Value Retention on MKV Supra

jaymes

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
finiti
Seeing how many Supras are ending up in salvage yards and how many people are clapping them out (like myself), I feel like pristine low mileage versions will be worth something in 20-25 years. Especially the manual versions.

Not really an investment opportunity unless you're in the business of flipping a significant amount of collector cars.

If you're looking to keep a sports car for 3 to 4 years to trade in for something else, then get a decent trim of any Cayman or 911.
SO after 'clapping out' your car to 826 whp, what's your verdict on the durability/build quality/value-for-money on this car? :)
Sponsored

Xproplayer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra White
So if you're buying right now, you're either going to pay in one of 3 ways I've noticed:
1. Buy from a dealer TODAY - you pay a dealer markup
2. Waitlist from a dealer, get the car in 3-6 months - you pay with time
3. Buy a good example of a used one now, you pay MSRP potentially (In my case I purchased a MY21 with 11k miles from carmax for 57k, MSRP despite being a year old, but I got the car immediately)

I'm hoping the car value doesn't drop, but it's inevitable. I think if the car is well maintained and below 30k miles it'll still be worth a good bit of money down the line

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Even when you can find something that was modified tastefully and professionally (and properly maintained)... it's rarely the best choice - unless they did everything exactly the way you would have. Also a bit more common to find at auctions rather than at dealerships, as the seller knows what they have and won't accept book value as a trade-in.

Materia

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Why would you buy a car expecting it to retain value?

There is a reason why really wealthy people have basic ass commuter cars in their drive ways.

Do you want a fun car? Yes? Buy it. Want to make an investment? Look into bonds.

jaymes

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
finiti
Why would you buy a car expecting it to retain value?

There is a reason why really wealthy people have basic ass commuter cars in their drive ways.

Do you want a fun car? Yes? Buy it. Want to make an investment? Look into bonds.
Unless you're buying 500K+ cars that seem to appreciate in value, such as the carrera gt and ferrari enzo :D

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
Hi All. Currently looking at buying an MKV Supra but I am very worried about getting into one when they are most expensive and watching the bottom fall out as soon as the car market corrects.

What's the general consensus on how well this Supra will hold it's value? I know it's still a bit early in this generation's life cycle but seeing on how this car is really a BMW, will it depreciate like a BMW?
Based on limited information, primarily on straight line racings running low 8sec, I believe it will be a competitive (or better) platform to MKIV. I haven't heard any significant negative feedback on the platform yet. I don't believe it will depreciate like the Z4 simply bc it's so popular in both sales number and racing. Toyota have been selling them nearly 20K units/yr while BMW sells their Z4 about 2K units/yr.

See Jay from Real Street, one of a major player in the MKIV game:
Build Recipe: What it takes to build a 9 Second MKV Supra - YouTube

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Hi All. Currently looking at buying an MKV Supra but I am very worried about getting into one when they are most expensive and watching the bottom fall out as soon as the car market corrects.

What's the general consensus on how well this Supra will hold it's value? I know it's still a bit early in this generation's life cycle but seeing on how this car is really a BMW, will it depreciate like a BMW?
who cares? If you love the car and want one, just buy it. If your asking this, the Supra probably isn’t the right car for you if your worried about value retention.

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
This will likely be that last generation of manual sports cars, so the value should hold well on the MTs.

Speculation aside..

Ask yourself if you're okay with the concept of lighting up a bonfire with 30K of cash in your back yard and inviting all your friends to watch.. If the answer is yes, you’re ready to buy a sports car!
I couldn't agree more. In the words of Chris Harris, "what's the point of working hard if you can't buy stupidly expensive toys?"

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I'm so obsessed with the damn car I'm buying a 2nd one after wrecking my 1st 😂 😭. With current inflation @Grizzly44, they're not getting any cheaper. I'd focus on finding one at MSRP since so many dealers are marking them up. You'll be way ahead of the game that way ;)

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I'm keeping this money pit with me til the wheels fall off haha

I can't say I really lived unless I die with a cool ass lineup of vehicles in my garage
Although I've definitely owned cars I wish I'd never purchased in the first place... I regret every one I've ever sold/traded (at least occasionally). Unfortunately, not being a fan of the "amateur junk yard" look as far as the house is concerned... and not having a 1,400+ sqft. garage means compromises must be made.

However, I plan on keeping mine far longer than makes sense as well... probably longer than I can physically get myself into it.

Wrxgone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 Honda Accord , 2023 Toyota GR Supra
This will likely be that last generation of manual sports cars, so the value should hold well on the MTs.

Speculation aside..

Ask yourself if you're okay with the concept of lighting up a bonfire with 30K of cash in your back yard and inviting all your friends to watch.. If the answer is yes, you’re ready to buy a sports car!
I’m ready !!!! But until I find a dealership willing to sell at MSRP , the wait continues.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
If buying used, wait. I just got mine for $4k less that the dealership was asking (current pricing at the time). The cars aren't selling at stupid prices, so they are coming down.

P.S. me never: "I wonder how much my car worth be with, later".
I will never buy a car based on that I think it will be worth some day. That's the quickest way to suck all the fun out of it.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
Now is definitely not a good time to buy a car unfortunately, it's a sellers market. I bought my 2020 brand new back when covid first hit so I paid way below msrp (think $40k range). Nowadys dealers are marking up everything; seeing a MKV go for $60k+ is pretty much the norm. Sure if you have the money I'd say go for it, however, once the market unfucks itself, you'll now be in a hole once you go to trade up. As someone who works in finance, I'd never put myself in a situation where I have negative equity but as Gen Z would say, "you do you boo".
Sponsored