What truck do you use for towing your Supra?

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
I'm going to start tracking my car once I move and I was wondering what truck everyone uses for towing. I would prefer a Tacoma as I hate driving large vehicles so I'd rather not buy a Tundra. Anyone towing their cars with a V6 or is a V8 pretty much a necessity?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Escapist

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
f250
you could do it if not enclosed and you keep the gear and spare sets down.
if you really start towing every month or more you are 100% going to want a bigger truck
It would definitely be an open trailer, doubt I'd get a house with a big enough driveway to have an enclosed trailer sitting around lol. I drove my coworkers big ass 3500 dually and that thing was intimidating.

Stupendous

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
A Tacoma is too small. I would go 3/4 ton if you can afford it and are doing long distances. Short in town distances 1/2 ton wouldn't be too scary.

Depending on the Tacoma model and Supra model

Tacoma GCWR (11,360lbs)
- Tacoma curb weight (4,505lbs)
- Supra 3.0 curb weight (3,400lbs)
- 16' to 18' open car hauler (~2,000lbs)

= 1,455lbs left for people, tools, fuel, track wheels and tires, etc

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to start tracking my car once I move and I was wondering what truck everyone uses for towing. I would prefer a Tacoma as I hate driving large vehicles so I'd rather not buy a Tundra. Anyone towing their cars with a V6 or is a V8 pretty much a necessity?
Iā€™ve got a 3rd gen Taco and 5th gen 4Runner. Get a full-size. I donā€™t tow the Supra, but have towed my old drift cars which weighed around 3,000 lbs without a trailer. You will hate towing so close to the weight limit on a midsize. The truck gets pushed around a lot, and the acceleration is pretty dismal.

I would suggest at minimum you get a Tundra, but would pick something bigger if towing a lot.

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
ABA8132E-96D9-4588-9C52-8385FF3A90E6.jpeg

One of my old rigs :p Those 3.5 EB engines were no joke as long as you didnā€™t mind the 10-12 mpg.

TimM.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra premium
I tow my Supra with a 2018 Tacoma 4X4 TRD off road 6' bed. It gets the job done but the main problem is the current 3.5L's Atkinson cycle it uses for fuel savings. If you keep it revving, power is okay but otherwise it's not fun. Stopping and all the other aspects are fine, just nothing in the low-rev range. If your primary purpose for getting the truck is towing, I suggest looking for something else, otherwise the truck is what you'd expect out of a highly-capable off-road truck.

Attachments

OP
OP
Escapist

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A Tacoma is too small. I would go 3/4 ton if you can afford it and are doing long distances. Short in town distances 1/2 ton wouldn't be too scary.

Depending on the Tacoma model and Supra model

Tacoma GCWR (11,360lbs)
- Tacoma curb weight (4,505lbs)
- Supra 3.0 curb weight (3,400lbs)
- 16' to 18' open car hauler (~2,000lbs)

= 1,455lbs left for people, tools, fuel, track wheels and tires, etc

I'd be moving to central FL and there's a couple tracks within 4 hours of the city I'll be in. I was looking at the TRD Pro model Tundra and I own a 3.0 Premium Supra.
One of my old rigs :p Those 3.5 EB engines were no joke as long as you didnā€™t mind the 10-12 mpg.
Jesus dude lol. I'd like a good getting around town vehicle too. I currently own a two seat sports car and a motorcycle. I could probably get one of these wholesale but damn that's a lot of vehicle.

I tow my Supra with a 2018 Tacoma 4X4 TRD off road 6' bed. It gets the job done but the main problem is the current 3.5L's Atkinson cycle it uses for fuel savings. If you keep it revving, power is okay but otherwise it's not fun. Stopping and all the other aspects are fine, just nothing in the low-rev range. If your primary purpose for getting the truck is towing, I suggest looking for something else, otherwise the truck is what you'd expect out of a highly-capable off-road truck.
I was hoping someone towed their cars with a V6 lol. It wouldn't just be for towing, I would like a practical vehicle as well since I only have a motorcycle and my MKV. The track/s I'd be going to will be about a 4 hour drive from where I'm moving and it would be mostly highway driving. I'll look into an all aluminum trailer as well to help keep the weight down if you have any suggestions.

Scratch that, I'll just rent a damn uhaul trailer whenever I go racing.

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
The V6 is going to work hard depending on the final ratio and torque, but it can be done especially with something like a Trailex. Iā€™ve been using the CT-7551 for a while, itā€™s like pulling nothing (weighs like 850 pounds).

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
get a 3/4 ton, I have a 2020 ram with the 5.7 hemi, and that has a 11k+ towing capacity, and tow my 6500lb humvee to go off road and I am selling the truck, even with a Uhual trailer the ram sways and feels under powered, Got a 3500 dually cummins instead. the supra isn't 6.5k, but I don't like towing then half of the capacity, I like it feeling effortless. Get the new F150 with the powerboost, can tow 12.7. Or any used diesel, it'll hold value and tow effortlessly. SRW powerstroke F250 is small enough to be easy to drive and off-road but capable to tow.

Probaholic1

First Name
Frankie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0, 2015 Fiesta ST, 2005 Audi A4b6 2.7
I wanted to get a polestar v60 to tow the supra and my bike and FiST. I guess that's out of the question.

jorligan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ferrari 458, McLaren 650S, Porsche GT3, Alfa 4C, Ford Raptor, Porsche Macan, 21 Supra Turbo
2018 Ford Raptor, 3.5 Ecoboost. Enclosed Aluma Trailer. No issues but haven't towed over mountains.

TimM.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra premium
Jesus dude lol. I'd like a good getting around town vehicle too. I currently own a two seat sports car and a motorcycle. I could probably get one of these wholesale but damn that's a lot of vehicle.

I was hoping someone towed their cars with a V6 lol. It wouldn't just be for towing, I would like a practical vehicle as well since I only have a motorcycle and my MKV. The track/s I'd be going to will be about a 4 hour drive from where I'm moving and it would be mostly highway driving. I'll look into an all aluminum trailer as well to help keep the weight down if you have any suggestions.

Scratch that, I'll just rent a damn uhaul trailer whenever I go racing.
I donā€™t want to frighten you from getting the Tacoma, Iā€™m just being as honest as possible. Other trucks with more capacity will be more satisfying on those relatively infrequent days you actually do tow your car but, the Tacoma gets the job done no problem and with plenty of safety in reserve.

My one and only frustration with this truck is that it requires you to keep the revs up any time you want power. When it is revved up, it has no issues pulling the Supra uphills and we have some pretty steep ones here in northern California. A UHaul trailer rental is $54 a day and money well spent in my opinion. When not towing, the Tacoma is badass as an off-road vehicle hands down.

jorligan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ferrari 458, McLaren 650S, Porsche GT3, Alfa 4C, Ford Raptor, Porsche Macan, 21 Supra Turbo
All of the F-150 have a V6 turbo. Dodge Ram also has a small diesel which can tow but gets better mpg.

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
I towed my 2020 supra from Minnesota to Wyoming with my 2003 dodge ram 2500 5.9 cummins. Got 17mpg on the way there and 14mph on the way back.
Sponsored