What did you do to your Supra today?

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
I like the fact that I don't have to remove them for track events, and I really like how I can pop them out, hose them off, dry them with a towel and put them back in my car.
Good to hear they can be cleaned just as easily. I wonder if they would let me keep them in the car on HDPEs.
hey wes, because of the first quote, i think weathertech might remain the better choice for you. the luxmat are definitely bulkier than the weathertech. also, while they do clean just as easily, they get dirty like 30x faster than the weathertech lol. i clean them twice a week rather than once, in comparison

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
hey wes, because of the first quote, i think weathertech might remain the better choice for you. the luxmat are definitely bulkier than the weathertech. also, while they do clean just as easily, they get dirty like 30x faster than the weathertech lol. i clean them twice a week rather than once, in comparison
Thanks Bryan! I'll stick to the Weathertechs for my car, but I might buy the Tux mats for my wife's Tiguan if they're available.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I took my car in to get serviced at a dealer today. Five hours after having dropped her off I got a phone call to tell me they can't do the oil change because they don't actually have any GR Supra Oil.

#ISITREALLYATOYOTA?
You've been crawling around on the ceiling of this forum this long, and you didn't know to call them ahead of time to make sure they had the GR oil on hand before going in?

They probably saw your BMW sticker (thanks for mine BTW) and were like, "Oh, we'll show him just how BMW this thing is alright."

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
You've been crawling around on the ceiling of this forum this long, and you didn't know to call them ahead of time to make sure they had the GR oil on hand before going in?
I booked it in three weeks ago and assumed they would be equipped to deal with it - my mistake. But it's worse than that. When I dropped the car off I just said, make sure you put in the GR oil and they said, yeah sure.. we always put in the right stuff. Turns out they never put in the right stuff.. and if I hadn't mentioned anything I would've ended up with Tuna oil or whatever shit they put into Camrys.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I would've ended up with Tuna oil or whatever shit they put into Camrys.
It's Grass Carp Oil, get it right!

Seriously though, the only thing special about the GR oil is that it meets the European C5 standard and is EXTRA kind to catalysts if and when some is consumed. Could you get away with the regular TGMO 0W-20 if in a pinch? Absolutely.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I booked it in three weeks ago and assumed they would be equipped to deal with it - my mistake. But it's worse than that. When I dropped the car off I just said, make sure you put in the GR oil and they said, yeah sure.. we always put in the right stuff. Turns out they never put in the right stuff.. and if I hadn't mentioned anything I would've ended up with Tuna oil or whatever shit they put into Camrys.
I went twice to my local dealer. My bad. I heard on here 1st, donā€™t do it. Yet I still didā€¦ šŸ˜ž So now I buy my own oil & have my fav independent BMW mechanic put it in correctly. What a piece of mind. He canā€™t run his business that way orā€¦. Heā€™d be out of business. So thatā€™s where mine gets serviced.

Iā€™m not condoning it but they (our cars) are rare and the only BMW they service. Itā€™s completely different. Most just arenā€™t equipped to handle it or have the backing of their dealership to support our cars properly.

Iā€™ve got a good local Porsche buddy thatā€™s getting into tracking. Oh brotherā€¦ Now heā€™s starting to see the flaws at his Porsche dealerā€™s service dept. Point being. Most of these big dealerships are a great place for mechanics (service techs) to get their start. Most are not like Fuzzy - a real mechanic with extensive knowledge & experience. My fav mechanic started off at Honda then BMW and now has his own shop. He is meticulous & loves cars! He even went to Sebring with me after putting my Ohlins in. He treats it like his own. Takes pics of the car. Marks the bolts for movement. I promise you wonā€™t get that at a dealership. Andā€¦ itā€™s cheaper šŸ¤«

Last edited:

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I went twice to my local dealer. My bad. I heard on here 1st, donā€™t do it. Yet I still didā€¦ šŸ˜ž So now I buy my own oil & have my fav independent BMW mechanic put it in correctly. What a piece of mind. He canā€™t run his business that way orā€¦. Heā€™d be out of business. So thatā€™s where mine gets serviced.

Iā€™m not condoning it but they (our cars) are rare and the only BMW they service. Itā€™s completely different. Most just arenā€™t equipped to handle it or have the backing of their dealership to support our cars properly.

Iā€™ve got a good local Porsche buddy thatā€™s getting into tracking. Oh brotherā€¦ Now heā€™s starting to see the flaws at his Porsche dealerā€™s service dept. Point being. Most of these big dealerships are a great place for mechanics (service techs) to get their start. Most are not like Fuzzy - a real mechanic with extensive knowledge & experience. My fav mechanic started off at Honda then BMW and now has his own shop. He is meticulous & loves cars! He even went to Sebring with me after putting my Ohlins in. He treats it like his own. Takes pics of the car. Marks the bolts for movement. I promise you wonā€™t get that at a dealership. Andā€¦ itā€™s cheaper šŸ¤«
You're making sense buddy. I have one more visit for a warranty issue then I'm out.

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium

The lack of good support for the factory warranty is one thing that still gives me pause about buying a Supra. I already canā€™t stand dealing with dealership service departments, and adding another layer of incompetency and issues makes me nervous. Thankfully I do most maintenance myself, but that wonā€™t help me on major mechanical or electronic issues that need to be covered under warranty. Oh well. You only live once. Time to roll the dice!

I do like your approach of using a reputable BMW shop. Iā€™ve even imagined doing something like that for warranty issues with this car and just footing the bill.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
It amazes me how hung up people on this forum still are about the ā€œspecialā€ Supra oil. There is absolutely nothing ā€œspecialā€ about it beyond the price. Any number of very good, readily available oils meet the B58 specs. I prefer Castrol Edge but there are plenty of others to pick from. The car will not blow up if you donā€™t fall for the ā€œspecialā€Supra oil crap Toyota is trying to sell. Also, change your own oil! It is so easy on this car. Can be done in 30 minutes with only jackstands in a driveway. Remove bolt, drain oil, remove filter, install new filter, reinstall bolt, add oil. Takes as long to jack the car up as it does to change the oil.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
It amazes me how hung up people on this forum still are about the ā€œspecialā€ Supra oil. There is absolutely nothing ā€œspecialā€ about it beyond the price. Any number of very good, readily available oils meet the B58 specs. I prefer Castrol Edge but there are plenty of others to pick from. The car will not blow up if you donā€™t fall for the ā€œspecialā€Supra oil crap Toyota is trying to sell. Also, change your own oil! It is so easy on this car. Can be done in 30 minutes with only jackstands in a driveway. Remove bolt, drain oil, remove filter, install new filter, reinstall bolt, add oil. Takes as long to jack the car up as it does to change the oil.
I like Liquid Moly a lot, personally. Started using it in my Cayman and I kept using it in my BMW. I use 5W-30 because of how much I track my car.

FCP Euro sells an oil change kit for the Z4 (same as Mk. V Supra) that has the filter, crush washer, and O-ring. I use 5W-30 Special Tech (you can get other oil weights).

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-oil-change-kit-5w-30-liqui-moly-11428583898-lm

The Supra is the first car I've had with a top mounted oil filter and man, it's such an easy oil change. Resetting the maintenance light is very straightforward too.