Wind Noise & Buffeting Fixes

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 1998 E36 M3 LS3 Twin Turbo
I wonder if it would be worth approaching these guys and see if they have a usable outer mold line for the Supra that they'd be willing to share (in a non-compete way):

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/prl-motorsports-introduction.1797/#post-52435

I did see a few 3D models online geared towards graphics and game development that might work. They seemed to be fairly high fidelity but there's no way to really inspect the geometry without paying first.
I can get a complete outer scan. It's not super detailed but it is in .stl format and a 3D image file. If you think that might work let me know and we can communicate via email.

Hard to tell if they would be willing to donate their scan for this development without wanting to sell the part themselves.
Sponsored

Supra Dupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV LE (Nocturnal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
I donā€™t have anything to add here other than I would be very interested in purchasing a carbon fiber solution to this problem (as long as it matches the carbon fiber of the mirror caps) - so thereā€™s at least one other person who would be willing to dish out some $ if someone makes this thing. ;-)

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I donā€™t have anything to add here other than I would be very interested in purchasing a carbon fiber solution to this problem (as long as it matches the carbon fiber of the mirror caps) - so thereā€™s at least one other person who would be willing to dish out some $ if someone makes this thing. ;-)
Yes no matter the end result there will definitely be a carbon fiber option. I have the resources here locally to get them made in high quality carbon fiber and if someone wants to send me the mirror covers I can have them match those.

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Definitely not what... won't fit or won't stop the wind buffeting?
Both. They would not fit and doubt that design on the end would remove the buffeting. Any product developed from this effort would not be made in China and it would be hand laid carbon fiber, this is on the far end of low quality.

Fast_Freddie

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Turbulence Gray Premium, 2005 Evo VIII
Vehicle Showcase
Both. They would not fit and doubt that design on the end would remove the buffeting. Any product developed from this effort would not be made in China and it would be hand laid carbon fiber, this is on the far end of low quality.
I know it is low quality, that is inferred... but why do you think they won't fit? Aren't they the same mirrors as the BMW X2? If they did fit (which I think they do) and they mitigate the buffeting a bit, for $140 who could argue?

NitroA90

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5 Supra
Here is my prototype for a fix for the wind buffeting. Its not pretty at the moment but man does it work!

IMG_6642.jpg

IMG_6643.jpg

IMG_6644.jpg

Fast_Freddie

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Turbulence Gray Premium, 2005 Evo VIII
Vehicle Showcase
BTW LS3twins... here is a comparison pic of the mounting tabs on a reproduction mirror cap that speed industry currently sells, and a pic of the same view on the ebay version...

Carbon Fiber Mirror Cap Speed Industry.jpeg

Ebay CF cap.jpg

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
I can get a complete outer scan. It's not super detailed but it is in .stl format and a 3D image file. If you think that might work let me know and we can communicate via email.

Hard to tell if they would be willing to donate their scan for this development without wanting to sell the part themselves.
PM sent.

Bosstee

First Name
Bastian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Itā€™s not terrible- everything said so far seems true - speed at which it begins, closing one window most of the way to mitigate, etc...

One thing for those who havenā€™t experienced it, itā€™s a very rapid almost vibrating buffeting. Not the usual buffeting you might be accustomed to.
Sponsored