First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everybody,

I was just curious if anyone had done anything about the thrumming we get when we open the windows? I think it's pretty unbearable above 50 mph or so and would like to do something about it. I recall that some other people had complained about it as well?

I mocked up a wind diffuser similar to those mounted to Porsche's and am curious if others would be interested in it if it worked?

I test fit a to-scale drawing of it and it seems it will work.

The hope is that it will stick to the plastic piece between the mirror and the door.

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (6).png

Screenshot (7).png

IMG-7243.JPG
Sponsored

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
I noticed it during a drive today. I work in aerodynamics and think it's fixable, but it's not my car so I can't really fiddle with it. Have you identified the mirror gusset as the source? I got the impression it was a buffeting from the A-pillars. In any case, I think you could do some trial and error testing with tape and wood parts to sort it out.

Ryanthetemp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Past: E28 M5, E24 M6, E30 325is
Maybe I’m just deaf but we had the windows down at 130 mph and that’s when I felt it was an issue. Normal street cruising speeds I haven’t noticed any severe buffeting. I do have the trunk cover, not sure if that’s a factor or if they all come that way but maybe it’s helping cut the air up somehow.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
I noticed it during a drive today. I work in aerodynamics and think it's fixable, but it's not my car so I can't really fiddle with it. Have you identified the mirror gusset as the source? I got the impression it was a buffeting from the A-pillars. In any case, I think you could do some trial and error testing with tape and wood parts to sort it out.
+1

Also, the small 2 seater interior cabin would cause more internal turbulence compared to a 2+2. The big smooth A pillars only seem to amplify it.

“Wind buffeting typically occurs when an unstable shear layer is established at the upstream edge of the window opening, along the A-pillar in the case of front-side window buffeting. Vortices are shed from this location and travel downstream along the side of the vehicle to the structure. When these vortices reach the B-pillar, they interact with the B-pillar to generate acoustic waves that propagate inside and outside the passenger compartment. When the forward-moving waves reach the A-pillar, they trigger more vortices that move back to the B-pillar. At certain travel speeds and for certain window and cabin geometries, this process generates self-sustaining oscillations that can create large pressure variations in the cabin that are uncomfortable and annoying for vehicle passengers.”

80ED011E-F9DD-429C-ADF6-B59189F30C4E.jpeg

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
That is a great description and diagram. If that is the mechanism, then I can think of a few things to try -- one would be trip strips or some type of surface roughness applied to the A-pillar. Another would be some type of fence or tabs on the A-pillar. A third would be vortex generators along the A-pillar. It's a pity we don't have CAD for the Supra, otherwise I could explore this with CFD. It will have to be "cut and try" aerodynamics by an owner.

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
Not sure if this is related but Toyota added these on the +2014 Tundra/Sequoia for some reason. Might be related to this issue.

2007-2013
s-l300.jpg

2014-2020
13.jpg

samoht

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'96 RX-7
In Japan, it's really common to have wind deflectors, semi-transparent strips of plastic that clip on and run down the leading and top edges of the front window opening. So I'd almost be surprised if there aren't already some such devices available in say Autobacs for the new Supra.

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Sti, 2005 Forester XT
I am also sure Toyota will come up with aftermarket parts to counter this issue

Supra Dupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV LE (Nocturnal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
In Japan, it's really common to have wind deflectors, semi-transparent strips of plastic that clip on and run down the leading and top edges of the front window opening. So I'd almost be surprised if there aren't already some such devices available in say Autobacs for the new Supra.
Those plastic strips that come on the windows of most cars in Japan (in case you want to google them they're most commonly referred to as ドアバイザー or サイドバイザー) are actually not wind guards - it rains a lot over there and, back in the day when ACs weren't that common, they were a way to have your window open a little bit without water getting in. They're nice because if it's raining and you pull up to a drive-thru and open your window, water won't come pouring into your car. Having said that, the ones that are made as basically rain guards may not be designed to be effective wind guards, so you'd have to make sure that it's the right one when buying. ;-)

twarner776

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE, Audi A6
I was talking with Tada-san about this issue. If anyone have this issue, if you can tell me more in-depth would be great. Like How fast you were going and/or when you start getting wind buffeting.

Thanks
40-50 mph with both windows down..... It's ridiculous

qmantran

First Name
Q
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti G37S
Toyota tech here and I can attest to the wind buffeting noise. Test drove the Supra and speeds above 40MPH with both windows completely down the wind noise is terrible. Impossible to drive the vehicle above 40+ mph with the windows down for more than 5 minutes.

I was able to make the wind buffet noise go away by rolling the window up 80% of the way to where only 2-3 inches of the window is actually open.

Supra Dupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV LE (Nocturnal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking to take a cross-country road trip in the car in a couple of months, so if all you smart folks could figure this thing out by then that would be great. ;-)
Sponsored