What other vehicle were you thinking of buying, if you did not buy the Supra?

nc_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Pro
I had a look at a few:

• Alpine A110
  • M2 Comp
  • M340i
  • 718 Cayman T
  • Cayman GTS
  • 991.1 Carrera
  • Macan GTS
Sponsored

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I strongly considered the Macan GTS myself. Then I decided that eventually my back will probably prohibit me from driving a small sports car before too long... so I'd better get as much time in them as I can before then.

Well, I suppose I could do some weight training and then my back would probably not hurt as much... but that sounds a lot like work. :thumbsdown: So maybe in 10-15 years I'll try one (the Macan... not weight training probably).

ZtoSupra

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ā€˜20 Supra, ā€˜08 FJ; traded ā€˜03 Touring Z
I've been saying that the Golf R for me is the car I should buy but not really the car I want LOL. It really checks a ton of boxes. I was probably a little too harsh on my comment regarding them. While it didn't completely wow me I still had a lot of fun driving it. The price is appealing as well! A person would have to buy used though as they've stopped production while we are waiting on the new version but isn't due until late 2021 or sometimes 2022.

I've only spent a short bit of time behind a GTR and it was on track. It was lovely and really ate up the road course. I didn't get to spend any time seeing how it's road manners were though. I also drove a Huracan that same day on track which kind of over shadowed the GTR experience.
Yeah, those Golfs never excited me...

nc_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Pro
What were your thoughts on the cayman as compared to the Supra?
TL;DR incase I start waffling: I think the Cayman is probably the marginally better car on a good road, but day to day the Supra fits better for me.

I had a base 718 Cayman before the Supra so my initial plan was to upgrade to the T or 4.0 GTS. In the end I couldnā€™t justify the cost of the GTS - Ā£20k over a base before options just for the 4.0 - and as good as the T is I thought it a bit too single-minded and uncompromising. Iā€™d imagine in the scheme of Porscheā€˜s cars, my ideal next step would be to a 911 but thatā€™s a car for a little later.

So I realised I wanted something just a tinge softer than my 718, which is where the Supra fit the bill.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
So I realised I wanted something just a tinge softer than my 718, which is where the Supra fit the bill.
I felt the same (had a 2016 Cayman briefly) as far as the roads were concerned. Also agree with you re: Porsche options... it essentially makes buying new one a non-starter for me. Although the base models have gotten a bit better since then, it still takes nearly $15K in "upgrades" to approach the safety and creature-comfort options of a Kia Optima. Really?!? :crazy:

The adjustable damping in the MKV was the icing on the cake... tight enough to feel exciting in sport mode, and loose enough to make driving on crap roads bearable in normal mode.

nc_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Pro
I felt the same (had a 2016 Cayman briefly) as far as the roads were concerned. Also agree with you re: Porsche options... it essentially makes buying new one a non-starter for me. Although the base models have gotten a bit better since then, it still takes nearly $15K in "upgrades" to approach the safety and creature-comfort options of a Kia Optima. Really?!? :crazy:

The adjustable damping in the MKV was the icing on the cake... tight enough to feel exciting in sport mode, and loose enough to make driving on crap roads bearable in normal mode.
The whole thing with options with Porsche is something I float between thinking: ā€œOk, I get this, youā€™re giving the best car you can make, and then I choose a la carte how I want itā€ and ā€œThatā€™s Ā£64k and isnā€™t as well specā€™d as our i30 Nā€

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
A lot of really good other vehicle options listed here. It's one I'm struggling with currently. Need something with speed in my life. I've had like 25 different cars over the past 15 years or so and the last several years I haven't had a sporty vehicle. The Supra is definitely on this list of options but I'm struggling. At it's price point you can buy so many different options. I think as for new, it's hard to beat for what it offers but there's a ton of used cars that fit around that $50k price. I like a lot of different stuff, 2 doors and performance sedans.

Some options I've been entertaining but am at a loss

MK5 Supra
RS3
Golf R
CTS-V newest gen.
GTR
Jaguar F-type R
C6 ZR1
C7 Z06
C63S AMG
S4
911 (997 or 991 possibly)
Cayman

One thing that constantly comes to mind when thinking about an option is depreciation. Some of these cars have a lot of depreciation that comes with them, I dont know if I can stomach that. The 911 probably makes the most sense out of all of those but they have extremely high maintenance and potential repair cost. Hmm... Options.. options..
Cars are a depreciating asset, no question about it. It's always been pay me now or pay me later. lol. Some cars do better than others but for the most part they still loose value. Then there is maintenance and repairs on a 10 year old European car. A new Supra with a fresh warranty is nice if you have any anxiety about repair cost. Of course the trade off is new car depreciation verses repair cost on used 10-12 year old 911.

Mountain_Bound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
16' Wrangler Rubicon, 13' 4Runner Trail, 13' R56S
Cars are a depreciating asset, no question about it. It's always been pay me now or pay me later. lol. Some cars do better than others but for the most part they still loose value. Then there is maintenance and repairs on a 10 year old European car. A new Supra with a fresh warranty is nice if you have any anxiety about repair cost. Of course the trade off is new car depreciation verses repair cost on used 10-12 year old 911.
Absolutely, never said they weren't. I've done very well over the years with the 23 cars I've owned. Just bought the right ones and at the right time. Would like to continue that.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Iā€™m looking for a fun car to drive, good value bang for the buck. I worked my way down to the bottom of this list and am back up hovering around the Supra currently.

F-Type
Cayman
C8
Supra
Miata

Long spectrum across classes, but the more I considered fun as my primary factor it sent me down acknowledging the better value. Very much considering The new Miata (stigma and all) but their whole dealer setup is so fly-by-night, and lurking their forum where most threads end up as an argument over lack of bright colors and complaining about key fobs. So come on Toyota and flood us with the 2021ā€™s and stop the dealers from marking them up! Hurry up before I buy a Miata!
Like others on this thread you have identified some really fun cars for your short list.
Absolutely, never said they weren't. I've done very well over the years with the 23 cars I've owned. Just bought the right ones and at the right time. Would like to continue that.
I am like you. Owned quite few cars. Your list is loaded with fun cars. I have owned some of them.

Realistically a new 2021 Limited can be bought for $50K-$52K depending on options. 2020s are even a better deal with the larger cash rebates and 0%. It's tough to get that kind of fun and performance with a new car warranty for that money.

For $50K-$52K it be hard to find a mint, low mile, well kept, creampuff C7 Z06, 997.2, 991. They are all still holding values pretty strong. The 911 are probably $10K-$20K more for good ones. I am most surprised with how well values are holding on C7s. Only reason I'd go for a C7 is for the manual. The Supra ZF is a lot better automatic than the problematic autos in the C7s. No deals on C8s yet. Miata sales actually went up about 11% ytd due to covid. Used values are high because of that. I'd probably go new if choosing a Miata. It's not uncommon to get $4K-$6K off msrp on a loaded Club or GT in Jan/Feb when 2021s are on lots. On 2020s there's $750 in Mazda Loyalty plus $500 cash and 0% in some regions. You mentioned you wanted "power" so not sure if a Miata will satisfy for long? Definitely a really fun car though. The F-type has huge depreciation but great CPO program. One of the best CPO cars to buy. That and big depreciation make it a decent buy. A Cayman is fun but under powered. The chassis is so capable. I think most people would get bored of it and want more power. Personally I'd pass on a base and buy a Cayman S, probably a 981-series, if I did not buy a new Supra 3.0. I'd just allocate $3K-$5K for repairs in case anything went BOOM.

Mountain_Bound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Like others on this thread you have identified some really fun cars for your short list.

I am like you. Owned quite few cars. Your list is loaded with fun cars. I have owned some of them.

Realistically a new 2021 Limited can be bought for $50K-$52K depending on options. 2020s are even a better deal with the larger cash rebates and 0%. It's tough to get that kind of fun and performance with a new car warranty for that money.

For $50K-$52K it be hard to find a mint, low mile, well kept, creampuff C7 Z06, 997.2, 991. They are all still holding values pretty strong. The 911 are probably $10K-$20K more for good ones. I am most surprised with how well values are holding on C7s. Only reason I'd go for a C7 is for the manual. The Supra ZF is a lot better automatic than the problematic autos in the C7s. No deals on C8s yet. Miata sales actually went up about 11% ytd due to covid. Used values are high because of that. I'd probably go new if choosing a Miata. It's not uncommon to get $4K-$6K off msrp on a loaded Club or GT in Jan/Feb when 2021s are on lots. On 2020s there's $750 in Mazda Loyalty plus $500 cash and 0% in some regions. You mentioned you wanted "power" so not sure if a Miata will satisfy for long? Definitely a really fun car though. The F-type has huge depreciation but great CPO program. One of the best CPO cars to buy. That and big depreciation make it a decent buy. A Cayman is fun but under powered. The chassis is so capable. I think most people would get bored of it and want more power. Personally I'd pass on a base and buy a Cayman S, probably a 981-series, if I did not buy a new Supra 3.0. I'd just allocate $3K-$5K for repairs in case anything went BOOM.
If I were to buy a 997.2 or 991 I'd most likely ending up spending upper 50's low 60's to acquire the right one.

A miata is not even in the cards for me. I understand why people buy them, just not a car for me personally.

Looked at a f-type r this past weekend, one of the best looking/sounding cars out there but I agree with the depreciation. Even with this one being a 2016 it looks like it would potentially drop around $10k in value within a year of ownership. Decided between that and some of the finicky items on them it wasn't a good choice.

Rented a 981 cayman s on turo a month or so ago. It was fantastic and a solid driving experience. It could be just a tad quicker to be perfect but felt the power was adequate and didn't feel like I would be facing felony speeding charges owning something like this haha. I've had a some 600hp modified cars through the years and while a lot of fun, you are doubling if not tripling the speed limit often to fully enjoy the car.

The supra is till in the cards for sure. Just taking my time to buy something that I really want. If I could do a test drive/ride in one that might pursued me to make a purchase. The local dealers are stingy with that and want you to finalize a deal before allowing you to drive one. The problem is I don't know if I even want one and wont know until I get to drive one.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
If I were to buy a 997.2 or 991 I'd most likely ending up spending upper 50's low 60's to acquire the right one.

A miata is not even in the cards for me. I understand why people buy them, just not a car for me personally.

Looked at a f-type r this past weekend, one of the best looking/sounding cars out there but I agree with the depreciation. Even with this one being a 2016 it looks like it would potentially drop around $10k in value within a year of ownership. Decided between that and some of the finicky items on them it wasn't a good choice.

Rented a 981 cayman s on turo a month or so ago. It was fantastic and a solid driving experience. It could be just a tad quicker to be perfect but felt the power was adequate and didn't feel like I would be facing felony speeding charges owning something like this haha. I've had a some 600hp modified cars through the years and while a lot of fun, you are doubling if not tripling the speed limit often to fully enjoy the car.

The supra is till in the cards for sure. Just taking my time to buy something that I really want. If I could do a test drive/ride in one that might pursued me to make a purchase. The local dealers are stingy with that and want you to finalize a deal before allowing you to drive one. The problem is I don't know if I even want one and wont know until I get to drive one.
We are both pretty much on the same page.

I have owned several 911s and other Porsches. Porsche makes some of the worlds best driving cars at any price. You are targeting or considering the right ones. The 2009, 997.2 and up are pretty reliable and bulletproof. The 991 has a nicer interior and better car overall. It's expensive but worth the upgrade for a good one. The 981 Cayman S and Boxster S are an excellent balance between power and handling. I prefer the driving dynamics of a 981 Cayman S more than my old 997.2 C4S. Not as powerful but more satisfying to drive. You really can't go wrong with ether. Make sure you check the DME reports for whatever one you consider. And know going in to allocate a few grand for any unforeseen repairs.

The Supra was not even my radar until a few months ago. I was not really a fan initially. I remember seeing it at auto shows and only stopping briefly to look. The only thing I really remember was hitting my head getting in and out. lol. I guess the exterior design was a little too polarizing at the time to me? I was also a little put off by the BMW partnership. Fast forward to earlier this year and covid. Originally I had a deposit on a C8 and covid screwed up the plans. I dropped the C8 idea until production and QC get better. I thought I would get a C7 to drive while waiting for the C8. I went to a dealer to drive a used C7 and they happen to have a used 2020 Supra Launch Edition. The Supra only had a few hundred miles on it. I was not really interested in the Supra but figured what the hell since I was there? I took the Supra out, back to back with the C7. I was pleasantly surprised at how it drove. I LOVED it! I actually liked it more than the C7. My only concern was the rear feeling loose or not feeling very confidence inspiring? From that day forward the Supra became a top contender for my next car. My only concern was the looseness of the rearend. I test drove a 2021 Supra and to my surprise it did not feel loose like the Launch Edition? That was about the time I found this forum and learned about the changes between the 2020 and 2021. The retuned steering, suspension, LSD, etc. I wanted confirmation so I test drove a few more 2020's and 2021s. I definitely prefer the 2021. I drove a few more fun cars after that and I keep coming back to the Supra. I most likely am buying a 2021 soon.

I highly recommend test driving a few. I think the Supra will jump ahead on your list of cars once you try one. Dealers don't like giving test-drives on new Supras. Search for dealers who have used ones. They will more likely allow longer test-drives. One dealer let me take out a used Supra for over a hour on an extended test drive several times.

Long story short, I feel the Supra is REALLY fun and a LOT of bang for the buck. Easily as much fun as a Porsche but in a different way. A new P-Car is nuts today cost wise. I can't think of many other new cars that are as fun for the money as a Supra. Forget msrp. You can buy a brand new 2021 3.0 Limited w/ driver package for $50K-$52K now. About $3.5K less and 0% if you don't mind a leftover 2020 3.0. The 2020 is a steal with all the rebates and 0%.

Last edited:

Mountain_Bound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

I have owned several 911s and other Porsches. Porsche makes some of the worlds best driving cars at any price. You are targeting or considering the right ones. The 2009, 997.2 and up are pretty reliable and bulletproof. The 991 has a nicer interior and better car overall. It's expensive but worth the upgrade for a good one. The 981 Cayman S and Boxster S are an excellent balance between power and handling. I prefer the driving dynamics of a 981 Cayman S more than my old 997.2 C4S. Not as powerful but more satisfying to drive. You really can't go wrong with ether. Make sure you check the DME reports for whatever one you consider. And know going in to allocate a few grand for any unforeseen repairs.

The Supra was not even my radar until a few months ago. I was not really a fan initially. I remember seeing it at auto shows and only stopping briefly. The only thing I really remember was hitting my head getting in and out. lol. I guess the exterior design was a little too polarizing at the time for me? I was also a little put off by the BMW partnership. Fast forward to earlier this year and covid. Originally I had a deposit on a C8 and covid screwed up the plans. I dropped the C8 idea until production and QC get better. I thought I would get a C7 to drive while waiting for the C8. I went to a dealer to drive a used C7 and they happen to have a used 2020 Supra Launch Edition. The Supra only had a few hundred miles on it. I was not really interested in the Supra but figured what the hell since I was there? I took the Supra out, back to back with the C7. I was pleasantly surprised at how it drove. I LOVED it! I actually liked it more than the C7. My only concern was the rear feeling loose or not feeling very confidence inspiring? From that day forward the Supra became a top contender for my next car. My only concern was the looseness of the rearend. I test drove a 2021 Supra and to my surprise it did not feel loose like the Launch Edition? That was about the time I found this forum and learned about the changes between the 2020 and 2021. The retuned steering, suspension, LSD, etc. I wanted confirmation so I test drove a few more 2020's and 2021s. I definitely prefer the 2021. I drove a few more fun cars after that and I keep coming back to the Supra. I most likely am buying a 2021 soon.

I highly recommend test driving a few. I think the Supra will jump ahead on your list of cars once you try one. Dealers don't like giving test-drives on new Supras. Search for dealers who have used ones. They will more likely allow longer test-drives. One dealer let me take out a used Supra for over a hour on an extended test drive several times.

Long story short, I feel the Supra is REALLY fun and a LOT of bang for the buck. Easily as much fun as a Porsche but in a different way. A new P-Car is nuts today cost wise. I can't think of many other new cars that are as fun for the money as a Supra. Forget msrp. You can buy a brand new 2021 3.0 Limited w/ driver package for $50K-$52K now. About $3.5K less and 0% if you don't mind a leftover 2020 3.0.

The Supra was not even my radar until a few months ago. I was not really a fan initially. I remember seeing it at auto shows and only stopping briefly. The only thing I really remember was hitting my head getting in and out. lol. I guess the exterior design was a little too polarizing at the time for me? I was also a little put off by the BMW partnership. Fast forward to earlier this year and covid. Originally I had a deposit on a C8 and covid screwed up the plans. I dropped the C8 idea until production and QC get better. I thought I would get a C7 to drive while waiting for the C8. I went to a dealer to drive a used C7 and they happen to have a used 2020 Supra Launch Edition. The Supra only had a few hundred miles on it. I was not really interested in the Supra but figured what the hell since I was there? I took the Supra out, back to back with the C7. I was pleasantly surprised at how it drove. I LOVED it! I actually liked it more than the C7. My only concern was the rear feeling loose or not feeling very confidence inspiring? From that day forward the Supra became a top contender for my next car. My only concern was the looseness of the rearend. I test drove a 2021 Supra and to my surprise it did not feel loose like the Launch Edition? That was about the time I found this forum and learned about the changes between the 2020 and 2021. The retuned steering, suspension, LSD, etc. I wanted confirmation so I test drove a few more 2020's and 2021s. I definitely prefer the 2021. I drove a few more fun cars after that and I keep coming back to the Supra. I most likely am buying a 2021 soon.

Long story short, I feel the Supra is REALLY fun and a LOT of bang for the buck. Easily as much fun as a Porsche but in a different way. A new P-Car is nuts today cost wise. I can't think of many other new cars that are as fun for the money as a Supra. Forget msrp. You can buy a brand new 2021 3.0 Limited w/ driver package for $50K-$52K now. About $3.5K less and 0% if you don't mind a leftover 2020 3.0.
The Supra being fun.. I don't think you're alone on that. I've heard others mention this as well, wish I could get behind the wheel of one. I tried working a deal on an a91 a couple months ago but they had a markup and were trying to screw me out of my super clean 4runner trade. Kind of was turned off so haven't really been looking at them since.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
The Supra being fun.. I don't think you're alone on that. I've heard others mention this as well, wish I could get behind the wheel of one. I tried working a deal on an a91 a couple months ago but they had a markup and were trying to screw me out of my super clean 4runner trade. Kind of was turned off so haven't really been looking at them since.
I do not know about today but used values were off the charts a few months ago. They actually went UP in value substantially. As in dealers and companies like Carvana were buying any "good" used inventory they could get for a premium. I could not resist the unbelievable deal I was offered. I sold a car I was not planning on selling. It was more than retail from last year. I'd test the water and place a ad on Autotrader or something. Or plug your 4Runner VIN into Carvana's website just to see what they offer. There's no commitment.

Here is a single opinion and video of a Supra V. Cayman GTS.

Last edited:

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
The old Supra.

It was my dream car for the longest time but just couldn't justify paying 50k for a 25 year old car with high miles, numerous owners, wear and tear, discontinued parts and no warranty. Perhaps part of me will always want one and if I win the lottery I would add a mkiv Supra to my garage, but the buy in price is ludicrous lol. I do get so much more for my money with the new one and all of the comforts and technology that comes with 25 years of progress.
Sponsored