Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Little off topic, but I wonder how the new supra would do against a Shelby GT350. GT350 starts at 55.
The GT350 is a wondrous car, there is no doubt about it, and I think it is a cooler (subjective) car than the Vette by a wide margin. It is also very heavy and mind boggling it can even move, let alone be decent on track, but I guess that's testament to great body rigidity, excellent brakes, and a wonderful motor. that said, it is still slower 0-60 and 1/4 than the Vette or the Cayman, and it's a bit slower around the 'Ring unless were talking the R (+10k).

718 Cayman S/ C7 Corvette are 7:45/7:47 respectively and the GT350 did a 8:19, although some say it's a little faster (the R did it in 7:32 which is FAST)

Now, the car everyone here should be talking about is the ZL1... 7:29 on the 'Ring and it starts at $61k (right between the GT350 and 350R). That's a crazy machine for the money, and the 1LE version did it in an insane 7:16, making it the 15th fastest production car to ever run (for $69k no less). The only thing remotely close in price is the C7 Z06, which is $79k and only 3s faster.
Sponsored

Last edited:

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
The GT350 is a wondrous car, there is no doubt about it, and I think it is a cooler (subjective) car than the Vette by a wide margin. It is also very heavy and mind boggling it can even move, let alone be decent on track, but I guess that's testament to great body rigidity, excellent brakes, and a wonderful motor. that said, it is still slower 0-60 and 1/4 than the Vette or the Cayman, and it's a bit slower around the 'Ring unless were talking the R (+10k).

718 Cayman S/ C7 Corvette are 7:45/7:47 respectively and the GT350 did a 8:19, although some say it's a little faster (the R did it in 7:32 which is FAST)

Now, the car everyone here should be talking about is the ZL1... 7:29 on the 'Ring and it starts at $61k (right between the GT350 and 350R). That's a crazy machine for the money, and the 1LE version did it in an insane 7:16, making it the 15th fastest production car to ever run (for $69k no less). The only thing remotely close in price is the C7 Z06, which is $79k and only 3s faster.
So with that said, I'm sure Toyota is aware of this and have bench-marked and priced the car to suit. Ultimately are you happy with what you know performance wise on this Supra?

Timster1990

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti Q50
probably not as Gazoo lol, but that's just a name
Did you do the marketing on the Black Panther movie bro? Because the way you build hype is satisfying yet extremely frustrating, lol I want these GRMN hints/details now damnit! :banghead:

Could you maybe say what kind of competitor the GRMN version would blow past or take head on?

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
Little off topic, but I wonder how the new supra would do against a Shelby GT350. GT350 starts at 55.
Key Word is start, Dealers mark those things up so high and because they always have a demand can stay that way for years! I dunno how Ford people put up with it :/

Did you do the marketing on the Black Panther movie bro? Because the way you build hype is satisfying yet extremely frustrating, lol I want these GRMN hints/details now damnit! :banghead:

Could you maybe say what kind of competitor the GRMN version would blow past or take head on?
LOL He didn't but I can tell who did part of that marketing for that movie... It was LEXUS....

Blame Lexus? LOL

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
my friend that works for Lexus

LOL He didn't but I can tell who did part of that marketing for that movie... It was LEXUS....

Blame Lexus? LOL
My friend that works for Lexus had a hand in the deal for that movie, but to my knowledge I don't know any of the marketing staff involved haha.

As far as building hype, I agreed to assist the engineering team make this car a success and in my eyes that means talking to our community, even though I've been lambasted by some (looking at you Lexus Enthusiast) for 'leaking information.' Respectfully, none of the stuff I have commented on hurts the car (I'd argue the opposite actually), and there are still plenty of things to get excited about, some of which I'm not privy to (like a lot of the GR stuff for instance).

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
@Guff would you buy it at 55k-58k at 340 HP if it offered you a great drivers feeling? Or would you feel like you're probably not getting the best deal? Especially if you could hop into a well package low mileage used Porsche 911 or Cayman for that price.

I think a small part of me would feel like I'm not getting the best deal or bang for the buck.
Hell yeah lol. am not Guff but hell yeah. Why? because after buying a car other things come to play also...Insurance on Porsche vs Toyota. Maintenance on Porsche Vs Toyota. i feel like if the specs is right on this car i.e 3000lb with 340hp doing 0-60 in 3.8 seconds a lot of people would be snatching this baby up especially looking good like that.

plus why would you want to by a slightly used Porshe that cost the same with a brand new car with very close to similar performance lower insurance and maintenance fee?

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
I also think this car can achieve the 3.8 second especially when i think of the 06 Lexus IS350 with 306hp at crank with just 274tq heavier than this MKV and also naturally aspirated with a regular auto transmission from 2006 and able to do 0-60 in mid to high 4s mark.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
my friend that works for Lexus

My friend that works for Lexus had a hand in the deal for that movie, but to my knowledge I don't know any of the marketing staff involved haha.

As far as building hype, I agreed to assist the engineering team make this car a success and in my eyes that means talking to our community, even though I've been lambasted by some (looking at you Lexus Enthusiast) for 'leaking information.' Respectfully, none of the stuff I have commented on hurts the car (I'd argue the opposite actually), and there are still plenty of things to get excited about, some of which I'm not privy to (like a lot of the GR stuff for instance).

Neat! hmm I like to see the GR name but understand that it wouldn't work here, probably more of a headache in the big picture but could go either way.

I'd guess I wouldn't be surprised about who else is on the forums with you Toyota/Lexus BMW etc. Even some Lexus Enthusiast Admins are here.

Everyone on the forums appreciate all the hype you're creating and the engineers do too.

As for the more information stuff, If you asked me if I was in any position to, I'd just look the other way most of the time I just pretend I didn't see anything.
Sponsored