Hatch is jammed with the emergency release. Could you share a bit more about your fix? I tried @vrwm ‘s way but could not get 2d done. Thanks!

FlynnZero

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
I went to do grocery couple days ago. Put the foods inside the trunk and it never opens again :(

Brought her to Toyota this morning and they couldn't fix it. Apparently this is a new issue. Rescheduling for Toyota engineers to come over and have a look.

I guess this defined Supra as a BMW :p

PS: Not the same as the common re-latching problem, the door is completely locked
Yeah, that's a new one.

OP
OP
chenqiju

chenqiju

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda
Same thing happened to my Supra today… Hatch is jammed with the emergency release. Could you share a bit more about your fix? I tried @vrwm ‘s way but could not get 2d done. Thanks!
I brought it to Toyota service center. They had to broke the bottom part to get it fix. It was covered by the warranty so all it toke is a lot of time.

lingyunly

First Name
Yun
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0 Premium
Thanks! I took the car to the dealer this morning and they took care of it in an hour. Lucky for me they had a Supra(BMW)-certified technician with a petite stature so that guy (my hero for the day) crawled into the trunk from the front, torn down a panel and disentangled the latch. Exhausted every bit of strength in that man tho.

They didnt charge me either. Warranty.

I guess my situation wasn’t as bad as some of the others’ coz I could still see part of the emergency latch from the front when it was stuck (see picture attached). Still, needed the dealer to fix it.

The dealer showed me how to stick the emergency latch onto a little black pin on the hatch so that it doesn’t drop down; but I guess it gets loose quite easily so I’d tape it too.

Thanks very much OP and all.

I brought it to Toyota service center. They had to broke the bottom part to get it fix. It was covered by the warranty so all it toke is a lot of time.

Attachments

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
I took it into the dealer as well under warranty. They replaced the striker unit, emergency hatch release, door panel, etc. Just going to have to wait till parts come in.

I taped my release down since it comes off the pin way too easily.

lingyunly

First Name
Yun
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0 Premium
I took it into the dealer as well under warranty. They replaced the striker unit, emergency hatch release, door panel, etc. Just going to have to wait till parts come in.

I taped my release down since it comes off the pin way too easily.
Looks like this problem is quite common. They really should have released a recall or something.

They didn’t replace anything in my car; again, probably because of the way it’s only half-stuck so nothing really got damaged.

KBG

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Not that I intend to get stuck in the hatch but would removing the release handle solve any potential issue (hopefully I'm understanding the issue correctly)?
Sponsored