Wind Noise & Buffeting Fixes

Discussion in 'Issues, Warranty, Recalls, TSB' started by kona61, Aug 1, 2019.

1. 30MilesOffshore

30MilesOffshore Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2020 Supra
    Liked:
    @tadda, That's exactly the setup I have been using for a few weeks. It works just fine at cutting down the wind noise. And it actually blends in pretty nice. I don't even see them when I'm walking up to the car or looking at it. I got them off Amazon for $5 for a pack (one pack has 4 of them in there). Check out my pics on page 19 - #278 of this thread.

tadda likes this.
  2. CantEven_Supra

CantEven_Supra Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2016 Cayman GT4
    Liked:
    if you were going to try and put a percentage of reduced noise what would your best guess number be?

3. 30MilesOffshore

Car(s):
    2020 Supra
    Liked:
    #303 Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
    I would say the reduction is about 90%. I've been driving around alot lately with the windows down, even on the highways and don't have any issues. I think there are times when my ears are playing tricks on me and I have flashbacks to the buffeting sound but realize that it is just a cross wind coming into the cabin and is gone as quick as it showed up. For $10 you can't beat it, and it actually hides/blends in with the mirror and pillar pretty good.

4. KeshyMKV

KeshyMKV Well-Known Member

First Name:
    V
    Car(s):
    2020 MKV Supra - 3.0 Premium (On order)
    Liked:
    Supra Owner
    Garage Profiles:
    a90moe likes this.
  5. CarGuy11

CarGuy11 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2020 Supra Prem/Assist DS Blue, 2016 C7 Corvette Z51, 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    Liked:
    Here is the cheap solution video review. It solves wind buffeting below 85mph.

6. AnthonyArcaro

AnthonyArcaro Member

First Name:
    Anthony
    Car(s):
    2020 Toyota Supra MKV
    Liked:
    I know there is another topic for this elsewhere on the forums however I did not want this to get lost in the topic. This gained a ton of traction on the Facebook groups so I felt the need to post it here.

I found an extremely cheap fix (comparing to other products on the market) for the wind buffering issue. I used these door guards here on Amazon: Hypersonic Black Car Door Edge... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCK6STT?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The finish on these match the gloss black almost perfectly. Each set comes with 4 guards and 2 of them have no logo on them. All you have to do is slightly trim the bottom and stick them on (see photos). A few people also found carbon fiber door guards that worked.

I noticed that it does reduce the noise to nothing however at certain speeds and crosswinds you may hear it at times. But for less than $10... why not?

P.S. I am by no means affiliated with the product makers or any of the related products.

Hope this helps,
    Anthony

92A56930-3B15-4ACE-9A8A-0DCDA4D7C093.jpeg

3E363340-06A2-4D32-A810-A0C240B9B2EE.jpeg

imoj1, Ghostop, tadda and 1 other person like this.
  7. psimzia

psimzia Active Member

First Name:
    Pritesh Simzia
    Car(s):
    MKV5 Supra 2020, 08 Mustang GT (Steeda Cold Air), Lexus ES350
    Liked:
    IT
    Thank You Anthony:headbang:

8. CantEven_Supra

CantEven_Supra Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2016 Cayman GT4
    Liked:
    Ordered these off amazon.....package arrived.....cut open package.....package empty.....*facepalm*

meganrenee and gdi2290 like this.
  9. Angryjames

Angryjames New Member

Car(s):
    2020 Supra
    Liked:
    I did it on mine, (the Cheap Amazon way) I would say about 90%, the faster you go the more you notice, I am sure exact placement can become a factor.

For the money, It was well worth it. I have been wanting to cruise around on weekend mornings, and feel the cool air, now I can.

10. 65sohc

65sohc Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ken
    Car(s):
    2020 Supra, 65 GTO restomod, 66 Mustang restomod
    Liked:
    I just installed the $9 Hypersonic door edge guards. They transformed the car from having an intolerable amount of wind buffeting to having probably the most pleasant amount of air movement of any car I have ever owned. They are also completely unobtrusive and look like they belong there. There is one interesting caveat, however. With the driver window up and the passenger window down the buffeting, for whatever reason, is just as bad as before. Fortunately I never drive that way so it is of little consequence. Driver down, passenger up is my preferred style. This was possible before if you cracked the passenger window just the right amount which was an irritant. Now it's just driver down and go. Many thanks to CarGuy11.

ThePhamtom, CarGuy11 and kona61 like this.
  11. Toolman

Toolman New Member

Car(s):
    Supra Premium, Absolute Zero
    Liked:
    Thanks for saving me at least $100... works perfect for me, took all of 10 minutes to install and you wouldn't know they weren't stock unless you looked closely...

ThePhamtom likes this.
  12. wolf_kyle

wolf_kyle Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kyle
    Car(s):
    2020 supra GR, 1996 NA Miata, 2014 Camry SE
    Liked:
    What is this called? i tried to scan the bar code but nothing is popping up anymore.

13. 30MilesOffshore

Car(s):
    2020 Supra
    Liked:
  14. 65sohc

65sohc Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ken
    Car(s):
    2020 Supra, 65 GTO restomod, 66 Mustang restomod
    Liked:
    I think the door edge guard looks much better. The gloss black matches the surrounding area perfectly and unless you look for it you don't know it's there. I don't think I'd want to see this every time I got into my car.

15. 30MilesOffshore

Car(s):
    2020 Supra
    Liked:
    Totally agree that the door edge guard is much less conspicuous and same price range. You wouldn't even know it was there. I would try that over the floor molding. I've been using the door edge guard for months and forget that it is even there as it blends in easily with the car.