What oil grade can we use?

mkv_ppf

First Name
Bar
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
I’ve been searching for that answer for a while because I can’t find any confirmed answer

Btw I am using 5w-40 by Eni with a grade of LL-01
wondering if anyone uses a diffrent LL grade (LL-01FE/LL-04/etc..)
Sponsored

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Everyone loves Liqui Moly here and the weight is up to you dependent on your use. 0-20 for gas mileage and heavier viscosity for racing, tracking, etc. With that being said, this would be what the manufacturer recommends:

https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/us/top-tec-6600-sae-0w-20-p004918.html#22044

And a nice little thread explaining it further:

https://www.motorstate.com/oilviscosity-htm/

and another oil thread here on this site:

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/yet-another-oil-thread.13466/#post-199349

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
W/ ESG on the rise in the last decades, and unclear on the priorities of the automakers on MPG or logevity of engine, I would bet that their top reason to recommend 0w20 is primarily for MPG.

For our cars, I switched to 0w30 as minimum viscosity range.
Screenshot 2022-12-19 093541.png

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
W/ ESG on the rise in the last decades, and unclear on the priorities of the automakers on MPG or logevity of engine, I would bet that their top reason to recommend 0w20 is primarily for MPG.

For our cars, I switched to 0w30 as minimum viscosity range.
Screenshot 2022-12-19 093541.png
Being in a warmer climate, what are your thoughts on the 5-30 like most are using for tracking? My ride will never see weather below freezing temps here in hot 🔥 and schweaty FL. Almost makes me want to get a 5 or 10w-40 or 50... Just kidding on the 50, that would have to be expensive as 🤬. But a 0/5/10w-40 would seem feasible in my case. Especially since we're going "against" the very general owner's manual guidelines which applies to every climate and condition of use in the USA lol.

I've been using 0-40 synthetic in other track cars and have had huge success! Even use it in my Honda generator, no issues whatsoever...

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I know the 5-30 will be fine @underdonk. And I'm not about to get upset with different oil viscosity opinions. So what the hell, why not ask for another opinion. I love learning more!

Monty22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW Z3, Supra
yay another oil thread.

All I can add is that I have used 5w40 Motul 8100 X-Cess Gen2 for 20 track days and oil reports have come back just fine.

You think using this exact oil type for daily use is overkill? Just the occasional pulls and canyon runs. Nothing crazy.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I know the 5-30 will be fine @underdonk. And I'm not about to get upset with different oil viscosity opinions. So what the hell, why not ask for another opinion. I love learning more!
I hear ya. I run LiquiMoly 5w30, FWIW.

I just wish I weren't having all this oil consumption...

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
Being in a warmer climate, what are your thoughts on the 5-30 like most are using for tracking? My ride will never see weather below freezing temps here in hot 🔥 and schweaty FL. Almost makes me want to get a 5 or 10w-40 or 50... Just kidding on the 50, that would have to be expensive as 🤬. But a 0/5/10w-40 would seem feasible in my case. Especially since we're going "against" the very general owner's manual guidelines which applies to every climate and condition of use in the USA lol.

I've been using 0-40 synthetic in other track cars and have had huge success! Even use it in my Honda generator, no issues whatsoever...
First of all, I'm just providing mainly qualitative value so you can interpret the information how you like.

If you can track down the oil clearance of your main and rod bearing, it will likely be somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.0015 - 0.0025", the literature will suggest oil of #w20 to #w40 for typical operating temp. See article here or here. If you look at enough service manual the bearing clearance has a range, so jumping from 0w20 to 0w30 is reasonable. To jump from 0w20 to 0w40 might be a big leap.

Again, for me to move away from the manufacturer's recommendation is more of a bet than anything. YMMV

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah
First of all, I'm just providing mainly qualitative value so you can interpret the information how you like.

If you can track down the oil clearance of your main and rod bearing, it will likely be somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.0015 - 0.0025", the literature will suggest oil of #w20 to #w40 for typical operating temp. See article here or here. If you look at enough service manual the bearing clearance has a range, so jumping from 0w20 to 0w30 is reasonable. To jump from 0w20 to 0w40 might be a big leap.

Again, for me to move away from the manufacturer's recommendation is more of a bet than anything. YMMV
Good points! I followed @underdonk's @razorlab leads and got the package on another thread. Still have my stock 0-20. 5-30 would be a decent progression in the right direction living down here.