What fuel do you use?

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
If we are discussing running 87 octane on vehicles closer to sea level, there will be a difference in performance. There’s a reason why tuners will only tune for 93 (or in my circumstance crappy California 91) or higher.

As OP posted earlier, the higher octane helps with knock resistance, another reason why people prefer running premium gas or E85. I will admit that OPs elevation plays a role in his circumstances, so I will concede to that debate. If there is no benefit in going with a higher octane fuel under his circumstances (I.E. noticeable power difference or minimal fluctuations in knock resistance), then go for it.
Oh there will definetly be a difference in performance at sea level. however based on the manual it looks like Toyota says its safe to run any octane rating (whithin reason). It does not mention that performance would stay the same nor would i expect it to.
Sponsored

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
So here is a bit of interesting information i found. In the Owners Manual for the 2021 Supra. It doesnt specifically say what octane is required or recommended.
Your manual must be different than mine. My manual, and the manual at toyota.com, makes a clear recommendation:

fuel.png

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
Your manual must be different than mine. My manual, and the manual at toyota.com, makes a clear recommendation:

fuel.png
I am in the US so i imagine some things might be different. I also got mine off of Toyota.com and it has numbers for Ethanol but not octane.

I did notice that it did say recommend. As far as i'm aware, recommend means you can use either. Required means you HAVE to use whatever octane is labeled on your fuel cap.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I am in the US so i imagine some things might be different. I also got mine off of Toyota.com and it has numbers for Ethanol but not octane.

I did notice that it did say recommend. As far as i'm aware, recommend means you can use either. Required means you HAVE to use whatever octane is labeled on your fuel cap.
i guess everybody should just start to lower octane gas from now on

painpals

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Eh. Thats literally the same argument my buddy has with shooting corrosive ammo though his AK. To me it just seems like a bad idea if you're trying to keep the car in optimal condition.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
In my non scientific experiments with gas mileage and 93 vs 89 gas i showed better fuel economy in a N54 and also a SL550 platforms.
was it worth the extra $$?
Probably not

The OP does not have access to high tier Octane anyway. So kind of moot.

More power to you and running what you want in your car. However, I can't help but think if you were really worried about the environment and the costs associated with additional octane or refinement- A Prius may be better suited to your lifestyle and concerns.

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
Gas mileage is indeed the result of a complex system interaction. Many things contribute as others have pointed out. You can see this in various tests of regular vs. premium fuel.

As just one example, Car & Driver did a regular vs. premium test . They found some cars got better on regular, others on premium. The biggest difference they saw was a BMW M5 which got 0.7 mpg better mileage on 91 octane compared to 93. Other cars showed a reverse effect.

Generally, 1) the differences are small, and 2) they vary considerably. With such small effects, it takes lots of data to reveal these trends. All that said, it's a simple fact that premium fuel is both slightly less dense and slightly lower in energy content. In real-world conditions, it would take lots of cars and lots of data to tease out this fact.

And I neglected a key variable in my original post. I did these tests in the winter. High-temperatures can exacerbate engine knock. I intend to repeat my monitoring tests this summer. It may be that in my case, regular case works fine in the winter, while higher grade (89 octane) is needed in the summer. We're fortunate that modern engine ECUs and apps allow easy monitoring of all these parameters, including knock detection.

Retrocade

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
It is funny every time I buy a new car and join the the forums for that car Here is the gas conversation. People put blinders on when it comes to gas for whatever reason you have the group that says only the top tier best highest octane is best or else your engine will blow up run like crap and gremlins will invade it destroying all the internals. Then the debates the comparisons the quantum physics break downs the memes LOL and even ugly comments ensue.

Here is the flat truth. The manual says the car can run on 89 lowest to 93 highest. which last time I looked is basically all gas? im sure some places still have 87 which is below what is stated so dont use it. other then that put what ever gas you want to pay for in the car.

The recommended 93 is because thats what gets top performance out if the engine it is not because it causes any damage if you dont. It plainly says in the manual you MAY get a knock...MAY... it also plainly says this does not cause any damage to the engine. I personally put 89 in when its a week of just daily driving to work. why spend the extra cash when its not needed. my weekends and spirted driving days I put 93 in.

use what you want for what ever reason you want its your car and your money. but using 89 isn't gonna damage your car and i can almost 100% tell you most people wont feel a hill of beans in performance difference in everyday commuting driving. They say they do but naaaa its all butt dyno LOL.

Retrocade

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
Here is another gas argument to scratch your head over. The people who will say 10% ethanol gas is garbage because the ethanol eats up metal and is corrosive to the engines so they wont run anything but pure gas. (which is hard to find and typically costs more) . Then those same people will later go and get a e85 mod and claim its the best thing ever. so 10% is bad and they talk crap about it but 85% is ok and isnt bad.. LOL gas arguments are funny cause there is like zero truth and its all people trying to push their options. And I personally never keep a car long enough to care what gas is doing what. in my over 38 cars I have owned I have had zero gas related problems ever. Just use what the manual says and you are fine. which is 89 to 93.

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
People put blinders on when it comes to gas for whatever reason
It's mainly psychology. Being exposed to marketing 24/7/365 has conditioned nearly everyone to think expensive=better. Lots of great research here. Among my favorites is perceptions of wine change depending on the price. You can put cheap wine in an expensive bottle, and most folks will rate it higher, even trained Sommeliers.

Retrocade

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
It's mainly psychology. Being exposed to marketting 24/7/365 has conditioned nearly everyone to think expensive=better. Lots of great research here. Among my favorites is perceptions of wine change depending on the price. You can put cheap wine in an expensive bottle, and most folks will rate it higher, even trained Sommeliers.
LOL yup. Im guessing you read the same study where they took cheap table wine and put it in 20 different high end wine bottles and then invited the top wine critics and every wine critic reviewed the wines as if they were the real wine LOL saying this one is defiantly better and you can taste the quality in this one. when on and on about notes and price and quality. then they were told the truth and they all got pissed off cause they were all basically full of crap.

Its like gas. gas is gas is gas. you can only make gas one way or it isn't gas any more its something else. Like water add a molecule and guess what its not water any more now its Hydrogen peroxide. All gas is made the same way . pumped in the same pipes and dispersed in the same trucks. The same truck will take gas to shell and joe bobs gas station. The only difference is a quart of cleaner in 10k gallons. And that quart of cleaner has nothing to do with performance but for cleaning. and guess what.. all gas has cleaners in it. people who swear shell is better then say the corner market kill me . some people love to just spend money. oh and another fun fact top tier... its a marketing gimmick . the trade mark is owned by GM Motor company not even gas company. It is no different the the old BP gas is recommended that use to be printed on the gas caps of some cars.

Drillerkc74

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 supra black on black
i chuckle when people pay 68k canadian for a car and lose sleep over the gas cost. doesnt make sense

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
i chuckle when people pay 68k canadian for a car and lose sleep over the gas cost. doesnt make sense
Exactly. It's the dumbest thing ever. 50k+ U.S to buy and then worry about gas cost. Put in what it requires or buy a Corolla that runs on 87 just fine.

Retrocade

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
or people who worry over gas mileage. The car gets what it gets and uses the gas it uses. There really isn't much sense in always worrying about gas mileage. Cause there is very little you can do to change it.
Sponsored