Tune on only 91 gas question. Big turbo?

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2016 Ram Diesel
So I have a locked 2021 that I have been considering doing the femto unlock and tuning with either BM3 MHD. But the kicker is I only have access to 91 fuel, no 93 or ethanol at the pump. My preference was to just go DP and tune so I could easily go back to stock in the future and keep things reliable. From my research, a stage 2 tune (DP only) would net maybe 30-40 hp increase. For the cost it takes to unlock, that just doesn't seem worth it to me.

So my question is, what would be the next step for power that isn't to involved? My thought would be a turbo upgrade to either a pure or DAW. Would this + tune + DP get me to 500WHP relatively easy? 500WHP seems like the minimum number I would want to achieve to make it worth while. Otherwise I'll just keep it stock for now. My other option I'm exploring is to trade it in for a new M2 lol, but that would probably be next year.

Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Tune n dp would net you more than 40hp!
I think even on 91 youā€™d be mid 400s hp wise with unlocked tuned ecu..
With a bunch more torque..

I could be wrong!

Iā€™m 93 oct with a pure 800, catted dp n right at 500/500..

Steve

you could always add a meth kit ( if you donā€™t mind babysitting the tank)

jonezj

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
Most turbo upgrades will get you to 500 on 91, but thatā€™s about all you can squeeze without better fuel.

stormgreysupra

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oemplusmods.com
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra A90 Edition

Kennith82

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
You'd probably need more fuel, or you'll risk running lean. There's a guy here who ran a Pure 800 to 22 psi on MS109. So maybe on 91 you'd safely hit high 400s.

You'd need something like the Fuel-It CPI kit to supplement fuel in with the JB4. Not many people use it around here, but it is designed to supplement fuel through the charge pipe. Otherwise go for PI controlled by the JB4 (or Reflex).

OP
OP

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tune n dp would net you more than 40hp!
I think even on 91 youā€™d be mid 400s hp wise with unlocked tuned ecu..
With a bunch more torque..

I could be wrong!

Iā€™m 93 oct with a pure 800, catted dp n right at 500/500..

Steve

you could always add a meth kit ( if you donā€™t mind babysitting the tank)
Based on what I've been told, 91 only would net about 30-40 hp on a tune with a DP. I'm also at 4500' elevation which probably doesn't help. I looked into meth but that just more that I want to put into the car plus more risk.
If your at 500whp with the same mods I'm looking into on 93, then that may not bode well for me to get there on 91 without turning stuff way up, which I'm not interested in.

OP
OP

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
500whp is definitely doable with 91 octane with an upgraded turbo. You could also look into meth injection which the b58 reacts to very well.
Relatively easy to get there is it pushing anything? Upgraded turbo is about as far as I would want to go (financially lol).
Just a tune and DP just doesn't seem worth the money for the power bump IMO. 91 really just seems to hold the car back. I wish I could drive my start car and then jump into a tuned (on 91) car with a DP to see the difference. I feel like I'm a pretty financially responsible person so I'd be pissed if I spent the money and wasn't happy with the increase, lol. That's why I'm considering the turbo upgrade to make it worth while. But now I'm leaning towards keeping it stock for now.

OP
OP

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Most turbo upgrades will get you to 500 on 91, but thatā€™s about all you can squeeze without better fuel.
Thats what I'm worried about. I dont want to push things and make the car unreliable or a ticking time bomb. 91 just sucks apparently. So easy to make power on 93 and E.

Got_M

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
So I have a locked 2021 that I have been considering doing the femto unlock and tuning with either BM3 MHD. But the kicker is I only have access to 91 fuel, no 93 or ethanol at the pump. My preference was to just go DP and tune so I could easily go back to stock in the future and keep things reliable. From my research, a stage 2 tune (DP only) would net maybe 30-40 hp increase. For the cost it takes to unlock, that just doesn't seem worth it to me.

So my question is, what would be the next step for power that isn't to involved? My thought would be a turbo upgrade to either a pure or DAW. Would this + tune + DP get me to 500WHP relatively easy? 500WHP seems like the minimum number I would want to achieve to make it worth while. Otherwise I'll just keep it stock for now. My other option I'm exploring is to trade it in for a new M2 lol, but that would probably be next year.

Thanks for the advice.
Get a jb4, catless DP and have Jesse Dabears make a tune for you from 1fastsupra dot com. I am betting to get over mid 400's you are going to need a different type of fuel on stock turbo. You could probably go direct meth injection and max out the stock turbo around 500whp or so. You don't have any Ethanol fuel around anywhere?

stormgreysupra

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oemplusmods.com
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra A90 Edition
Relatively easy to get there is it pushing anything? Upgraded turbo is about as far as I would want to go (financially lol).
Just a tune and DP just doesn't seem worth the money for the power bump IMO. 91 really just seems to hold the car back. I wish I could drive my start car and then jump into a tuned (on 91) car with a DP to see the difference. I feel like I'm a pretty financially responsible person so I'd be pissed if I spent the money and wasn't happy with the increase, lol. That's why I'm considering the turbo upgrade to make it worth while. But now I'm leaning towards keeping it stock for now.
itā€™s going to be significantly faster but if you need to unlock the ecu, it honestly might not be worth it for the money.

why donā€™t you just get a downpipe and JB4? Itā€™s the best bang for your buck.

OP
OP

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
itā€™s going to be significantly faster but if you need to unlock the ecu, it honestly might not be worth it for the money.

why donā€™t you just get a downpipe and JB4? Itā€™s the best bang for your buck.
I looked into the jb4 a while back. I contacted Jesse and he straight up said it wasnā€™t worth the money if Iā€™m limited to 91 octane. So I kind of backed off of that.

wino

First Name
Ira
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3, Premium, 2022
I live west of the Mississippi in 91 octane land so I add 2 gallons of 100 octane race fuel with every fill up.
Sponsored