Not open for further replies.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
You asked so I’ll give you the long story long.

I remember when the Toyota FRS first came out in 2011-2012, I had the first preorder at my local dealer. My fiancé went with me to test drive it and it was an immediate no from her since it didn’t have a back seat for car seats, the last thing on my mind in my early 20s, but went along with it and backed out. Even then the rumors of a BMW and Toyota Supra were in the works and I made a mental note to check on that over the next 8 years. In the mean time I was staying busy with an old E30 325is, tried to go Porsche, in fact I found probably the most depreciated Porsche 964 C2 in the country that wasn’t a pile of shit and road worthy for 12K…but again the wife said no since it didn’t have a back seat. So played along again and eventually got me a real M car, E28 M5 that I thought would make up for the pit falls of the E30, which did as far as power, but was a heavy car and was no where near as toss-able as the E30. I went even heavier with an E24 M6 coupe, the shark as they call it which was terrible in the handling department. We finally had those kids my wife was planning for for the last decade and sold all by cars. Finally the Supra was about to come out and I was in love with the size, like a modern day Porsche 964 size wise which I lusted for for so long. I was first on the list at my dealer for a launch edition and despite my wife’s input on it not having back seats for car seats I bought it anyways. I was in love, as toss-able as my old little E30 but with the big power I always wanted like in the Porsches. I ended up getting rid of that because my 3rd child was on the way and ya know the whole back seat thing. Eventually the manual came out I said hell with these kids I’m getting what I really want and pissed everyone off on pulling the trigger on the A91 MT. No regrets, I’m not getting rid of this and I’ve already taken it to the track and want to be one of those track rats. Living my best life finally. Fuck them kids.
Can’t wait to see you on track! The more Supras out there the better 🏎 💨
Sponsored

Ryanthetemp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Past: E28 M5, E24 M6, E30 325is
@FLtrackdays what organization to you participate in? I just did my first nasa event at Nola motor way. Wish I could get down to south florida but that’s about 7 hrs from my part of florida.

carguy4ycc

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
(2) '98 Supras TT, '20 Supra Launch Edition, '82 Supra, '91 MR2, '95 Tacoma, '00 Integra Type R, '91 NSX, '94 Celica GT, '21 Supra A91 Refraction Blue
Cool Thread....Nice Reads.
Could go on and on, will keep it short. Raised up in a family that bought Toyotas. Parents divorced when I was 12. Went to live with with my father when I was 15. He bought (and financed from a friend) a '83 Celica Supra for me. But I wasn't 16 yet and couldn't drive it. Well, it got repo'd prior to me getting to drive it. Fell in love with Supra's in the late 80's and have followed them since.
First one I bought was a '86.5 Supra in early '90's. I am turning 50 this year, and have a little collection of Supra's. Wishing current Supra's were all Toyota, but understand what's at hand.
The pics attached are me peeking in on my Launch model when I got word my car came in. Then the dealer asked me to bring in my '98s in when I picked up the Launch to do a little photo op and put in the local paper. If you Google the dealer, even today they use the photo as a main photo on Google. ***No affiliation with them.
"What Made You Choose Your Car?" ......True Supra enthusiast here.

Supra lot.jpg

Supra lot1.jpg

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 964, Tacoma, 2021 Absolute Zero Premium
My 911 964 got way too valuable to keep. I was becoming a little scared to drive it due to its value increase, as well in order to keep its value I had to keep up with all the very particular maintenance, and documentation from a reputable Porsche shop. That would tun me between $5k and $10k per year. I decided to sell it for those reasons.
I looked around at cars in the range, I looked at the Cayman S and the Toyota 8600 both great cars but for what I was getting for the 964 I could go bigger. I also looked at the C8 but that’s a lot of HP for the track, plus Corvettes have a somewhat bad rep for quality.

I like the BMW Toyota JV on this as coming from 3 Porsches I felt like I was going to do well with another German sports car.
oh, it looks great Too!

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
To add to my story. I also wanted a Supra because when I was a kid, my mom had a red Supra. It was a car that we all had fond memories in, driving around and singing the "Pointer Sisters" haha. I wanted to keep those memories fresh and take the torch so to speak and also own a Supra one day.

Marsone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ISF, FRS
Like many others, I come from a Toyota family, so to speak. Before I was born, my mom owned a red AE92 Corolla GTS w/ a 5speed, and I remember how cool I used to think it was while growing up. If that’s not enough, she was a big Supra fan, and went to buy a red A80, and got cold feet because she found out she was pregnant with me, on that same day. Fast forward 30 years, and I somehow ended up with a red ISF, as well as a ,you guessed it, yellow supra.

BigRon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MK5 A90
I’m in the same position as many of you, I was looking for a new car with some decent whp and affordable fuel consumption bcs I’m driving a lot. Like more than 20k miles a year.
So it should be a smooth ride when going for long range while also being able to do some racing. (Mountains, track, highway)

Options were Cayman, M2, M4, 850i, C63
tbh I didn’t even know there was a new Supra back then :)

So Cayman was way too loud and not really comfortable for big ppl like me :)

M2 M4 and 850i were quite expensive in buying and for maintenance stuff.

C63 is also quite expensive in buying and for maintenance and also has some engine problems.

Then a coworker told me that there is a new Supra which is being build in Austria.
I’m from that country so I had to support my ppl there and bought it. :D

Now with some mods I got the perfect car for my needs and I’m really happy with it.

Only downside is it draws a lot of attention as you know too for sure so I end up talking to a lot of strangers about cars. But it’s ok I like it sometimes :)

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
@FLtrackdays what organization to you participate in? I just did my first nasa event at Nola motor way. Wish I could get down to south florida but that’s about 7 hrs from my part of florida.
Love NASA, Chin Motorsports and Performance Driving Group (latter for the more experienced). I float between them all depending on who has an open track weekend when I’m not working.

Cool Thread....Nice Reads.
Could go on and on, will keep it short. Raised up in a family that bought Toyotas. Parents divorced when I was 12. Went to live with with my father when I was 15. He bought (and financed from a friend) a '83 Celica Supra for me. But I wasn't 16 yet and couldn't drive it. Well, it got repo'd prior to me getting to drive it. Fell in love with Supra's in the late 80's and have followed them since.
First one I bought was a '86.5 Supra in early '90's. I am turning 50 this year, and have a little collection of Supra's. Wishing current Supra's were all Toyota, but understand what's at hand.
The pics attached are me peeking in on my Launch model when I got word my car came in. Then the dealer asked me to bring in my '98s in when I picked up the Launch to do a little photo op and put in the local paper. If you Google the dealer, even today they use the photo as a main photo on Google. ***No affiliation with them.
"What Made You Choose Your Car?" ......True Supra enthusiast here.
Great story! I ventured on the wrong “Supra“ forum and glad you don’t have all the angst I found there against this modern beauty… For the money, this car is absolutely wonderful! I met a guy yesterday that did something really high up at Silverstone in the UK. Anyway, he couldn’t wrap his head around how Toyota is doing something this capable for thousands less than its BMW counterpart. I had to be a “wanker” (insert British accent) and also add that it weighs less & is more rigid (compared to the convertible). Granted I’m tracking the car and realize that’s not for everyone. But it sure is cool to know this torque monster 👹 can easily hang with the Cayman kids at a fraction of the price.

Disclaimer: I still want a Porsche GT4 someday. When my other two Porsches 👫🏼 finish college 🤫

mr_sparkle6666

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
I live in NH where we get many feet of snow. Had a beautiful Focus RS that was a monster in the snow. Drove the Supra when a dealer had a used one ‘for fun’. Wow. I had to have it and trade in on the RS was fantastic on the time. It just drives so great. I love the small cabin. Low seat. And the white in person is jaw dropping . Absolutely zero supras around me. I’m in love.
Not sure you meant to do this, probably funnier if you didn’t.
Mine is white too and I 100% agree. The white is just great

tucker90

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0 Premium AT Absolute Zero
New (Supra) vs used (M2). My OCD made me choose new.
Same here. Loved the M2 competition as well but the fact that a 2020-2021 with 10k-20k miles was the same price (maybe 1-2k less) than a brand new 2023 premium, just tipped the scales slightly in the Supras favor. Oh and the looks and ride height makes it feel more special than the M2. Loved that S55 and DCT pairing though but the B58 and ZF8 are not far behind.

Armin90

First Name
Armin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
Best sports car for the value - I went from an LC500 to a 2020 Supra to an A91-MT Supra. For the price there is nothing else that is as unique as the Supra for under $60k.

Being unique is a nice bonus for me personally. The styling of the Supra is one of the best I've seen and it is timeless. I'm a BMW fan boy as well so the B58 with Toyota Quality is a WIN WIN.

My other choice: G80 M3 - impossible to order a manual, still on the wailist. Honestly if I could order the M3 or Supra at the same time - that be a real tough choice. I'd go Supra if I could get a special edition one, if not I'd personalize the G80 M3. I have an A91-MT and LOVE IT.

Compared to the G80 M3 the aftermarket world is a little more affordable than G80

Even a C8 for example, you see them on the streets allllllll the time. Toyota limits the production and reduces the supply every year to keep the demand high.
Look at their Launch Edition (world debut) and Special Editions (referred to as A91):
2020 A90 Launch Edition: limited run of 1500 (numbered badging)
Special Editions introduced the year after world debut
2021: A91 Supra - limited run of 1000
2022: A91-CF Supra -limited run of 600
2023: A91-MT Supra - limited run of 500

I think that is super cool of Toyota to do

LanceW

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
Wanted one since they were announced but ended up with a GR86. It was fun but always felt lacking in power. I have 2 M3s already and mostly work on BMWs. Some may find the Supras BMW base a turn off but for me it was a plus.
Dealer called me with a Supra available. One test drove and I loved it. Sold My GR86 to Carmax for 2K more than I paid.

trev_rs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium, '17 Abarth 124 Spider
I remember when the Toyota FRS first came out in 2011-2012, I had the first preorder at my local dealer. My fiancé went with me to test drive it and it was an immediate no from her since it didn’t have a back seat for car seats, the last thing on my mind in my early 20s, but went along with it
My wife drove a 911 (996) with 2 car seats in the back. The only struggle was getting them initially mounted securely, after that, no problems.

The only time she complained was when it came time to sell the car.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
I bought my car because I wanted it.

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
Me and my big mouth... I said to my buddies one night at Starbucks two years that if ever Toyota makes the Supra with a manual transmission then I would go get one.... TA-DAH!!!

331166756_881555489727868_5490345847654071255_n.jpg
Gotta be a man of your word, glad to see you living the dream though
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.