Trunk door not opening :(

UCLAKoolman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Update on my situation - my local Toyota dealer says the emergency release is broken and something is jammed in the trunk latch. They will not warranty the repair; however, I bought this car through Carvana and their warranty group (SilverRock) has authorized coverage of the repair with the dealer.

Dealer ordered the parts to repair it but parts are backordered (I figured this would be the case, considering the other ongoing thread about part supplies). I may have to wait a while to get this fixed, but I still don't think this issue warrants me returning the car....
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Update on my situation - my local Toyota dealer says the emergency release is broken and something is jammed in the trunk latch. They will not warranty the repair; however, I bought this car through Carvana and their warranty group (SilverRock) has authorized coverage of the repair with the dealer.

Dealer ordered the parts to repair it but parts are backordered (I figured this would be the case, considering the other ongoing thread about part supplies). I may have to wait a while to get this fixed, but I still don't think this issue warrants me returning the car....
Sorry to hear about your delays.

Happy to hear you're not going to return the car.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core

Good to hear Carvana is covering the cost. I think it was like $1500 or something if I had to pay out of pocket for a repair (mine was fixed under warranty). This was over a year ago and I don't feel like finding where I filed that invoice.

I'm surprised the dealer isn't fixing it through warranty -- take that as a red flag.

calebc

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra mkv

Dealer replaced mine on warranty, took about a week for parts. Hopefully youre getting a rental vehicle covered!

UCLAKoolman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
With the battery of this car being located under the floor in the trunk and the current back order on the repair parts, I’m now leaning towards returning this car (I have two more days to decide). I’m also skeptical whether or not they’ll be able to repair this even when the parts arrive. Would be difficult to resell without a functional trunk or battery access.

UCLAKoolman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dealer replaced mine on warranty, took about a week for parts. Hopefully youre getting a rental vehicle covered!
how long ago did you have yours replaced? Same issue, with the trunk closing on the emergency release?

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
With the battery of this car being located under the floor in the trunk and the current back order on the repair parts, I’m now leaning towards returning this car (I have two more days to decide). I’m also skeptical whether or not they’ll be able to repair this even when the parts arrive. Would be difficult to resell without a functional trunk or battery access.
The battery isn't hard to access at all. It's an easy to remove cover.

Just curious, how much do you actually need to use the trunk? I had the same issue last year, even with my car as a grocery getter, and the passenger seat was good enough.

UCLAKoolman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hello again. I decided to keep the Supra and fortunately it took only a week for the parts to arrive to fix the trunk. The dealer was able to fix it in a day and the repairs were paid for by Carvana. Really glad to have this resolved! I’ll post a picture later with the parts they needed to replace. Definitely securing that emergency release handle!
9E6EED46-1202-4606-86F5-FDAC4DAFA8A7.jpeg

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra; 19 TTRS; 19 Velar P380 HSE; 15 GLA45 AMG
Well add me to the list of guys with a broken trunk release. Worked fine when I went to go pick up my laptop that was in for repairs. Placed the laptop in trunk, closed it. Now neither the trunk release button on the door panel or key fob works. Hear a click, but not the disengagement of the latch.

Guess its time to visit the dealer.

UCLAKoolman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well add me to the list of guys with a broken trunk release. Worked fine when I went to go pick up my laptop that was in for repairs. Placed the laptop in trunk, closed it. Now neither the trunk release button on the door panel or key fob works. Hear a click, but not the disengagement of the latch.

Guess its time to visit the dealer.
Sorry to hear that. The issue happened so fast in my car (literally the day I took possession, I had no idea yet how the emergency latch was supposed to be secured).

Hopefully your dealer will cover the repair. Mine actually tried to argue they wouldn't cover it because it's user error related. I didn't have to argue much since I had purchased the car through Carvana and they covered the repair costs immediately (overall I had a great experience with Carvana tbh).

Even though parts were initially "backordered", it took about 1-2 weeks for parts to come in and the repair was completed in a day. Feel sorry for the sad SOB that had to squeeze into the trunk from the main cabin.

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks @UCLAKoolman . Yeah I purchased mine from Autonation Toyota in Cerritos, but I took it in for the first service to Toyota of Orange last week. Yes... the same Toyota of Orange that repaired that GR86 that was "allegedly" on fire. It's the closet dealership to my office.

Yeah, i'm going to call and see if they have the parts. Hoping they've dealt with this issue before.

Hope you other guys don't have to crawl thru the pass through to get shit out from the trunk. I'm not a big guy (5'11 150lbs) but I had to become a contortionist to get my laptop out of the trunk space.

OP
OP
chenqiju

chenqiju

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda
@BraveDemon OP here. Yeah it's a bummer that this is not fixed after all this long. I got mine from Huntington Beach Toyota and they just fixed for me with no extra cost. The mechanist literally suggested me to duct tape the hook to prevent it from happening again. I stop clamming it ever since then, alway close gently now XD

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah @chenqiju... I looked closely, and it looks like the emergency release handle is jammed where the trunk closes. Scheduled to take it in tues a.m.

Rest of y'all, tape that yellow/green handle shit to the trunk lid.
Sponsored