Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
Ok. I’ve linked to my ECU via obdII > Ethernet cable > to BM3 app and screenshot my vehicle ECU data and was told it doesn’t need unlocking at this time. Not sure what “at this time” means, but what would my next steps be to running the car?
Sponsored

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
Ok. I’ve linked to my ECU via obdII > Ethernet cable > to BM3 app and screenshot my vehicle ECU data and was told it doesn’t need unlocking at this time. Not sure what “at this time” means, but what would my next steps be to running the car?
You would need to purchase a tuning license for your specific vehicle platform through BM3's purchase page and then you should be able to literally just flash the OTS maps straight onto the car, assuming it works anything like MHD does.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’m assuming this same procedure would be true for Ecutek correct?

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’m assuming this same procedure would be true for Ecutek correct?
If the vehicle did not require a bench unlock then yes, the procedure would be the same. Just find a piece of hardware that can handle the tuning, whether it be your phone or a laptop, tablet etc, purchase the tuning license for your specific vehicle from specific tuning company, then use your tuning device to flash the OTS maps. The great thing is that Ecutek just recently started offering an App service to flash tunes, so no need to buy a laptop or tablet now if you don't already have one, just use your phone!

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ok. Went to pro tuning freaks webpage and their diagram for programming the software to the car shows an OBD AJENT device between the phone and the CPU, what is this piece of gear for? The description doesn’t really clear it up for me.

also, if the agent is just a way for wirelessly hooking up you phone can I use this:

EA6E0AF6-6A14-48C3-B22F-70540525A88D.jpeg

Last edited:

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ok. Went to pro tuning freaks webpage and their diagram for programming the software to the car shows an OBD AJENT device between the phone and the CPU, what is this piece of gear for? The description doesn’t really clear it up for me.

also, if the agent is just a way for wirelessly hooking up you phone can I use this:

That device is not the same type of OBD2 Device you would need to tune, that device would be used for check engine code scanning and using Bimmercode to actually code software changes. If you're going Ecutek, you will want to look into an Ecutek branded OBD2 device, an Ecutek software license, and either your phone with the Ecutek application or a laptop/tablet. The same thing goes for MHD. MHD has an OBD2 device as well, and perhaps Bootmod3 does too, I'm just not familiar with BM3.

The process is simple. Check to see if your ECU is locked or if it can be tuned, if not, you have to pay someone to bench unlock it. If it's unlocked, you can go straight to tuning and completely bypass any "human" interaction to tune your car. Just choose your platform, either BM3, MHD, or Ecutek. Once you've picked your platform, go to any of their websites and find which vendors sell their OBD2 tuning kits that are applicable for your vehicle make/model/year and purchase said kit. When I say tuning kit I just mean their OBD2 device, a tuning software license key, and a phone application or set of cables or any other hardware devices necessary to link to a computer or tablet.

Once all of this has arrived at your home you can start the tuning process. I can't speak for anything other than MHD but for MHD it's as easy as:

1. Create an MHD account and purchase tuning software license under this account.
2. Purchase an MHD OBD2 Wifi adapter for your vehicle.
3. Download MHD's "FREE!!" application for your specific vehicle and login to the account that you used to purchase your tuning license.
4. Plug your MHD OBD2 Wifi device into the cars OBD2 port.
5. Put the car into diagnostic mode by pressing the start button three times very quickly WITH FOOT OFF THE BRAKE!
6. Connect your phone to the MHD Wifi Adapter by searching for the MHD Wifi adapters name in your Wifi networks and entering the password that's on the back of your Wifi adapter.
7. Go into the MHD Application and choose "Flash a MHD Map", and then select which ever OTS map is applicable for your cars intended Stage of tuning. So if you're on the stock downpipe and 93 octane, you would go Stage 1, if you're running an aftermarket hi-flow downpipe, you would choose stage 2.
8. Press the "Write tune button". At this point the MHD app will tell you not to start the car, touch the phone, or anything like that during the tuning process. Afterwards it will tell you to wait 30 seconds before attempting to use the car.

Other things to note are it's always best to put your phone in airplane mode with Wifi access during this process. It's also recommended to keep the doors closed with the windows up during the process as well.

If any of this seems overly complicated, or confusing, I would highly recommend searching for a reputable shop that you can take your car to that can do this entire process for you from start to finish.

Last edited:

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black

If that a McIntosh stereo?

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not Mcintosh, but another boutique tube amp by a company called Decware. My main stereo is vintage Audio Research gear.

Reactions: zrk

MR_X

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Bupra, 2016 Macan Turbo, 2010 M3
Was going to make another thread for this but I figured this would be a good place to ask and get some detailed information

So I have been going back and forth on what tune to go with. I’m familiar with MHD since it is what I had on my M4. I liked the simplicity and cost over BM3. I only had stage 1 on my M4 but with the Supra I’m looking for more.

So from my knowledge with MHD I can’t use port injection and would be limited to stage 2+…correct?

I read that BM3 is coming out with a can bus controller that can control port injection…correct? Guessing I can still use BM3 for upgraded turbo. I know I would lose the ability to flash from my phone with just a wifi OBD plug.

ECUTECK is very flexible and can offer the best of both tunes above but comes with a steeper price. If I’m reading correctly, all I need to get from ECUTEK is their kit with a license and get a custom tune done…correct?

Last edited:

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Was going to make another thread for this but I figured this would be a good place to ask and get some detailed information

So I have been going back and forth on what tune to go with. I’m familiar with MHD since it is what I had on my M4. I liked the simplicity and cost over BM3. I only had stage 1 on my M4 but with the Supra I’m looking for more.

So from my knowledge with MHD I can’t use port injection and would be limited to stage 2+…correct?

I read that BM3 is coming out with a can bus controller that can control port injection…correct? Guessing I can still use BM3 for upgraded turbo. I know I would lose the ability to flash from my phone with just a wifi OBD plug.

ECUTECK is very flexible and can offer the best of both tunes above but comes with a steeper price. If I’m reading correctly, all I need to get from ECUTEK is their kit with a license and get a custom tune done…correct?
In regard to ecutek I just was talking with Visconti and all you need is the kit which on their site was 1000.00 and then the custom tune of course would be an additional out of pocket cost. But that included the license and dongle etc

ViscontiSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra

1. Is your car a 2020 or a 2021? - If its a 2020, it MIGHT be unlocked already. You simple need ecutek, a licenses and a tune, then youre ready to go. ($1,000 for the kit with our OTS tune or we have custom option available also.)

2. If its a 2021, whats your ECU date? - If its BEFORE 6/1/2020, you need a bench unlock in addition to what I listed above. We offer a mail in or remote service. If its post 6/1/2020, youll need to ship your ECU to us and proceed with the new found Russia method. This is expensive at a $2,995 for the unlock, then still need to purchase ecutek, licenses and tuning.

3. Just text or call me and Ill be happy to walk you through any questions or concerns you may have. 252-314-5604 :)

Happy thanksgiving!

MR_X

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Bupra, 2016 Macan Turbo, 2010 M3
1. Is your car a 2020 or a 2021? - If its a 2020, it MIGHT be unlocked already. You simple need ecutek, a licenses and a tune, then youre ready to go. ($1,000 for the kit with our OTS tune or we have custom option available also.)

2. If its a 2021, whats your ECU date? - If its BEFORE 6/1/2020, you need a bench unlock in addition to what I listed above. We offer a mail in or remote service. If its post 6/1/2020, youll need to ship your ECU to us and proceed with the new found Russia method. This is expensive at a $2,995 for the unlock, then still need to purchase ecutek, licenses and tuning.

3. Just text or call me and Ill be happy to walk you through any questions or concerns you may have. 252-314-5604 :)

Happy thanksgiving!
Mine is a pre June 2020. I know it got the recall done. Not sure if it is unlocked though.
5C569E0F-C4E2-4CFB-8F0A-056D5A54034D.jpeg

18FED994-D37D-4BFC-B210-8D267E302537.jpeg

550BE603-E3F7-4126-BE54-89369635CA5C.jpeg
Sponsored