Warming up Supra

Kyuen16

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra Refraction
So I know for older cars you should definitely let it warm up before driving. However after reading the Manuel I found this. I still let my baby sit for 5-10 seconds before I drive off though.
878B8D27-4CA4-4043-BB04-7227A941A468.png
Sponsored

Lil Grey Supra

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Camaro - 427ci LSX turbo'd, 2016 RAM 2500, 2021 GR Supra 3.0 Prem
Doesn't look like anyone here has had forged internals...........absolutely agree with rocksandblues and DesmoSD. Not allowing your car to warm up is largely based around european law and environmental concerns. That said, cars these days are built to tolerate quite a bit of abuse.

BL - oil temp is a big deal so try not to stand on the throttle until the fluids have loosened (warmed) up a bit or don't -

3rdGearEvo

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 2003 Evo VIII
It's better to warm everything (engine, trans, rear diff) all at the same time while driving the vehicle, preferably under 2,000 rpm if possible until temp gauge on dash reads close to normal operating temp. These cars warm up pretty quickly on the interior thanks to auxiliary heaters and heated seats if you have that option.

Nytrajin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger GT, GR Supra
Helloooooo threadsurrection lol.
Stated in manual or not, because of environmental regulations or not; it's not good to idle this engine due to the lack of vacuum, it's essentially overloading the PCV system for no reason. I used to warm up given our gnarly winters with temps as low as -43. But past the first 8k miles, I've stopped (sitting at about 35k miles now) and haven't experienced any side effects besides the convenience of warmer air blowing through vents sooner.

I do allow cold start to finish before driving off which is about 1 to 2 mins depending on how cold it is out; also monitored when cold start turns off and it seems to be when coolant hits 105°F and oil hits 85° but that might just be coincidence waiting for cat or second O2 to warm up and give correct readings.

I've data logged the car several times to figure out all sorts of behavior and these engines seem to literally just keep throttle body open on start onwards, there is never a state of vacuum in the intake side of the motor, when it builds boost on increasing torque call, the PCV loop closes up manifold side line and starts routing strictly into a vacuum zone at the mouth of the turbo. For anyone who knows what ideal conditions for a PCV system are, it's easy to see why driving as soon as possible is good and idling in general is bad for this motor.

RyanA90

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 Supra A91-MT Burnout

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Great YT channel from an ex Supra master tech explains how the Supra's B58 has a very advanced way of warming up the engine oil quickly - so it's really not worth idling it, just drive off slowly and within 5 minutes normally it's ready.
Idling won't "harm" per se, perhaps only if very for a very extended period and in very hot weather only.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
While we are on this topic, similar question: how important is it to get up to operating temperature before sending it? Let's say you've driven it normal like a half mile or something, and temperature gauge still shows just 1 bar. But now we've reached the freeway on-ramp... :hmm:

I'm sure its objectively better for the engine to get it to operating temperature before hitting sport mode and mashing the accelerator, but I guess the real question is: how "bad" or hard on the engine is this? Perhaps OK every once in a while, but not a good daily habit? Or just avoid this type of thing as the wear and tear is too high?
Sponsored