Wind Noise & Buffeting Fixes

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Gloss black option on the way.....

20200123_155458.jpg
For this did you need to make the Deflectors thicker or did you just apply paint and everything to the original unpainted deflectors? Seems quite thin on some of the edges.
Sponsored

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
Gloss black option on the way.....

20200123_155458.jpg
I may get another set off you, gloss this time

The ones on my car a literally magic compared to not having them

Went for solo drive today, nice day & not too hot with the windows down, it was great, one up one down, speed didn't matter either :cool:

My partner doesn't like the windows down, it blows her hair around, I suggested a hair tie, you can guess the response I got :rolleyes:

30MilesOffshore

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Any reviews on the Verus deflectors? How do they match up with the OE Carbon Mirrors? Would be interested in seeing a picture or two if you have one.

w_1_0013737_verus-wind-deflectors-gr-supra-20_550.jpg

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
While looking at my car this morning I had a weird thought. I wonder if they had the intake and hood vents open when they were doing aero testing and early road testing? Not an expert in aerodynamics by any stretch, but since those fake hood vents are aimed down the A pillar for the most part, I figure if they weren't plugged the air from the engine bay would likely create a bit of turbulence right in that same area.

I'd be interested if anyone with opened ports or an aftermarket hood with them open (I think the Seibon CF models are open) still has the same level of buffeting. Hell, for all I know it might just make it even worse, but it could be just enough turbulence to make it go away also. :hmm:

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
The problem originates from the A-pillar independent of other features on the car.

The vents don't have an opening under them, it's all metal underneath. They are purely cosmetic.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The problem originates from the A-pillar independent of other features on the car.

The vents don't have an opening under them, it's all metal underneath. They are purely cosmetic.
You are correct at least in the production cars - though it's only one layer and has no structural reinforcement in those areas. The problem is solved by disturbing the air stream at the A-pillar. Pushing a turbulent air stream at a problem area is another common solution - and is all these adhesive canards(ish) do to solve the problem as well. Notice that you can apply them to the trailing edge of the mirror mount, or even tape diffusers to the front of the A-pillar... that's what a vortex wave launched from the hood should be able to do as well - just possibly at the cost of slightly more drag (but with a bonus of extra cooling).

Despite not being functional, the design and ultimate inclusion of them is entirely functional - just for the race car not for the production car. Essentially (at least if Tada-san is to be believed ;)) they were added after they were required on the race car... theoretically, if they hadn't started working on that during finalizing the production car... no fake vents, wing mounting points, etc.

"If you look at the vehicle today, there's holes all over the body," Tada said. "They're just capped on the production car. Those are for the racing model. When the customer goes and converts it to a racing car, or adds those necessary components, those caps come off very easily. So, it's already pre-made, ready to accommodate."

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
Despite not being functional, the design and ultimate inclusion of them is entirely functional - just for the race car not for the production car. Essentially (at least if Tada-san is to be believed ;)) they were added after they were required on the race car... theoretically, if they hadn't started working on that during finalizing the production car... no fake vents, wing mounting points, etc.

"If you look at the vehicle today, there's holes all over the body," Tada said. "They're just capped on the production car. Those are for the racing model. When the customer goes and converts it to a racing car, or adds those necessary components, those caps come off very easily. So, it's already pre-made, ready to accommodate."
That was debunked in mid 2019 after the car launched. There are a couple fake vents up front that could be made barely functional with a lot of work and gutting of some components, but all the others have no chance. The hood vents have structure underneath and are over the top of the strut tower area, so even if you cut the structure out it won't do much. The door vents are tacked on and have no path to anywhere since you'd have to cut the door and the pillar behind it to provide a flow path. And so on. Nobody knows what Tada was getting at, but it's not reality. He made other similar statements that were either lost in translation or misinterpreted.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You should go take a look and measure your hood again... they're behind the strut towers and almost entirely over the fender covers... only the inner ~3" intrudes into the actual engine bay - in the area just behind the struts (though the front edge would be very close). Unless you meant the hood struts, in which case yes. The biggest issue would be the wiper fluid reservoir on the right side... it's pretty close to that too.

The hood structure has "dimples" on the only framing piece affected - exactly where it would need to be cut to make the vent functional. The far bigger issue would be the fender covers, engine bay seals, etc. which would be in the way of any ducted air directed to them - unless it was just "shot" over the fender cover or piped to just the innermost 3" of the vents from the engine bay.

Anyway I'm not debating that the car, as manufactured, has no functional purpose for them (nor any of the others) - they are clearly just aesthetic pieces... the amount of fabrication required and the ultimate results is certainly debatable however. Though when you're already tearing the interior out of the car and welding in a roll cage, etc. - cutting a door pillar or running ducts for brake cooling, etc. is almost trivial in comparison.

In any case, you've obviously got much more hands-on experience with yours than I've got on mine, having only purchased it last month.

Last edited:

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
TT Diffusers in Gloss black almost ready for purchase. you asked, we listen. Where is it?

IMG_20200207_202423_676.jpg

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
TT Diffusers in Gloss black almost ready for purchase. you asked, we listen. Where is it?

IMG_20200207_202423_676.jpg
:cool: Do you have a link, I couldn't see them on your website ?

Opps sorry, I read it properly now I'm awake, they are almost ready :)

Last edited:

NASDboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Mk5
Hello guys, just wanted to share my experiment with it, tried a bunch of methods to find a pretty way to fix it cheap, came up with real carbon fiber canards , not perfect looks wise but liking the way it turned out, tested 90 + mph , no buffering. Attached photos for those interested , total cost was $30.

F32DC690-4190-4C41-87DF-AEEDA8E89675.jpeg

947A7157-0587-45E2-B584-B406A7178476.jpeg
Sponsored