Turbo Whine

SupraGR21

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium
Stupid question. Will the intake hurt the car without a tune? I know that the fuel economy will get worse but when I had an STI the car drove like S***. THanks
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Stupid question. Will the intake hurt the car without a tune? I know that the fuel economy will get worse but when I had an STI the car drove like S***. THanks
Nope - it'll run fine.

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
My wife takes the car when I'm not using it. Shortly after I got it I installed the CST open intake but she had already driven it a bit. I never told her I installed it and she came home one day thinking she broke the car from all the noise it was making. I told her it's always sounded like that and it just gets a bit louder after the car is broken in. She still doesn't know about the intake.

OP
OP
jbretthorton

jbretthorton

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Premium
Is the CST a descent setup? Cost is pretty low at $299

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
Is the CST a descent setup? Cost is pretty low at $299
I don't have any issues with it. It replaces half of the intake pipe with metal. I know some of the more expensive ones do the full thing. You hear intake whoosh pretty much every time you press the accelerator and it's very apparent from inside the cabin.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
My wife takes the car when I'm not using it. Shortly after I got it I installed the CST open intake but she had already driven it a bit. I never told her I installed it and she came home one day thinking she broke the car from all the noise it was making. I told her it's always sounded like that and it just gets a bit louder after the car is broken in. She still doesn't know about the intake.
Lmfao, that reminds me of what i told my girl haha, i told her i just replaced the stock air filter with a K&N drop in and the car got faster and louder... but really i did the intake, downpipe and an E30 tune. LMFAO

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
I have the Takeda, makes nice whine and spool sounds. Can only really hear in normal mode though, because of dp. Also customized the box so it looks more stealth and doesn't have red and fake carbon sticker rice on it haha.
IMG_9433.jpg

SavageGTR34

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Love the car, but wish it had the distinctive turbo whine under acceleration.
Anything to be done about this? CAI?
Own the MST and inlet pipe…purchased that bad boy from Speed Industry (arma speed is a special order) and am very impressed with the quality and how easy it was to install. Drastic difference in sound and of course the actual air intake into the engine is increased.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
That's because the STi uses a MAF sensor for fueling. It measures the air velocity at a very specific spot in the intake pipe and then estimates the total air flow from that. Anything that changes the air flow pattern in the intake pipe at the MAF sensor location (such as a new intake) screws up the fueling.

The B58 only uses the MAF at cold start until the O2 sensors warm up, after that it no longer uses it. I'm not 100% clear on how it controls fueling after that point, my best guess is speed density (using the manifold pressure and temperature to estimate air flow using an engine volumetric efficiency map), but I haven't seen confirmation of that from any tuners.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
If you want the full effect of turbo whine slap on a top mount setup. Then you can really hear it.

-RJM

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
That's because the STi uses a MAF sensor for fueling. It measures the air velocity at a very specific spot in the intake pipe and then estimates the total air flow from that. Anything that changes the air flow pattern in the intake pipe at the MAF sensor location (such as a new intake) screws up the fueling.

The B58 only uses the MAF at cold start until the O2 sensors warm up, after that it no longer uses it. I'm not 100% clear on how it controls fueling after that point, my best guess is speed density (using the manifold pressure and temperature to estimate air flow using an engine volumetric efficiency map), but I haven't seen confirmation of that from any tuners.
Have you seen the charge pipe with BOV XPH has been advertising? I ask because I'm trying to figure out how that would work and you saying the vehicle has a map sensor would make more sense.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Have you seen the charge pipe with BOV XPH has been advertising? I ask because I'm trying to figure out how that would work and you saying the vehicle has a map sensor would make more sense.
I haven't, and from what I understand the throttle plate is 100% open all the time on the B58, when you let off the gas it doesn't pull vacuum, so I'm not sure how a traditional BOV would work. This kit appears to be electronically controlled somehow (mention of a solenoid and solenoid controller):
https://bigboostturbo.com/products/n55-s55-b58-blow-off-valve-kit?variant=35478953132183

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
I haven't, and from what I understand the throttle plate is 100% open all the time on the B58, when you let off the gas it doesn't pull vacuum, so I'm not sure how a traditional BOV would work. This kit appears to be electronically controlled somehow (mention of a solenoid and solenoid controller):
https://bigboostturbo.com/products/n55-s55-b58-blow-off-valve-kit?variant=35478953132183
Yea now I'm even more confused because you're right seems like they're saying an ECBS is required with that kit. ?

SupraGR21

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium

Did not know that thank you!
Sponsored