Upgrade path questions

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 RB A91, 2020 X3M, 2006 S2000
I'm currently running an E50 Visconti Ecutek tune with a catless downpipe. I'd like to upgrade the turbo and add port injection, and I expect to need a built trans to handle the full potential. Which one makes the most sense to start out?

Also trying to decide which turbo option would be best. I'd like to shoot for ~800whp. Is a Pure 800 enough? Should I wait for the Remnant 6-port kit? Should I be looking at a top mount instead, given my goals?
Sponsored

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
What is your use case?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
What is your use case?
Important question. What are you chasing?

I'd like to shoot for ~800whp. Is a Pure 800 enough?
No, a Pure800 is good for 670-700 depending on things/your car.

Should I wait for the Remnant 6-port kit? Should I be looking at a top mount instead, given my goals?
Remnant is a G35-based design, stock location turbo (but not stock frame) a solid choice based on original numbers. The G35 will be the best bang-for-buck turbo on the market here shortly. Longevity and power numbers are still yet to be seen, though you'd likely hit your goal while maxing the turbo.

Top mounts are great for show cars and good for power. The bottom mount is where it's looking to be. All of the power with much of the heat is directed at the bottom of the car.

Either way, at 800hp you'll need to build the motor first. You'll probably get away with it for a while, but @wheeliedub and many many others will tell you you're living on borrowed time with that kind of power. There are several options for building the motor, BMB, p2uned, Harrison, etc. If you're really looking to push the envelope, start there.

OP
OP
Nitroturtle

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What is your use case?
Just a fun street car, may run it at the drag strip occasionally if/when I'm able to upgrade the axles. There are several boosted Mustangs in my area and I'd like to be able to keep up.

Either way, at 800hp you'll need to build the motor first. You'll probably get away with it for a while, but @wheeliedub and many many others will tell you you're living on borrowed time with that kind of power. There are several options for building the motor, BMB, p2uned, Harrison, etc. If you're really looking to push the envelope, start there.
Didn't realize I was getting into built motor territory, likely going to avoid that for now. So it sounds like I need to lower my target numbers, which is fine. It's looking like maybe the Remnant kit may be the way to go.

With that said, which of these would be the best place to start?

wheeliedub

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Just a fun street car, may run it at the drag strip occasionally if/when I'm able to upgrade the axles. There are several boosted Mustangs in my area and I'd like to be able to keep up.

Didn't realize I was getting into built motor territory, likely going to avoid that for now. So it sounds like I need to lower my target numbers, which is fine. It's looking like maybe the Remnant kit may be the way to go.

Fun street car? Go pure 800 and call it a day. Anything more than that and it’s a chore to put the power down on the street. I run drag radials and will still roast the tires from a 60 roll. Conditions have to be near perfect to see traction.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

~700ish is probably where you want to be. 700hp is a 9 second car with supporting mods. You're going to want:

* Port Injection (Plate or Manifold)
* LPFP - Several options here. Visconti has one, @Twisted Tuning has one, Radium, PFS
-- Here ^ You're at ~550-575ish on the stock turbo, closer to 600, a little over 6 on full E85
* p2tuned turbo kit is a pretty solid option for top mount they have top. Remnant looks to be good by all numbers and on paper, still waiting on data here. Pure800 is a solid solid choice.
-- Now you need a trans
* Pure Drivetrain Solutions Stage 1 transmission
* DSS Axles

Edit: Obviously you'll need a tooner.

And now you've got a 700hp street car with room to grow.

wheeliedub

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
~700ish is probably where you want to be. 700hp is a 9 second car with supporting mods. You're going to want:

* LPFP - Several options here. Visconti has one, @Twisted Tuning has one, Radium, PFS
-- Here ^ You're at ~550-575ish on the stock turbo, closer to 600, a little over 6 on full E85
* p2tuned turbo kit is a pretty solid option for top mount they have top. Remnant looks to be good by all numbers and on paper, still waiting on data here. Pure800 is a solid solid choice.
-- Now you need a trans
* DSS Axles

Not a bad way to spend $20k lol

wheeliedub

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cost for a new “used” block and built internals after blowing the stock one up. Sorry it’s TikTok. Can’t find the picture of just the receipt. I’m well into 6 figures buying the car and getting it to this point 😂

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Solid responses here by the SupraMKV Racing team.

The next level mods past the e50 on stock turbo are a big jump in commitment and $$$.

There is a lot of excitement around the Remnant Performance bottom mount. I know CTS has released a similar design.

https://www.ctsturbo.com/product/cts-turbo-a90-toyota-supra-turbo-kit/

People love the idea of 700+whp and the turbo kit is reasonably priced. Its all the supporting mods that get you. You can easily spend $20K and not be done.

-RJM

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Solid responses here by the SupraMKV Racing team.

The next level mods past the e50 on stock turbo are a big jump in commitment and $$$.

There is a lot of excitement around the Remnant Performance bottom mount. I know CTS has released a similar design.

https://www.ctsturbo.com/product/cts-turbo-a90-toyota-supra-turbo-kit/

People love the idea of 700+whp and the turbo kit is reasonably priced. Its all the supporting mods that get you. You can easily spend $20K and not be done.

-RJM
CTS is two port only for the time being.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
But is there really any power adder of a pure800 if you don’t port inject?

OP
OP
Nitroturtle

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

-- Now you need a trans
* DSS Axles

Edit: Obviously you'll need a tooner.

Are you suggesting these in this specific order? This list is pretty much where I'm heading, and I realize I'll be 20k deep at least, but I'm really looking for which order would be best rather than dumping 20k all at once.

Great info here, thanks everyone!

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
There are multiple ways to do this. But for a street car, here's my own path:

Port injection + LPFP + Turbo is first and together. This is all the power and fuel I'll ever want. I'll be buying Remnant Performance for the turbo and PI system, PFS or TT for the pump. I feel like a top mount is pointless if you're not building primarily for drag. This will get you to APPROXIMATELY 650WHP/600WTQ. You'll have plenty of fuel and turbo headdroom, buuuut...

Now you need to build the transmission. That's your next limit.

If you're streeting, axles can come last. Just be smart and don't launch the thing at 2x stock torque before you get the axles in.

If you really want to piecemeal:

Turbo first and tune it up until you can't add more fuel.

PI+LPFP next for more fuel and solid ethanol support.

Build the trans once you hit the ~600WTQ wall. Enjoy AutoX, time attack, roll racing, and monstrous street performance.

Get the axles to start launching at >600. Drag is now open to you.
Sponsored

Last edited: