Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Focus RS is about $40kusd around here

M2 is 55k, Vette is 55k, RS3 os 55k, and A45 AMG is 78k
Wow, the A45 is the cheapest out of all those in au ($85k base, M2 is 95k base, RS3 ~90k base)

Vettes here are about $170k because we are RHD :S

Cayman is about $130k AUD

Also, I drove a 370Z before buying my GT86...

IMHO, despite being slower, the GT86 was a far better car. The truck engine in the zed annoyed me and it felt vastly inferior to the S15

I did end up swapping my GT86 for my RZ Supra with money my way, so no complaints :p

Timster1990

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti Q50
Yes, well said indeed @Guff. Let me ask a more dynamic question, @A70TTR this is directed at you as well.

As far as what you know and what you have experienced, whether it may be insider access or general knowledge from the forum. Pretend this car was not dubbed the Supra.

Do you believe that the hypothetical price of $55k compared to the current market competition, and rumored equipment and performance offering is enough for you to spend almost $60,000 from a car that did not bear the Supra name?

Then there is the question of how much car are you getting, specifically, are you comfortable with a relatively small interior as a DD.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I personally think that I'd answer that question as yes if it had a DCT or 6spd option. Do I believe that car is worth it being ZF8 equipped? For me? No.

Other than that, the only car worth a damn (IMO) in that price bracket is the vette, and that's the car I've always compared the Supras to as rivals of their time so it makes sense that would be a viable option. It (Stingray) has damn near the same specs as the Cayman S as well, 0-60 in 3.7s and 1/4 in 12s, and as a result is also a bargain in the same way the mkv is.

As to DD, I don't think I would DD the new car because I don't DD my old ones either lol (JZA70/ST205 GT4). I daily my Tundra TRD Pro or my Q50 3T. In other words, I wouldn't DD a Corvette or Cayman either lol.

Last edited:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
That said, my buddy has the Vette Z06 AT, and that thing is incredible in a way I never thought I'd experience outside of a manual or DCT, so maybe I need to go drive a sporty ZF8 equipped car to see how it responds to inputs.

ginsuown

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Nissan 350z, 2007 Honda Civic
$55k for 340 HP? Even at 2900 lbs, sorry man. Great balance or not, even though I can afford it, that is just not going to get it done for me.

Hopefully 55k is the GRMN price and hopefully the GRMN version is putting out higher HP and overall a generous track like package to justify that price.

Otherwise the standard version (340HP) needs to be in the 40's for me to buy it. All speculatively speaking of course.
I guess it depends on the level of performance you're looking for at the end of the day. If you want a Ferrari even an M car will never "do it for you."

But if you're looking at price, 55k is totally reasonable. Look at it this way - take an M2, already an amazing car, and in fact my dream car before I started following this new supra, shave off 600lbs, and probably improve the chassis. Just to be able to get a factory car at M2 power levels while losing 600lbs, we're lucky if that car comes close to the M2 in price.

With regards to the Cayman, based on all my lurking and reading A70TTR's posts, he mentioned that you don't beat an established competitor by offering identical performance for an identical price. You either undercut the price, or offer better performance and newer tech. From what it sounded like, this Supra will do both.

I don't know about you, but 0-60 in 3.8 is plenty for me. I drove the M4 Competition and I don't think I'd need more, especially for Autox. The value of light weight cannot be overstated.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Corvette has great performance no question, and has come along way, but in terms of fit/finish/reliability....lets compare that car in 4yrs and a new Supra...

Last edited:

SupraStew85

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1985 Supra (1jz vvti swap incoming) 2004 V8 4Runner
Guys, those of you concerned about the roumoured power figures need to have a reality check about the concept of power to weight ratio. So you people who say that 340hp isn't enough I encourage you to read this and open up your minds,
My stock 97 STI has 280-300hp from factory (280 from factory specs but thats JDM gentlemen agreement nonsense) but it only weighs 2900lbs. While I love my ma61 to the moon and back the Subaru is an absolute rocket in comparison. Even at a 140hp disadvantage, my bone stock Subaru is 1/2 a car length quicker then the most "raced up" from factory Mustang GT you can get, with 3:73 gears and an aftermarket tune, exhaust, and suspension (these cars have 435hp stock add on a few extra hp for the mods). Not only is my Subaru faster in a straight line, it absolutely murders the mustang in any corners and its only on very tame 205 tires. Driving each back to back its no comparison I had WAAAY more fun driving the Subaru.... why ? the Subaru weighs significantly less and is far more capable with less horsepower. The lesson ? a lightweight body with short gearing requires far less power to make it go just as fast as a heavyweight with more power.
If you want to complain about "this new car isn't doing it for you" power wise then maybe something along the lines of a muscle car would work better for you. But while you boast about big power figures we will not only be keeping up to you in the straights but murdering y'all in the corners:headbang:

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Guys, those of you concerned about the roumoured power figures need to have a reality check about the concept of power to weight ratio. So you people who say that 340hp isn't enough I encourage you to read this and open up your minds,
My stock 97 STI has 280-300hp from factory (280 from factory specs but thats JDM gentlemen agreement nonsense) but it only weighs 2900lbs. While I love my ma61 to the moon and back the Subaru is an absolute rocket in comparison. Even at a 140hp disadvantage, my bone stock Subaru is 1/2 a car length quicker then the most "raced up" from factory Mustang GT you can get, with 3:73 gears and an aftermarket tune, exhaust, and suspension (these cars have 435hp stock add on a few extra hp for the mods). Not only is my Subaru faster in a straight line, it absolutely murders the mustang in any corners and its only on very tame 205 tires. Driving each back to back its no comparison I had WAAAY more fun driving the Subaru.... why ? the Subaru weighs significantly less and is far more capable with less horsepower. The lesson ? a lightweight body with short gearing requires far less power to make it go just as fast as a heavyweight with more power.
If you want to complain about "this new car isn't doing it for you" power wise then maybe something along the lines of a muscle car would work better for you. But while you boast about big power figures we will not only be keeping up to you in the straights but murdering y'all in the corners:headbang:
Your Subaru is all wheel drive right?

ginsuown

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Nissan 350z, 2007 Honda Civic
Finally someone who understands power to weight!

Porsche has historically made "underpowered cars". The 911GT3 only has 339 ft-lbs from factory (albeit 500hp) and it starts at $144k. If you want numbers close to that I can name 10 cars for under $60k. In fact every 911 could be considered wayy, way overpriced if you're looking at JUST horsepower and comparing to its competitors. Just buy a Camaro if power for price is the only thing you're looking for.

But light weight and how the chassis is tuned is everything. The 225F/255R tires on this new Supra also hint at its light weight.