What did you do to your Supra today?

mk5dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 pure 800 supra, srt redeye
hey new to the group so i guess i put up photos of mines nitro yellow supra with pure 800 and flex fuel, tuned by payne. I’m currently having an issue with the new carbon hood where it flexes a quite a bit when at high speeds. i have adjusted the hood and it still does it.

Attachments

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
True, that thought didn't really cross my mind. I suppose I looked at it as "why even change the downpipe if it can't be tuned?"
To make a ton more power. The downpipe actually restricts the stock turbine flow. Slightly faster spool without out it, and you can absolutely adjust the boost with a ProTune/JB4/Other Piggyback.

As to why you'd go catless unless you're BigTurbo™, I have no idea.

hotsaucewizard

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 1991 325i Turbo, 2019 RC350
hey new to the group so i guess i put up photos of mines nitro yellow supra with pure 800 and flex fuel, tuned by payne. I’m currently having an issue with the new carbon hood where it flexes a quite a bit when at high speeds. i have adjusted the hood and it still does it.
Would you mind elaborating on the hood? I've been one click away from ordering a seibon hood for some time now but this doesn't sound great..

mk5dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Would you mind elaborating on the hood? I've been one click away from ordering a seibon hood for some time now but this doesn't sound great..
there’s a gap the causes wind to go before hood and fender

Attachments

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
The stock hood also has a gap all the way around, posing as a body line. The real issue is that CF hoods are incredibly lightweight compared to a stock hood, and can turn into an aerofoil at speed. At best, this will cause the hood to flex and distort at speed. Worst case: the hood can catch so much upward force that it overpowers the hood latch and smashes into the windshield.

All CF hoods should be installed with hood pins or AeroCatch. Your hood is flexing because you have not yet installed the correct safety mechanisms to reliably run a CF hood.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
All CF hoods should be installed with hood pins or AeroCatch. Your hood is flexing because you have not yet installed the correct safety mechanisms to reliably run a CF hood.
Seibon also says on the product page for every Supra carbon hood that hood pins are required

mk5dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The stock hood also has a gap all the way around, posing as a body line. The real issue is that CF hoods are incredibly lightweight compared to a stock hood, and can turn into an aerofoil at speed. At best, this will cause the hood to flex and distort at speed. Worst case: the hood can catch so much upward force that it overpowers the hood latch and smashes into the windshield.

just ordered the pins thanks, i’ve had/have many performance cars but this is the first on that i’ve ever put a carbon hood on

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
To make a ton more power. The downpipe actually restricts the stock turbine flow. Slightly faster spool without out it, and you can absolutely adjust the boost with a ProTune/JB4/Other Piggyback.

As to why you'd go catless unless you're BigTurbo™, I have no idea.
Yea true, I completely forgot about the increased flow actually being able to make more power even in stock form. The shop that dynoed my Supra before the tune did notice about a 20ish horsepower and torque gain from just the downpipe change. I also didn't think about the fact that they could be using a JB4 because I figured it might have a way of disabling the CEL for the Cat.

My downpipe is catless because I couldn't find any other option at the time of tuning lol. I really wanted the Active Autowerkes but yea.... that thing is like gold these days.