Warranty: Intake and Exhaust

chendricksen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
Thinking of doing a CAI and catback exhaust on my 2021 3.0. Does anyone know if these two items alone would impact the warranty?
Sponsored

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
The dealer can deny the warranty work only if they can prove that the aftermarket part caused the warranty issue you are in for. For example, they cannot deny you suspension warranty work if you only changed the air filter or exhaust. They can give you a hard time, but the Magnuson Moss Act is Federal and all dealerships know this as much as they try to push back against doing the warranty work

Magnuson Moss Act
https://www.autoanything.com/resources/magnuson-moss-warranty-act-explained/

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Thinking of doing a CAI and catback exhaust on my 2021 3.0. Does anyone know if these two items alone would impact the warranty?
Catback will not. Intake can in certain circumstances. If an engine issue arises, a dealership could blame the intake and deny the warranty claim.

Magnuson Moss warranty act is useless. The dealer and subsequently the brand will flag the car for warranty work and then it's up to you to lawyer up and prove otherwise. And that'll cost a lot more than the warranty work itself.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Iā€™ve never had a warranty claim denied on a modded vehicle. Including an O2 sensor that could have plausibly been denied.

I have had to explain MM act and consumer protection law to a service manager and a warranty rep, and that was sufficient.

Even if it is true that a dealer (usually itā€™s not actually the dealer) can deny anything for any reason (initially), if youā€™re in the right, you have at least some (sometimes a very good) chance at prevailing.

So I think advising people not to make any mod if they want to keep their warranty is maybe a disservice. Itā€™s all about reasonable likelihood of a particular mod causing a problem that can be reasonably connected to said act.

Risk informed decision making.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
It really is a risk informed decision. You can always keep stock parts and switch back if the warranty claim is of high value. Like for example a new engine because scored cylinders caused excessive oil consumption.

For that I would start claim with a completely stock car. Donā€™t give them any doubt whats so ever to deny claim.

-RJM

NitroMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium Nitro Yellow
Keep your stock parts and swap them back on before taking it in.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Keep your stock parts and swap them back on before taking it in.
THIS. IDK why people make a big deal out of it. You can do intake, tune, DP, and take it back to stock in one afternoon.

Reactions: mrd

bsandoe

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0, 17 Macan S
Dealers arenā€™t fools. They can easily spot tool marks etc. and know parts have been changed.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
THIS. IDK why people make a big deal out of it. You can do intake, tune, DP, and take it back to stock in one afternoon.
As far as tunes go, they (dealerships) can see exactly how many times the DME has been rewritten and deny your powertrain warranty.

Reactions: mrd

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Catback should be fine, heck my Toyota dealer offered to install one for me. DP, I would not install unless you tune the car. It's a risk vs reward thing.

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
As far as tunes go, they (dealerships) can see exactly how many times the DME has been rewritten and deny your powertrain warranty.
I thought reading this was interesting. Sounds like bmw went even further than just oh the dme was flashed.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?s=2c087a7e8c8d398223e73422cac8087c&t=1834548

I know some people have said on this forum they swapped back to stock and didn't get flagged for the vehicle being modified.
Sponsored