Why I'm NOT Hyped About The New Toyota Supra

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guff, I was wondering, would that angle + a dry sump system lower this engine pretty low? This would lower the CoG greatly right? I do agree that the costs and reliability would be greater, but maybe this is one of those costs that they agreed to take on? I'm just REALLY curious how an inline 6 can have a lower CoG than a flat 4......:popcorn: The engineer in me can't wait to see these nerdy details hahaha
Yeah, a dry sump would allow the engine to sit perhaps 2-4" lower, maybe more depending on the pan shape. The B58 has a fairly large pan with a rear sump, but of course a dry sump system has a pan as well, just smaller. FWIW, the LFA uses a V10 and has a 17.7" CoG, lower than the 86 by 0.4"; of course, the caveat being that it's dry sump. The M4 apparently is around 19.5" (according to forums, no real published info), and its a fairly big coupe with a similar slant 6 engine (and a carbon roof). I think perhaps Toyota managed to get the chassis and wet-sump engine low enough to just barely beat the 86's 18.1", probably by 0.1" at best lol. Either way, still impressive.
Sponsored

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
Is it just me or is everyone else excitement level is way down about this car? Has Toyota waited too long? Personally I lost interest, it may be a great car but itā€™s taking forever to release any info to keep me interested. No info means there is not much there really to get excited about. If it was different from the Z4 Toyota should be out there singing that song. Maybe itā€™s on purpose, to let everyone lower their expectations so when it does get revealed no one will care too much one way or another?

This is very unusual marketing for such a car considering we are only 6-8 months from the car hitting showrooms.

How excited are you? From 1-10, 10 being most excited, I am at a 4 right now.

Viselord

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru BRZ
Well, I am excited that the car is coming out, but I do feel like this is dragging out quite a bit now. Maybe like you said, we will be blind sighted by a sudden torrent of info. But I just want something to go on lol.

HcNine-Six

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
16ā€™ Scion tC 94ā€™ Supra 00ā€™ Lexus LS400
Since we have ran dry on anything coming from Toyota itā€™s really annoyed me but I check about every 2 hour LOL! Iā€™m at one of the plants right now and have the GR Supra background on my work laptop, personal laptop, and on a giant 65in monitor out on the floor :rofl:

Iā€™m pretty excited!!

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
hmm, pander to the instant gratification generation and release something asap or take their time to prove and perfect everything...folks please halp, I'm not sure which is better :dunno:

:popcorn:
Instant gratification? Not my generation. Itā€™s been a long long time coming out with this car and we have zero from Toyota, zero! To each their own, lost the excitement for me.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Instant gratification? Not my generation. Itā€™s been a long long time coming out with this car and we have zero from Toyota, zero! To each their own, lost the excitement for me.
Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives.

Car is coming baby, it'll be here before you know it.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
They lost my interest when no manual was a reality.. but Iā€™m a car enthusiast as much as the other guy and even if Iā€™m not buying Iā€™m always keen to know whatā€™s going on.

Iā€™ll probably never buy this car if it were auto only appliance from BMW with a Toyota name.. just like I never had an interest to buy the R35 GTR.

No excitement.. so zero?

Last edited: